Ward granted waiver

Are you freaking serious?  Here is the missing piece to the Barbee puzzle!!  Go get him, Coach!!!

I don't believe we have a scholarship available at the moment. He would need to be a walk-on or we need to free up a scholarship from an existing player.

I feel pretty confident now that we're going to find a way to free up a scholarship for him, since he's been granted the waiver. Let's hope, anyway!

It might be a bad character move to take someone's scholly away from them but in time's of need bad stuff happens

WE need to let someone go to sign this kid

Guys, if you read the article it talks about his injury; NOT about a family issue which would make him eligible to transfer closer to home.  Says nothing about his release.  Sorry, but I'm a cynic.

Interesting...I'll be watching and waiting for this to play out. I would love to have this kid. He's from my high school and he can flat out play ball. I would hate to pull a scholarship from a player but things happen in life like this sometimes. We don't always get what we want.

Guys, if you read the article it talks about his injury; NOT about a family issue which would make him eligible to transfer closer to home.   Says nothing about his release.  Sorry, but I'm a cynic.

You're right it says nothing about a release. I thought those matters of medical hardship were ruled on by the NCAA and not the conference or school.  :dunno:

Guys, if you read the article it talks about his injury; NOT about a family issue which would make him eligible to transfer closer to home.   Says nothing about his release.  Sorry, but I'm a cynic.

The first sentence of the article states.."Texas guard Varez Ward and forward Shawn Williams each has been granted a medical hardship waiver from the Big 12 for the 2009-10 season, the school announced Thursday."

A medical hardship waiver is another term for Medical redshirt.  Which grants him another year of elegibility.  This is the big first step in getting released to play somewhere else.  

Here's a link    https://admin.xosn.com/pdf6/104652.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

The first sentence of the article states.."Texas guard Varez Ward and forward Shawn Williams each has been granted a medical hardship waiver from the Big 12 for the 2009-10 season, the school announced Thursday."

A medical hardship waiver is another term for Medical redshirt.  Which grants him another year of elegibility.  This is the big first step in getting released to play somewhere else.  

Here's a link    https://admin.xosn.com/pdf6/104652.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^exactly..just another year of eligibilty is all^^^^^^^^^^^article says nothing about a hardship medical transfer...

You're right it says nothing about a release. I thought those matters of medical hardship were ruled on by the NCAA and not the conference or school.  :dunno:

What is confusing is medical waivers are usually not granted until all eligibility is completed. He hasn`t completed his eliginility. Also, this was granted by the conference whereas these I thought were usually granted by the NCAA. This may be a precursor to a release being granted by the NCAA or the school. But to say the least, me nor most of us really know. Just a lot of wishing and hoping at this point. Looking at his stats leaves we more underwhelmed than before though.

I'll tell you this.  Hearing from someone close to Ward, I can assure you that he wants to come home and play for Auburn.  There is, though, quite a bit that still needs to happen.  We'll just have to wait it out and see how it all plays out.

I equate this to the Tyler Smith situation at UT.  The previous posts are, I believe, dead on.  However, I have the same info as J-S, and that Coach Barbee wants him very badly.

This being the business that it is, if we need a scholarship to sign him I say cut  someone loose. You know that someone, perhaps Chubb, is never going to play much. Scholarships on a year-to-year basis. If we want and need Ward, make a scholarship available by letting go of someone who will never play.

Barbee will not force anyone out but he will make strong suggestions and help kids to get the transfers that they're looking for IF they so desire.  Some would just try and force them out but our guy has some class and dignity.  First year coaches have to do these things.  There is, though, a right way and a wrong way to them.

This being the business that it is, if we need a scholarship to sign him I say cut  someone loose. You know that someone, perhaps Chubb, is never going to play much. Scholarships on a year-to-year basis. If we want and need Ward, make a scholarship available by letting go of someone who will never play.

Everybody always wants to cut the white kid from the basketball team first.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I don't care what color Chubb is. He couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. If he could, he would have played last season when we were so pathetically thin in the paint.  ;D

By the way, as someone posted. This type of thing is done. It is done many times by new coaches. I believe that Barbee should be very honest with every player he does not believe will play. The benefit of that to the player is that he can transfer to a team where he can contribute.

So we are all about honoring scholarships for football but won't dare to keep a promise to a player (Chubbs or whoever) who hasn't even done anything wrong? Thats not  right, unless he wants release.

Honor the scholarships that Auburn has handed out unless they've done something wrong.

It happens in both sports. Dye cut some loose when he arrived. Sometimes they just find a way to do it so that the player leaves on his own.

It happens in both sports. Dye cut some loose when he arrived. Sometimes they just find a way to do it so that the player leaves on his own.

Tuberville cut players loose. Saban cut players loose at bama and caught hell from fans at a number of schools including Auburn. It happens though it isn`t fun for the coach, the player, or his family.

I remember a kid named Brian Parchinski who signed with Auburn the year before Tuberville's arrival. Tuberville released him from his scholly. His mother was a single parent that couldn't afford to send him to college without that scholarship. She pleaded with CTT to keep him on scholarship to no avail. I know its a business and a new coach wants to build his own team rapidly but that is one story that stood out to me.

Archived