Sweeps and Sprint Outs

StatTiger

With all the bells and whistles found in the Gus Malzahn offense, it becomes easy to forget the heart of the offense is built around the running game. With a new starter at quarterback (Cameron Newton), Auburn might become more dependant on the running game until Newton becomes acclimated to his surroundings. The power-sweep was a staple in the Malzahn arsenal in 2009 and will likely be so in 2010. With the new found mobility at the quarterback position, look for the backside options to become more frequent this coming season.

The play…

kentuckypowersweep.jpg

Once again, Coach Malzahn gives the opponent a pre-snap look of pass with the intention of running the football. The “trips” formation to the right, forces Kentucky to overload their left side. Before the snap, Eric Smith motions to the backfield, becoming a lead blocker for Ben Tate on the sweep play. Auburn pulls the RG to give Auburn a numbers advantage to the power side of the formation.

Lee Ziemba (LT) will seal the OLB and Eric Smith will seal the DE. Kodi Burns will engage the CB as Byron Isom pulls to the left to pave a path for Ben Tate. The play works for a healthy 6-yard gain on 1st down. On this play, Andrew McCain (RT) is responsible for the backside DE, crashing down on the run play.

With Cameron Newton, the backside is wide open for a sprint-out option of a run or pass, which would change how the RT engages the backside DE. Darvin Adams is left in single coverage on top with the CB playing off the ball. This opens up a big play potential with Newton running the football or making a quick pass to Adams, while the TE (lined up in the slot) clears the safety and or LB out of the area with a deep post route.

Looks like the defensive lineman or defensive end might be able to contain this one but against a good running QB I see how he might get sucked inside really easy.  If Cam could get outside on this one and get a good block I see Darvin going for 6 points with time to throw deeper.  What do you think?

Looks like the lineman might be able to contain this one but against a good running QB I see how he might get sucked in really easy.  If Cam could get outside on this one and get a good block I see Darvin going for 6 with time to go deeper.  What do you think?

With Newton's size and speed, I like his chances of winning the majority of his 1 on 1 matchups in open space. The opposing defenses will make their share of tackles but Newton will make his plays too.

Looks like the lineman might be able to contain this one but against a good running QB I see how he might get sucked in really easy.  If Cam could get outside on this one and get a good block I see Darvin going for 6 with time to go deeper.  What do you think?

If Newton were to throw it, the blocking scheme would necessarily need to be different to avoid having a lineman downfield penalty called, but it could certainly be transformed into a playaction, giving Newton the run/pass option, without too much trouble.

If Newton were to throw it, the blocking scheme would necessarily need to be different to avoid having a lineman downfield penalty called, but it could certainly be transformed into a playaction, giving Newton the run/pass option, without too much trouble.

Oops I meant defensive lineman.  I started to call him a defensive end and just changed to lineman at the last minute.  I'll fix my original post.

Newton's threat to tuck and run will probably keep any backside defenders honest when pursuing a play.

I know we've all hyped it up, but I believe this offense is going to amaze us more than expected with a running threat at QB.

Newton's threat to tuck and run will probably keep any backside defenders honest when pursuing a play.

I know we've all hyped it up, but I believe this offense is going to amaze us more than expected with a running threat at QB.

agree. even if Newton is not a better "quarterback", he has to be in the game. opposing defenses have to play more conservative and disciplined with him at qb.

Guest gkc81

Stat, given the way that play develops, couldn't Smith release underneath across the field after initally engaging a block to give Newton a short pass option just in front of the line of scrimmage (in case the DE is able to contain Newton)  The TE is in position to nail the LB. 

That was a nice play. It gives us more like power running game. But I'm thinking we could disguise a TE in the left side of the formation, then when the ball is snapped, that specific player could run on his right, giving Newton two choices on his bootleg. Any ideas?

That was a nice play. It gives us more like power running game. But I'm thinking we could disguise a TE in the left side of the formation, then when the ball is snapped, that specific player could run on his right, giving Newton two choices on his bootleg. Any ideas?

Yeah, and I imagine that's exactly what would happen with either the TE or the FB likely holding a block on a linebacker for a beat before slipping into the opposite flat. This sells the run by providing a block on the second level (so the linemen don't have to press forward and get called for a penalty) while also giving Newton a check down route, as you mentioned. The key to him being the check down is that the holding a block for a beat means that, in theory, he'd be coming across just as any pressure might be getting to Cam if the first option is covered.

Ok,  I want to talk about play progression on this one.

The defense failed to shift properly in response to the motion on this play.  Count the number of defensive players in the box on the left side of the play AFTER THE MOTION.  Start counting from the head up of center and go left.

You have 3, the 2 DTs and a LB.  We have 4 people (C, G, T, FB) to block 3.  That equals 6 yards most of the time.

NOW, a defensive coordinator sees this and makes the adjustment.  The proper shift would have been to slide the linebackers in order to make a 4 on 4 match up on that side of the line.  So the next time the defense sees this final (after the motion) formation, they will respond by shifting over.  They don't want to keep losing 6 yards every time, right?

But, by shifting and strengthening that side of the line, they must make a concession elsewhere.  Its the offensive coordinators job to understand that the defense will make the adjustment, and to have the next play ready in the play progression to respond to the adjustment.

So, if they shift to take away the numbers advantage on the sweep, our next play progression could be this play that Stat has already diagrammed. Flip the field left to right on this play and its the same formation (after the motion) as above, with slight differences in the width of the receivers.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=14702.0

Arky has some LBs walked up close on that play, but COUNT THE BODIES in the box on both sides and you will see that Arky is lined up in that play like Kentucky would to stop the sweep.

I really don't feel like I explained that as well as I wanted to, but hopefully you get the picture. 

With Newton they are obviously going to leave the weak-side DE unblocked and if he crashes down Netwon can keep.  Stat, you mentioned having Adams 1-1 on the outside, but if we moved him (or personally on this play I'd rather it be T-Zac, Carr, Reed or Goodwin) to the slot and Trott (Lutz next year) to the outside then you can throw the bubble to the WR or Cam can run.  I think something like this will be our 'base' play and we will see a lot of it, with other plays built off of it as well.

yeah even if one defender breaks containment I'll take Cam 9.5 times out of ten to make him miss or use the truckstick

So 9 times he'll get past the guy, and the other half of the time he'll almost break the tackle and stumble forward for a few yards before going down, or he'll get by the guy 19 times out of 20? :tease:

Archived