Bodda getta?

EricH79

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It't one of the most pathetically ignorant cheers I've ever heard. But that's just my opinion.

you are ignorant sir

+1

Good for you!

It't one of the most pathetically ignorant cheers I've ever heard. But that's just my opinion.

No, that would be rammer jammer, meathead.

That's a good story of how it originated.  My parents graduated from AU in '72, so I'll ask them if they remember the origins at all.

What did your parents major in? My father got his degree in civil engineering in 72...

My dad was a business major (Sigma Nu) and my mom a family and child services major (AD Pi).

Yeah, I kinda doubt they crossed paths...cool to know they were there at the same time though!

you are ignorant sir

I agree Janzster.. My opinion is that you're opinion sounds like a bammer's opinion!  :-\

No, that would be rammer jammer, meathead.

Rammer Jammer has it's place... After an Auburn Iron Bowl win.

You know... this version:

We just beat the H*** outta you!

RAMMER JAMMER YELLA HAMMER GO TO H*** ALABAMA!

:we:

Okay last post on this issue I promise...

My favorite Auburn moment ever was the 22-15 Iron Bowl win (Fear the Thumb) in T-town.

Quentin Groves led the band in Rammer Jammer, and I was lucky to be in the band for it, all of 3 rows from him.

That's a good story of how it originated.  My parents graduated from AU in '72, so I'll ask them if they remember the origins at all.

What did your parents major in? My father got his degree in civil engineering in 72...

My son's father got his degree in civil engineering in 1972 as well!

Boda Getta Boda Getta Boda Getta Bah Rah, Rah, Rah Sis Boom Bah Wegl,

Wegl WAR DAMN EAGLE Kick 'em in the butt Big Blue - HEY!"

The Auburn University chant Boda Getta has a long history beginning with

Pat Dye, former Auburn football coach, addressing the crowd about the

first time Auburn played Alabama.

He told of how the sun was setting in the west, producing an orange sky

that the shakers brandished by the fans, gave off a blue cloud,

resulting in an orange and blue aura around the stadium right before a

memorable Auburn victory.

There's your answer!

http://www.thecornernews.com/index.php/loveliest_village/comments/boda-getta-bbq/

I have to respectfully disagree with the above and point to my post on page 2... fall of '74 at the latest and it was "body."  I saw Shug leave and Barfield come in before graduating in March of '79.  I have forgotten much but I believe others in my age group will recall this as well.

:wareagle:

My favorite Auburn moment ever was the 22-15 Iron Bowl win (Fear the Thumb) in T-town.

Quentin Groves led the band in Rammer Jammer, and I was lucky to be in the band for it, all of 3 rows from him.

^^^^^^^I love this!!!

oh really, well you're a dumb schmuck! but thats just my opinion.

^^^^^^^I love this!!!

Who doesn't? There is a picture of it floating around the web.

The only one of Auburn's cheers that absolutely sucks is 2 bits,

A) its very High Schoolish

B) its been around since 1856 and its one tradition that needs to go

C) I will never cheer along with it.

D) its not unique to Auburn

But you are dead wrong, Bodda Getta and Track em are uniquely Auburn and are great cheers.

There may be information linking Dye with the cheer, but I have to agree with those that think it went farther back than the Dye era. I was at Auburn in the early 70's and I seem to remember it being used then -- so add my vote to the pre-Dyeist group.

I'll have to agree with Bunn1 on the 2 bits cheer. I hate that cheer. It needs to go. Whatever happened to, S-O-C-K-I-T sock it to me baby! Unnn I like it, Unnn I want some more!

I was a walk on in 67-68 before having to leave school (alas, forgot grades were a part of the equation  :P).  But, although at my advanced age (60) and having CRS disease (can't remember s**t), it seems I recall the cheer way back then too.  I've always assumed from the rah, rah, rah, sis, boom bah part that the cheer even predated the sixtys. :dunno:

P.S.  Uniquely Auburn....one of my favorites.  WDE!  Kick em in the butt big blue!

• 1 year later...

Cool to know the origins of it. I thought it was even older than 1973 because of the way it sounded. It sounds like it had some influence from the first cheers in the South. 1892 Auburn versus Georgia game: Georgia - Rah! Rah! Rah! Georgia! and Auburn's - Rah, Rah, Ree! Rah, Rah Ree! Alabama A-M-C! Dr. George Petrie stated there's had more punch. There's sounded like a War cry, and ours sounded like a mild announcement. LOL!

I think it came from Pat Dye when he was talking about playing Alabama for the first time something about the color of the sun and shakers maybe. :dunno:

It's much older than Dye. I heard it during the Jordan era. Never been a big fan of it.

I'm from Auburn, High School class of 1973.  That was a cheer the AU band cooked up while I was in High School, so it goes all the way back to the Shug Jordan era. We picked it up in the high school band when Mr. Goff wasn't around.  (He'd have loved the cheer, but Mrs. Goff would have gotten onto him for letting us using profanity.)

It's not boddaa, my recollection is

Body getta body getta boddy getta bod

Rah Rah Rah! Sis boom bah!

Weegle Weegle War D**n Eagle

Kick 'em in the b*tt Big Blue!

Somebody scratched it down on a scrap piece of paper, so the spelling may not be right.  I can still see it in my mind when I think back. Those were the days!

Did a little research, and this is partly true.  According to Hidden History of Auburn, pp. 97ff., it originated with the Auburn band in the mid-60s.  The book mentions the HS band learning it right around 1972.

Archived