Preseason 2014 Coaches Poll Released

AU Is Gold

Um.. Apparently, that's the:

Amway Coaches Poll presented by USA Today.

I think you have to write the whole thing every time you mention it or they'll sue you.

#5. This is where I figured we'd be. Cool. Let's play ball!

They pick us 5 with us having a 12-2 record and three of the teams ahead of us have an 11-2 record including Alabama. For us to be 12-2 we won the West and the SEC how could we not be in the top 4. Also we have the toughest schedule of all the top 5 teams. Picking FSU as #1 at this time of the year and having them play in the ACC so they are undefeated makes some sense.

I would be upset except a poll at this time of the year before the first practice much less the first game means nothing.

Unbelievable! bama with a lot of question marks, ahead of both AU and ou who both kicked their arse, returns with no question marks,trails bama at #2 in the polls? No respect, oh well Let's get it on!!!

They pick us 5 with us having a 12-2 record and three of the teams ahead of us have an 11-2 record including Alabama. For us to be 12-2 we won the West and the SEC how could we not be in the top 4.

Those are last year's records son

Unbelievable! bama with a lot of question marks, ahead of both AU and ou who both kicked their arse, returns with no question marks,trails bama at #2 in the polls? No respect, oh well Let's get it on!!!

It's a freakin AMWAY poll ~ who gives a crap?

If being ranked preseason at #5 is a sign of disrespect, then perhaps I need to redefine what I consider to be disrespect. Also, pretty sure last years record has no bearing on future result predictions. JMO.

If being ranked preseason at #5 is a sign of disrespect, then perhaps I need to redefine what I consider to be disrespect. Also, pretty sure last years record has no bearing on future result predictions. JMO.

Who cares about getting respect from a damn Amway poll?

The biggest pyramid scheme in the country.

Being ranked 5 is good. The teams ahead of us have been much more consistent. We do well more than one year at a time and we start getting more preseason love.

They pick us 5 with us having a 12-2 record and three of the teams ahead of us have an 11-2 record including Alabama. For us to be 12-2 we won the West and the SEC how could we not be in the top 4. Also we have the toughest schedule of all the top 5 teams. Picking FSU as #1 at this time of the year and having them play in the ACC so they are undefeated makes some sense.

I would be upset except a poll at this time of the year before the first practice much less the first game means nothing.

Here's a good rebutal:

http://www.foxsports...n-auburn-073114

TEAMS RANKED TOO LOW

No. 5 Auburn Tigers

The analytics crowd is already predicting the Tigers’ demise. All those miracle finishes last year are sure to even out. But that suggests Auburn will have the same margin for error. On the contrary, Gus Malzahn’s offense should be far more lethal this year now that quarterback Nick Marshall had a full offseason in his system.

He has four returning starters up front and an incredibly deep receiving corps. You don’t need miracles if you’re putting up 50 on people. The one strike against the Tigers is their schedule, which includes trips to K-State, Ole Miss, Georgia and Alabama. I still think they’ll make the playoff.

#5 isn't bad. After '12 season I realized how nice it is to simply be ranked-- won't take that for granted any time soon! Do think Alabama's overrated given the unknown at QB. Man, their spring game was ugly.

My belief is that in most cases, there isn't as much of a bias ​against AU as much as there is a bias for UAT. Of course a consistent positive push for your rival is basically a negative for you, so......never mind.

That schedule is really dragging us down

I understand it matters more postseason, but it is rather annoying to have been the second best team in the league, end up better, and then get no respect

We're ranked high enough where our preseason ranking won't hurt us as far as getting into the playoffs goes, which is all I care about.

If this takes even a little bit of pressure off us and shifts it to Bama, I'm all for it.

#1 FSU --- they won't beat us again

#2 Bammers--- Auburn will beat them again in iron bowl

#3 Oklahoma--- running back probably headed for prison

#4 Ducks- Cant even win their conference

#5 Auburn- the real deal, bring it , we comin'

If we go undefeated, we'll displace Bama from the top 4. All the others could go undefeated, too, and it wouldn't matter.

The real kicker at this point is tOSU being so close to us.

And yes, I realize that this poll does not officially count for the playoffs.

This is still the coaches' poll. Only coaches vote in it. Amway just parted with a boatload of money to try to buy respectability by getting their name attached to it.

This is still the coaches' poll. Only coaches vote in it. Amway just parted with a boatload of money to try to buy respectability by getting their name attached to it.

That's exactly what I was about to say. It's the same coaches poll. This poll may not count towards the 4 team playoff, but in the end it could sway a few committee members that actually have a vote that counts.

Quite frankly, I'd like to see us a little lower in the polls. Not because we deserve to be lower, but just because I love to see us climb over other teams every week. I like how the excitement and possibilities grow over the season. Football season is glorious!!!

Two comments:

1) Amway just sponsors this poll. It is the the old UPI poll, the same poll the USA Today Board of Coaches has put out since 1990. It is the poll which will award the AFCA National Championship Trophy (the "Crystal Ball") at the end of the season.

2) Yes, we and Florida State are the two best teams based on returning talent, but our schedule is probably why we are not higher.

Archived