The Dribble Drive Motion Offense

AUGoo

I went to the Coach Calipari website to see what kind of offense Kentucky ran after watching them choke against WVU.  Coach Cal runs the dribble drive motion offense.  What I saw of UTEP, they appeared to run the same kind of offense.  It appears to be an offense that is mostly one-on-one driving to the hoop and either shooting of dumping it to one of the team mates standing around at the periphery to now do the same or go and get a rebound.

Watching the UK vs WVU game UK appeared to be unable to adjust to what WVU was doing.  Calipari appeared to be unable to make adjustments.  I saw the same thing in the UTEP vs Houston C-USA championship game.  Houston matched up to UTEP in talent and they struggled, unable to make adjustments.

It appears to be an offense that works great as long as you have superior talent.  But when matched up against equal or better talent, they struggle. 

I hate to be a wet blanket on the new coach party, but we do not have superior talent on The Plains at this time and will take some time to gain that talent.  The other Calipari legacy is to leave a program about the time it is being investigated by the NCAA.

I hope that I eat these words, but I think what we need on The Plains is a smart, team approach b-ball program.  We may certainly get an upgrade in attitude and talent with this coach, but I don't believe in the Calipari school of b-ball and think that this system will only get us so far before we become frustrated and decide to find the thinking, team oriented coach that we will need at Auburn.

I hope I have to eat my hat!

Kentucky had tons of good looks against WVU. They just couldn't hit anything.

Therein lies the key. Auburn has lived and died by the three for the last few years, but if you make your shots, that's ok. It's the same with any offense; if the shots aren't falling, it doesn't matter how good the strategy is.

I think this offense will be successful here. And about CTB leaving in 4 years I don't think it'll happen. He's in a power confrence, top notch arena, and great money. All the reason to stay here as long as he's successful.

Actually, if you have been watching the tournament from the sweet 16 and up until now you will notice that almost every team runs this same style of offense.  Everybody's doing it.  I personally dont like it but evidently the players do.  It is also basically what all NBA teams do as well. But you have to have good perimeter play for this to work effectively.  If you watch a Kentucky game they start out shooting from the perimeter to setup this offense.  Lebo tried this but you also have to play defense which Kentucky will do and Auburn did not. 

Barbee is intelligent enough to run his offense according to his talent. He'll recruit to get where he wants us to be. Sadly,it will take a little time. He is worth waiting on imo. WDE!!!!!

WVU shot like 9 3s in the first half. When has that ever happened? The were a lot of factors besides that. UK was young and thought they had to match 3 for 3. They were like 2 for 20 or something like that. If they would have just played there game they would have won.

They were actually 0-21 before they hit their first 3 and West Virginia was so hot they could have thrown it up backwards and still made the 3's in the first half. I don't think the guy that started this topic is giving much credit to West Virginia. They have one of the better defensive teams in the last few years. Shoot, when Auburn played them either last year or the year before, we could hardly even get a shot off against them. Also, in the Kentucky game, Wall had some really bad turnovers. You can not blame that on the offense. Any offense will be better than what we ran the last few years. Maybe Barbee will at least teach these guys some ball screens instead of the "everybody spread out around the three point line and do perimeter passes until someone is open" approach.

It wasn't the three pointers that got them beat, it was the missed free throws.  You are gonna have nights when the threes don't go down but there is no excuse for poor free throw shooting.  The pundits said it was their weakness all along and it finally caught up to them.

As I recall, UTEP was at least playing in their conference championship game.  Last I looked, UK won the SEC and was in the elite 8.  As I recall, Auburn hasn't done either in recent memory. 

I can only hope we can complain about getting knocked out of the elite 8 or losing the SEC championship game.

If you guys played basketball its prob easier to understand what I'm saying. Its really close to the Memphis offense they ran before Kentucky. I ran it back in high school..its mostly just 4 guards/3 guards with a versatile 4 man. This is all around the big man. It can vary but what most teams do is dribble and hand off between 3 out of the 4 guards. Once a guard gets into the paint its 2 on 1 he can either shoot or should have an easy dish to the big man on the opposite block. You can make set plays out of it. Even though it is a dribble drive, you have to be able to shoot, like in any offense

no, kentucky lost to WVU because they went like 2 for 26 from 3 point or something like that.  all WVU did the entire game was pack the paint and dared them to shoot threes and if they had made 30% of them they would have won.  This offense is a great offense and generally has ways of dissecting every type of defense thrown at it.

Yeah, you have to shoot over the top of that zone to get them out of the paint.  Kentucky was hitting nothing so West Virginia had no reason to quit clogging the middle. Kentucky had wide open looks and they were not hitting anything.

Kentucky's jump shooting was suspect all season long. I think the plan was to take that chance and give up a few outside looks and not let D. Cousins control the paint and win the game for them. Stay in tight, get in the passing lanes and frustrate the big man all night long. With a team with that much talent you just gotta pick your poison and hope for the best.

The Dribble Drive Attack Motion Offense only works as planned if you have 4 players on the court that have the ability to shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. It is considered a unscoutable offense because of its ability to adjust to what the defense does. It is based in rules rather than a pattern. It seems as though it is just street ball, but those who truely run the DDAMO have a method to the madness, but the method only works with a strong perimeter game because the only thing that can create space in the lane against a zone is a good perimeter game regardless of your offense you run. The true DDMAO uses a weakside post player to screen away and be in a strong position for a dish from a driving perimeter player or a rebound from the strongside. It does not require superior talent to work, it requires patience and execution just like any other offesne worth it's salt.

:wareagle:

The Dribble Drive Attack Motion Offense only works as planned if you have 4 players on the court that have the ability to shoot the 3 and drive to the basket. It is considered a unscoutable offense because of its ability to adjust to what the defense does. It is based in rules rather than a pattern. It seems as though it is just street ball, but those who truely run the DDAMO have a method to the madness, but the method only works with a strong perimeter game because the only thing that can create space in the lane against a zone is a good perimeter game regardless of your offense you run. The true DDMAO uses a weakside post player to screen away and be in a strong position for a dish from a driving perimeter player or a rebound from the strongside. It does not require superior talent to work, it requires patience and execution just like any other offesne worth it's salt.

:wareagle:

couldn't have said it better myself.

Good read, of course I could have done without the "Auburn, even Auburn" line dude had.

Actually, if you have been watching the tournament from the sweet 16 and up until now you will notice that almost every team runs this same style of offense.  Everybody's doing it.  I personally dont like it but evidently the players do.  It is also basically what all NBA teams do as well. But you have to have good perimeter play for this to work effectively.  If you watch a Kentucky game they start out shooting from the perimeter to setup this offense.  Lebo tried this but you also have to play defense which Kentucky will do and Auburn did not. 

I would imagine that if this is the case that everyone is running it, that there is a spectrum from mostly motion offense with some dribble drive to mostly dribble drive with some motion.  Like you, AUn, I don't like it.  I don't like the standing around part of this offense and prefer to see motion on offense.  I want my guys working together for a shot.

Archived