Mike Blakely talks recruiting

Im glad he's taking his time but if he is wanting to PLAY as a rb in college then Florida is not the place for him.  I think special teams will be his best option his freshamn year at UF if he commits to them.  AU on the other hand is wide open and need early contributors.

Im glad he's taking his time but if he is wanting to PLAY as a rb in college then Florida is not the place for him.  I think special teams will be his best option his freshamn year at UF if he commits to them.  AU on the other hand is wide open and need early contributors.

I know that Tim Tebow is gone, with Brantley now at QB, and talks of using the two qb system with the talented Trey Burton behind him... I still believe the Big F formation will be used quite a bit in short yardage situations.

I still believe that Blakely would thrive in Malzahns system. Of course, it is hard to say that without wearing the orange and blue glasses.

In the end, if our staff makes him a priority, and he is the "TOP" back that we want... then I believe we will land him.

I have heard that he is at the top of the list right now... only time will tell where he ends up.

With Dyer at Auburn I think it will be hard for him to see much of the field as a freshman though!

Dyer and McCalebb are going to need help in 2011, cant just rely on both of them all season. As we have said many times before, gotta get two backs in the upcoming class.

Florida has pretty bad depth at running back along with us next year (2011), so I think ultimately it will come down to us and the Gaytors.

South Carolina also has bad depth, but I think eventually they will get eliminated based on the fact that they are....South Carolina.

Florida has pretty bad depth at running back along with us next year (2011), so I think ultimately it will come down to us and the Gaytors.

South Carolina also has bad depth, but I think eventually they will get eliminated based on the fact that they are....South Carolina.

Granted none of them go pro, Fla will have Demps, Rainey, Gillislee and Mack Brown in 2011.

We will have Dyer and McCalebb.  Yeah, we've got Smith, but I wouldn't group him in with the RB's.

With Dyer at Auburn I think it will be hard for him to see much of the field as a freshman though!

Fannin will be graduating and Dyer will likely take his spot atop the depth chart; someone will have to step in to take the role that Dyer is set to fill this year.

Nope. You cant compete in the SEC with only 1 rb. We need exactly what we had last year with Tate and McCaleb...a bruiser and a speedster.

MD seems to be a combo of the two. Fanning is gone after this year. Not sure where Smith stands. McCaleb, while he is awesome he has yet to prove his durability.

We will take 1 or 2 rb's this year and probably 1 stud next year.

Luper said right when he got here that they (coaches) want to try to take at least 1 great back every year and would prefer to get 2.

Nope. You cant compete in the SEC with only 1 rb. We need exactly what we had last year with Tate and McCaleb...a bruiser and a speedster.

MD seems to be a combo of the two. Fanning is gone after this year. Not sure where Smith stands. McCaleb, while he is awesome he has yet to prove his durability.

We will take 1 or 2 rb's this year and probably 1 stud next year.

Luper said right when he got here that they (coaches) want to try to take at least 1 great back every year and would prefer to get 2.

Yep - I think we get our stud next year, but get a couple of more than capable backs this year.

Bottom line, we are now only an injury or two from becoming very thin at RB.  I don't know USCe's RB situation other than Marcus, but Florida is loaded.  If they get the Huggins kid out of NJ, we become the best option for Blakeley.  I think we already are his best option, but hr has to clear those UF cobwebs out.

Bottom line, we are now only an injury or two from becoming very thin at RB.  I don't know USCe's RB situation other than Marcus, but Florida is loaded.  If they get the Huggins kid out of NJ, we become the best option for Blakeley.  I think we already are his best option, but hr has to clear those UF cobwebs out.

Pops, I do see where your coming from with on the injury comment, but I do feel that Auburn is going to be fine.

Tate and McCalebb had to carry the ball a lot more last year because of Fannin's role at H-back. Now Eric Smith gets his chance to show what he can do.

I know that you understand that. Simply put... I believe that Malzahn will distribute the ball equally among the backs so they increase their chances of staying healthy.

Fannin really took some shots last year and bounced back fine... I think he will prove his durability this season. McCalebb will bust many one play drives in 2010. Dyer is a little wrecking ball... so I really like the chances of these guys staying healthy.

I sure hope im right.

I think Malzahn moves the ball around enough to help reduce the risk of injury. Now that our offense is more balanced hopefully our backs will be good shape.

Granted none of them go pro, Fla will have Demps, Rainey, Gillislee and Mack Brown in 2011.

We will have Dyer and McCalebb.  Yeah, we've got Smith, but I wouldn't group him in with the RB's.

"Me and my running back coach we go back and do research on schools and see who they've signed and who they have at running back."

When they do their research, they should find that you're right. Auburn is the best place for Blakely to be...no question.

:believe:

"Me and my running back coach we go back and do research on schools and see who they've signed and who they have at running back."

When they do their research, they should find that you're right. Auburn is the best place for Blakely to be...no question.

:believe:

Instant touches from day one.

Mike Blakely timeline, so far:

Auburn offers in early March 2010, and Blakely IMMEDIATLEY shows interest and visits in early April... at the time his favorite schools were Clemson and UF.

Per ESPN (on April 13): While he did not name a leader, the ESPNU 150 Watch List talent has Florida, Clemson, Auburn and Ole Miss as his top schools. However, Blakely isn't ready to decide yet, "It'll be a while unless I find a place I just can't pass up. It will probably take a pretty long time though." He also shared what he's searching for in a school, "Academics, playing time and I want my coaches to, you know, be like family to me."

Per ESPN (on April 21, after visit to AU): "Auburn was a nice campus. It was beautiful really," said Blakely. "I was amazed at how much like family all of the coaches and players were. They seemed like brothers. I don't really have a true leaderboard right now," he said. "All of the schools are even. All of them have good things about them."

Per Rivals (in early May): "Auburn is leading right now," said Blakely. "I know Florida and Ole Miss will be there for sure until the end. Clemson has a butt-load of running backs, but I still like them. South Carolina, I like them because my brother [Ace Sanders - not actually related] is going there. I want to say I'm open to the rest until I make my visits and see what the schools have."

One thing Blakely said he will be actively seeking out is how many running backs a program has on scholarship.

"Today (Thursday) I looked up most of the schools that I like and looked at their depth charts," explained Blakely. "Like North Carolina, they have nine running backs. Florida has seven running backs. I know coaches all tell you the same thing, but you have to learn how to tell what's the truth from what's not true. I want to play early. I'll be looking at all the depth charts. When asked what are the most important factors in his decision - Blakely responded, "Playing early and graduating. I want to play football and get my degree."

Per Rivals (after BCWII): "It was fun. I had a lot of fun. My leg is a little banged up so I couldn't participate in all of the activities, but I got to hang out with the other recruits and coaches. Auburn is pretty much home. It was good to get out of town and spend the weekend there. I talked to all of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball, especially (running backs) Coach (Curtis) Luper. I like Coach 'Lupe'. He's funny, a fun person to be around. Auburn is still No. 1 for me. I'm familiar with Auburn. I've been there more times than any other school. I like it there. They are No. 1, but I don't plan on making a decision until after my senior season."

Per al.com (after BCWII): "They (Auburn) were No. 1 coming in to the weekend and they didn't go down any. They actually went up some,'' Blakely said.

Per Scout (in early June): Mike Blakely says he still favors Auburn slightly over Florida, Clemson, Tennessee, South Carolina and USC. “I’ve been to Auburn a couple of times and I feel like I’m real close with them,” Blakely said. “They stand out just because I’ve gotten to know them all the best. I like how everything they do, they do it together. It’s also a program on-the-rise and I love the coaches. They are amazing..."

Per AE.com's Brooks Webb (on June 6): Blakely really likes Auburn, and it’s very evident. “The time I’ve spent there has been awesome. It’s just a great place to spend time at. Out of all my visits, it’s not like anywhere else I have seen. The coaches are so family oriented, and they stick together. They’re all like one, and that’s not how it is everywhere,” Blakely added. The coaching staff has made quite an impact on him thus far. “Coach Boulware, I talk to him a lot. He has a great personality and he’s a funny guy. I really like that it’s not always about football. He wants to know how my family is, how school is going, if I have a girlfriend, things like that. He’s a really open person,” said Blakely.

Per JC Shurburtt's Blog (on June 12): "Running back Mike Blakely (Bradenton, Fla./Manatee) has a top three (in order) of Florida, Auburn and South Carolina."

Per GatorSports.com (on June 17 after visiting UF): After Monday’s trip to Gainesville and a chat with head coach Urban Meyer, things have changed.

“Florida is my leader,” Blakely said. “I got to have a one-on-one talk with Urban. He was just talking to me about my play-making ability, because he wants the ball in the best players’ hands. I’ve been talking to the coach a lot lately and just really thinking about all the schools and what I like, and I like Florida. I’ll already know what I’m doing going into the offense if I was to go there, so it will be easier for me,” Blakely said. “It works out a lot because their system really fits me.”

In fact, there are a number of things about UF that fit nicely with Blakely. For starters, he has a family full of Florida fans. They sport Gator gear all the time and tune in to every football game. Distance is another major factor for Blakely, so UF definitely has a leg up being the in-state school. The Rivals100 member plans on visiting Gainesville again this summer, and will also participate in Friday Night Lights. With all the things in Florida’s favor, is there a chance he could commit at the July 23 event?

“Man that’s a good question,” Blakely said. “It’s like a 50-50 (chance). I would want to, but then again I really want to stay open.”

Per Phil Kornblut from thestate.com (on June 24): RB Mike Blakely (5-9 194) of Bradenton, FL says his focus at this time is on USC, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Southern Cal and North Carolina. He camped this month at USC and Clemson.

"I really fell in love with the campus," Blakely said of USC. "I talked to coach Mangus a lot and coach Graham. They told me they would use me at slot, running back and special teams. There's a chance to play early."

Blakely has 33 offers and is not sold on any one school right now. He said he's always liked Florida but he grew up a Florida State fan. But FSU is not a factor because it hasn't offered. And he said he would have no problem leaving is state. Blakely said he might go to Florida's Friday Night Lights camp in July.

Per Rivals (on June 25): There's been much talk that home state school Florida has taken over the lead for Blakely recently, but he maintains that any lead Florida, or any other school has at the moment, is minimal.

"Not really," Blakely said about Florida. "They can be a leader, but Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are so close to each other, it's hard to say."

Mike Blakely is one of Auburn's top targets at the running back position.

While Blakely is having a hard time naming a true leader, he at least knows the three SEC schools that are atop his list right now.

"Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are basically my schools," Blakely said. "All three are real high up there, all neck and neck."

The part about FSU being his "childhood favorite" was NEWS to me! I always thought it was UF! I think that's actually REALLY good news for us! I STILL think he chooses us in the end! Gotta get him on campus though!

DJ, I think our staff will make him priority number one... get him on campus for a gameday atmosphere so he can experience all of the traditions, and in the end... I do agree that he will be an Auburn Tiger.

Too many references in those timelines about Auburn. The other schools joined the party late so of course he will favor them when hes fresh off a visit.

Once he re-visits Auburn during the season... I think that can help him make his final decision to be in Orange and Blue (Not Fla) lol

I saw a depth chart in Athlon Sports magazine the other day and we had several running backs listed on the chart (possibly 5+). How many of those are considered true playing time contenders and how many are walk ons? They still had Aycock on the list, but I wasn't cointing him.

Mike Blakely timeline, so far:

Auburn offers in early March 2010, and Blakely IMMEDIATLEY shows interest and visits in early April... at the time his favorite schools were Clemson and UF.

Per ESPN (on April 13): While he did not name a leader, the ESPNU 150 Watch List talent has Florida, Clemson, Auburn and Ole Miss as his top schools. However, Blakely isn't ready to decide yet, "It'll be a while unless I find a place I just can't pass up. It will probably take a pretty long time though." He also shared what he's searching for in a school, "Academics, playing time and I want my coaches to, you know, be like family to me."

Per ESPN (on April 21, after visit to AU): "Auburn was a nice campus. It was beautiful really," said Blakely. "I was amazed at how much like family all of the coaches and players were. They seemed like brothers. I don't really have a true leaderboard right now," he said. "All of the schools are even. All of them have good things about them."

Per Rivals (in early May): "Auburn is leading right now," said Blakely. "I know Florida and Ole Miss will be there for sure until the end. Clemson has a butt-load of running backs, but I still like them. South Carolina, I like them because my brother [Ace Sanders - not actually related] is going there. I want to say I'm open to the rest until I make my visits and see what the schools have."

One thing Blakely said he will be actively seeking out is how many running backs a program has on scholarship.

"Today (Thursday) I looked up most of the schools that I like and looked at their depth charts," explained Blakely. "Like North Carolina, they have nine running backs. Florida has seven running backs. I know coaches all tell you the same thing, but you have to learn how to tell what's the truth from what's not true. I want to play early. I'll be looking at all the depth charts. When asked what are the most important factors in his decision - Blakely responded, "Playing early and graduating. I want to play football and get my degree."

Per Rivals (after BCWII): "It was fun. I had a lot of fun. My leg is a little banged up so I couldn't participate in all of the activities, but I got to hang out with the other recruits and coaches. Auburn is pretty much home. It was good to get out of town and spend the weekend there. I talked to all of the coaches on the offensive side of the ball, especially (running backs) Coach (Curtis) Luper. I like Coach 'Lupe'. He's funny, a fun person to be around. Auburn is still No. 1 for me. I'm familiar with Auburn. I've been there more times than any other school. I like it there. They are No. 1, but I don't plan on making a decision until after my senior season."

Per al.com (after BCWII): "They (Auburn) were No. 1 coming in to the weekend and they didn't go down any. They actually went up some,'' Blakely said.

Per Scout (in early June): Mike Blakely says he still favors Auburn slightly over Florida, Clemson, Tennessee, South Carolina and USC. “I’ve been to Auburn a couple of times and I feel like I’m real close with them,” Blakely said. “They stand out just because I’ve gotten to know them all the best. I like how everything they do, they do it together. It’s also a program on-the-rise and I love the coaches. They are amazing..."

Per AE.com's Brooks Webb (on June 6): Blakely really likes Auburn, and it’s very evident. “The time I’ve spent there has been awesome. It’s just a great place to spend time at. Out of all my visits, it’s not like anywhere else I have seen. The coaches are so family oriented, and they stick together. They’re all like one, and that’s not how it is everywhere,” Blakely added. The coaching staff has made quite an impact on him thus far. “Coach Boulware, I talk to him a lot. He has a great personality and he’s a funny guy. I really like that it’s not always about football. He wants to know how my family is, how school is going, if I have a girlfriend, things like that. He’s a really open person,” said Blakely.

Per JC Shurburtt's Blog (on June 12): "Running back Mike Blakely (Bradenton, Fla./Manatee) has a top three (in order) of Florida, Auburn and South Carolina."

Per GatorSports.com (on June 17 after visiting UF): After Monday’s trip to Gainesville and a chat with head coach Urban Meyer, things have changed.

“Florida is my leader,” Blakely said. “I got to have a one-on-one talk with Urban. He was just talking to me about my play-making ability, because he wants the ball in the best players’ hands. I’ve been talking to the coach a lot lately and just really thinking about all the schools and what I like, and I like Florida. I’ll already know what I’m doing going into the offense if I was to go there, so it will be easier for me,” Blakely said. “It works out a lot because their system really fits me.”

In fact, there are a number of things about UF that fit nicely with Blakely. For starters, he has a family full of Florida fans. They sport Gator gear all the time and tune in to every football game. Distance is another major factor for Blakely, so UF definitely has a leg up being the in-state school. The Rivals100 member plans on visiting Gainesville again this summer, and will also participate in Friday Night Lights. With all the things in Florida’s favor, is there a chance he could commit at the July 23 event?

“Man that’s a good question,” Blakely said. “It’s like a 50-50 (chance). I would want to, but then again I really want to stay open.”

Per Phil Kornblut from thestate.com (on June 24): RB Mike Blakely (5-9 194) of Bradenton, FL says his focus at this time is on USC, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Southern Cal and North Carolina. He camped this month at USC and Clemson.

"I really fell in love with the campus," Blakely said of USC. "I talked to coach Mangus a lot and coach Graham. They told me they would use me at slot, running back and special teams. There's a chance to play early."

Blakely has 33 offers and is not sold on any one school right now. He said he's always liked Florida but he grew up a Florida State fan. But FSU is not a factor because it hasn't offered. And he said he would have no problem leaving is state. Blakely said he might go to Florida's Friday Night Lights camp in July.

Per Rivals (on June 25): There's been much talk that home state school Florida has taken over the lead for Blakely recently, but he maintains that any lead Florida, or any other school has at the moment, is minimal.

"Not really," Blakely said about Florida. "They can be a leader, but Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are so close to each other, it's hard to say."

Mike Blakely is one of Auburn's top targets at the running back position.

While Blakely is having a hard time naming a true leader, he at least knows the three SEC schools that are atop his list right now.

"Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are basically my schools," Blakely said. "All three are real high up there, all neck and neck."

The part about FSU being his "childhood favorite" was NEWS to me! I always thought it was UF! I think that's actually REALLY good news for us! I STILL think he chooses us in the end! Gotta get him on campus though!

I don't know how you make head nor tail of all that, let alone decipher that Auburn is either leading or losing. I guess AU has consistently been named in his top 5 or top 3, which is great. The kid is doing himself a favor, or at least someone externally is helping him do himself a favor, by not pulling the trigger on a school just yet. Throughout the article, he's 50/50 on pulling the trigger on UF, and then I remember reading on another thread on AE that he's tried to commit twice to AU. He's pretty much like every other kid/recruit in that each time he visits a school, he has a new leader (or at least he's wishy-washy between a couple). But I guess the longer AU stays in this thing and the longer this kid takes and thinks about his decision, it could bode well for any college. I think it comes down to AU and UF in the end and also who UF recruits in the mean time for their backfield. I thinh right now he's UF's to lose but UF have bigger fish on their radar that could push him AU's way.

I saw a depth chart in Athlon Sports magazine the other day and we had several running backs listed on the chart (possibly 5+). How many of those are considered true playing time contenders and how many are walk ons? They still had Aycock on the list, but I wasn't cointing him.

I would assume (i know thats a dangerous word) if you are one of the top backs backs in the nation that you have more resources than athlon sports for depth chart information. Although Im not sure i never played college football.

Slightly switching gears, while I have faith in Boulware, I think its time to put the "Full 'Troop' Press" on Blakely.

I would assume (i know thats a dangerous word) if you are one of the top backs backs in the nation that you have more resources than athlon sports for depth chart information. Although Im not sure i never played college football.

Slightly switching gears, while I have faith in Boulware, I think its time to put the "Full 'Troop' Press" on Blakely.

:-\

That's not why I asked that question....

One of the selling points we are using is playing time. I stated the depth chart I saw showed a good bit of depth at RB. Then, I asked what role some of those on the RB depth chart could potentially play.

I am aware recruits have a little more to rely on than a magazine........

Archived