NCAA Regional Talk - Auburn

I spoke with a friend that is a College Baseball expert and he told me that Auburn MUST win at least 2 in Oxford to be considered to host a regional. If Auburn wins 2 and wins a couple at the SEC tourney look for Auburn to be one of the top 16 seeds.

If we don't win at least 2 in Oxford we could be forced to be the #2 seed in the Tallahassee regional and we all know it won't be easy to win that one with FSU playing at home.

Gosh. >:( We always get thrown in FSU's regional. I want to go somewhere else so bad. That makes it almost a must to get 2 in Oxford

So who are the teams being considered then?

Arizona State

Coastal Carolina

TCU

Florida

South Carolina

Texas

Miami

Florida State

Louisville

Virginia

UConn

Georgia Tech

Oklahoma

UCLA

Cal-State Fullerton

Auburn

Ole Miss

Oregon

Clemson

San Diego

Rice

Arkansas

Thank you. There are a few teams on there that do not deserve it over this Auburn team, IMO.  For instance, We beat Arkansas in conference record and head to head.  Oregon actually has a losing Record in conference according to their site (10-11)  http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204892502. 

If we can beat Ole Miss, then that SHOULD take them out of the picture. 

Anyway, as of right now, if the teams you listed are in order, it looks like we would be the last team recieving a regional.  The way I see it: 

If we take the series from Ole Miss and take the SEC tourny... there is no reason not to host a regional.

Guest auburn warrior

win 2 against ole miss this weekend, and at least make it as far as the third or fourth round in the tourney and we'll probably be hosting a regional

Thank you. There are a few teams on there that do not deserve it over this Auburn team, IMO.  For instance, We beat Arkansas in conference record and head to head.  Oregon actually has a losing Record in conference according to their site (10-11)  http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=204892502. 

Anyway, as of right now, if the teams you listed are in order, it looks like we would be the last team recieving a regional.  The way I see it: 

If we take the series from Ole Miss and take the SEC tourny... there is no reason not to host a regional.

Yeah. IMO, we control out own destiny. I think if we take at least 2 and don't lose our first 2 games in Hoover then we are destined to host a regional.

I spoke with a friend that is a College Baseball expert and he told me that Auburn MUST win at least 2 in Oxford to be considered to host a regional. If Auburn wins 2 and wins a couple at the SEC tourney look for Auburn to be one of the top 16 seeds.

If we don't win at least 2 in Oxford we could be forced to be the #2 seed in the Tallahassee regional and we all know it won't be easy to win that one with FSU playing at home.

disagree.....FSU has a little league size ballpark.  we'll hit 150 homeruns if we play down there.  Mummey with a 320' right field alone ='s 75 homeruns.

disagree.....FSU has a little league size ballpark.  we'll hit 150 homeruns if we play down there.  Mummey with a 320' right field alone ='s 75 homeruns.

I understand what you're saying but it's always tough to win in Tallahassee no matter what team you are or how good you hit the ball.

The winner of the SEC tourney gets to host a regional automatically!

I thought the sites were announced before the SEC tournament got over, but as always I could be wrong. Where did you read this?

I thought the sites were announced before the SEC tournament got over, but as always I could be wrong. Where did you read this?

I read it on one of the post that ST put at the top of the baseball message board. They had USCe hosting a regional as the SEC automatic. I just assumed that meant that they were saying they thought USCe would win the tourney and therefore just went ahead and put them as the SEC automatic. But I could be wrong also. They may just mean that the NCAA picks one team to get the automatic bid each year. Which would be dumb when you could just make that the SEC tourney winner like basketball.

I think that if we have any pitching this weekend we'll take 2 of 3 from Ole Miss. Our pitching hasd got much better but its still spotty.

Agreed! Ole Miss is tied with UGA for last in the SEC in hitting w/ a .294 average. If our pitching steps up this weekend, we should win 2 of 3 easy. Pomeranz will be tough on Thurs. night, but he hasn't seen an offense like ours all season. I will go ahead and say that I will be shocked if we don't win on Sunday. Ole Miss' Sunday starter, David Goforth, is awful (he sports a 7.76 ERA). Here's to hoping for a sweep.

I think that if we have any pitching this weekend we'll take 2 of 3 from Ole Miss. Our pitching hasd got much better but its still spotty.

Agreed! Ole Miss is tied with UGA for last in the SEC in hitting w/ a .294 average. If our pitching steps up this weekend, we should win 2 of 3 easy. Pomeranz will be tough on Thurs. night, but he hasn't seen an offense like ours all season. I will go ahead and say that I will be shocked if we don't win on Sunday. Ole Miss' Sunday starter, David Goforth, is awful (he sports a 7.76 ERA). Here's to hoping for a sweep.

This Ole Miss team isn't bidding for a regional hosting spot for nothing.  They can play ball... it won't be easy.

We have a team that needs to score about ten runs to win most games. That's going to be a tall order against Ole Miss.

Our pitching will need to be unusually good and the defense will have to stop making so many errors for us to win this upcoming series.

We have a team that needs to score about ten runs to win most games. That's going to be a tall order against Ole Miss.

Our pitching will need to be unusually good and the defense will have to stop making so many errors for us to win this upcoming series.

I agree in that pitching and defense is the ingredient most important to winning in baseball. Having said that this team is confident and will not back down to anyone so the Ole Miss series will be hotly contested and I for one am really looking forward to it. I know one thing for sure and that is the fact that it is much more fun sitting where we are with a chance to compete for championships then the previous few years. Everyone should be backing this team, baseball fan or not. They are representing AU well...

This Ole Miss team isn't bidding for a regional hosting spot for nothing.  They can play ball... it won't be easy.

Oh, trust me, I know. I'm just saying we SHOULD win on Saturday and hopefully we can at least split the Thurs./Fri. games. But yeah, Swayze Field is going to be a regional-like environment all weekend because not only is the West title on the line but regional hosting aspirations are also on the line. It will be a tough chore, but I'm very confident in this team IF the pitching can hold up.

I was told by someone from the baseball program that if we win 2 in Oxford we will host, no matter what we do in the sec tournament.  Going 2 and out in Hoover might hurt our chances in my opinion, though.

I read where the NCAA is not fond of Auburn getting a regional because we don't draw decent crowds and our park doesn't have a lot of seats, compared to places like Ole Miss.

I think ST has hit it right on the head. We win 2, which it appears we will do, agains OM, then go deep in the SEC tourney, and we are okay. We need to win that stupid 9 AM game in the first round. Bammer is likely opp. I hope so. LSU has a terrible record, but is loaded with talent.  They worry me. But... win that first tourney game and we are in good shape with a veteran team like we have.

I dont think drawing crowds will be a problem if we host a regional. I dont see how the NCAA could possibly deny the SEC Western Division Champion a regional host site. It would be absolutely ignorant if they did.

Archived