PG for next season

linvihv

Who will play PG for the basketball next season? Has there been anymore talk of a PG transfer to AU this year? At one time I heard the PG from Texas was considering transferring to AU for family reasons and that he would not have to sit out a year. Any news on that?

Also, do we have another scholarship to give?

I figure it would be Wallace, yeah he's kinda short, but he's quick down the floor and has great ball handling skills. War Eagle!

If he does not transfer who will play PG?

The leading candidate at this time would be Frankie Sullivan, though many agree that he would be better suited at SG.  It's still early and lots can happen between now and the first game.  Some think Wallace has what it takes to start at the point.

I figure it would be Wallace, yeah he's kinda short, but he's quick down the floor and has great ball handling skills. War Eagle!

Point guard is the one position where lack of height is not always a liability. Sure you would like a 6' 9" guy like Magic Johnson, but there are numerous players like Calvin Murphy of the Rockets in the 70's who really got it done and he was 5' 9"...Here is what Murphy accomplished...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/murphca01.html

Point guard is the one position where lack of height is not always a liability. Sure you would like a 6' 9" guy like Magic Johnson, but there are numerous players like Calvin Murphy of the Rockets in the 70's who really got it done and he was 5' 9"...Here is what Murphy accomplished...

Oh yeah, no doubt! I'm a big Wallace fan! I just threw his height in there because of some of the "Super Opinions" on this site that I figured would bash me for naming one of the shortest(if not THE shortest) guy on the team. I think he could be one of the better ball handlers on this years team, and I just really like watching him play cause he is super quick on the floor. War Eagle!

You guys are right, it looks like JWall will play a lot this year.

Depending on how well Andre Malone and Josh Langford can handle the ball by the start of the season, I could see Larry Williams Jr grabbing some playing time. I've played ball with him at the SAC (I understand that's pickup games and not real stiff competition but still..) and he's not bad with the ball in his hands. He's more of a pure scorer, SG type like Frankie but if necessity forced him to play the point then I think we'd be in pretty good hands.

Guys, I'm tryng to get up to speed on AU basketball since Coach Barbee's regime began, but I still have a lot to learn.  When you said "JWall", I thought John Wall had transferred to AU!!!!  (I live in Kball country)

Calvin Murphy was not a point guard.  He was a shooting guard.   Even more amazing.

He was amazing and proves that size can be overcome with desire and talent. Also, he was a point guard the majority of his career...

http://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/profile_player.asp?pid=2025

Steve Nash might be on of the best true PG's out there and he is 6'1" barefoot and 6'3" with shoes

John Stockton is THE best distributing point guard in the history of the game, and he's 6'1.

I actually don't like having too much height at point guard, because it gives that much more time between when the ball leaves his hand, bounces on the floor, and returns to his other hand. As we all know, in sports, a tenth of a second can make all the difference in the world, and that little bit extra might be just enough time for some super quick defender to swipe it away.

There just aren't that many Magic Johnsons in the world...

Steve Nash might be on of the best true PG's out there and he is 6'1" barefoot and 6'3" with shoes

Uh, yes, you are correct.

John Stockton is THE best distributing point guard in the history of the game, and he's 6'1.

I actually don't like having too much height at point guard, because it gives that much more time between when the ball leaves his hand, bounces on the floor, and returns to his other hand. As we all know, in sports, a tenth of a second can make all the difference in the world, and that little bit extra might be just enough time for some super quick defender to swipe it away.

Very good point. If I might add, having an extra advantage in height department helps because if you're about 4 or 5 inches taller than that player who is guarding you, you can shoot much more comfortably.

As for the best point guard - I'd have to go with Stockton also, but Nash is close.

Scoonie Penn killed us one year in the tourny. I can't remember exactly how tall he was but he was under 6 feet.

Very good point. If I might add, having an extra advantage in height department helps because if you're about 4 or 5 inches taller than that player who is guarding you, you can shoot much more comfortably.

As for the best point guard - I'd have to go with Stockton also, but Nash is close.

Nash is the best distributor in the game right now, I don't think there's much question. I haven't watched him enough to know how he compares to Stockton, but I've seen him do enough things that made me look twice to agree there probably isn't much difference between the two.

If Chris Denson signs and qualifies, I guess he'll be the point guard to replace Reed. War Eagle!

Archived