Chris Landrum

ztodaach

I was in McDonald's last night (Auburn) and Sweetwater's basketball team was in there eating. They're down here for the Coach Barbee's basketball camp.

Chris Landrum was there, and I was wondering how that might work with football recruiting.  While he was down here, would he be able to stop in and talk to the coaches, etc?

I think rules restrict what coaches can do, not recruits (committed or not).  Once they sign accepting a scholarship, though, there may be some restrictions on what they can do with regard to other recruits in subsequent classes.  The situation with Trovon Reed and Greg Robinson comes to mind (i.e., two highly-sought recruits being at the same high school but in different classes).  I'm just speculating, though, so don't take me as knowing anything about compliance with NCAA rules.

I was in McDonald's last night (Auburn) and Sweetwater's basketball team was in there eating. They're down here for the Coach Barbee's basketball camp.

Chris Landrum was there, and I was wondering how that might work with football recruiting.  While he was down here, would he be able to stop in and talk to the coaches, etc?

This is regarded as a quiet period. Coaches can only have contact with a player who is on campus. Since he was on campus it is permissible for them to have contact.

I think rules restrict what coaches can do, not recruits (committed or not).  Once they sign accepting a scholarship, though, there may be some restrictions on what they can do with regard to other recruits in subsequent classes.  The situation with Trovon Reed and Greg Robinson comes to mind (i.e., two highly-sought recruits being at the same high school but in different classes).  I'm just speculating, though, so don't take me as knowing anything about compliance with NCAA rules.

Coaches have more restrictions than players of course but there are restrictions on players at times as well. And it matters not whether we have signed a player or not from a school we are recruiting another player from. Those restrictions still are in place. We are in a quiet period at present with contact only on campus. Then there comes the evaluation period and it really gets confusing at times later in the season. We can have no more contact with Robinson than any other player even though we have signed Reed from the same school. Every recruiting situation stands on it`s on merit.

Coaches have more restrictions than players of course but there are restrictions on players at times as well. And it matters not whether we have signed a player or not from a school we are recruiting another player from. Those restrictions still are in place. We are in a quiet period at present with contact only on campus. Then there comes the evaluation period and it really gets confusing at times later in the season. We can have no more contact with Robinson than any other player even though we have signed Reed from the same school. Every recruiting situation stands on it`s on merit.

I understand as far as the coaches are concerned that the rules regulating contact with Robinson are the same as with any other recruit, but I was referring to Reed's contact with Robinson after Reed signed with Auburn. 

I don't know what the NCAA's stance is on a player at a school (e.g., Thibodaux HS) who has signed with a particular team trying to convince other of his fellow HS teammates to go to the same school that he has signed with.  Obviously, it would very difficult for the NCAA to enforce any kind of limitations on interactions between someone like Reed and Robinson after Reed's signing w/ AUbut before his completion of high school.

I understand as far as the coaches are concerned that the rules regulating contact with Robinson are the same as with any other recruit, but I was referring to Reed's contact with Robinson after Reed signed with Auburn. 

I don't know what the NCAA's stance is on a player at a school (e.g., Thibodaux HS) who has signed with a particular team trying to convince other of his fellow HS teammates to go to the same school that he has signed with.  Obviously, it would very difficult for the NCAA to enforce any kind of limitations on interactions between someone like Reed and Robinson after Reed's signing w/ AUbut before his completion of high school.

I doubt there are any restrictions on players recruiting players. As you say, would be very hard to enforce if there was such. Sorry if I misread your earlier comments.

• 1 month later...

Yup! I saw that! I'd HATE to have to guard him!  :o BTW, not sure if anyone's posted it yet, but I heard an update on Chris' injury! He had a seperated shoulder, but he is ok and should be ready for to lead his Sweet Water Bulldogs in their season opener at Thomasville this Friday! Good News!  :we:

Yup! I saw that! I'd HATE to have to guard him!  :o BTW, not sure if anyone's posted it yet, but I heard an update on Chris' injury! He had a seperated shoulder, but he is ok and should be ready for to lead his Sweet Water Bulldogs in their season opener at Thomasville this Friday! Good News!  :we:

Good News.

Archived