Report from rival tiger territory...

homersapien

105.5 FM *The Roar") upstate SC spent a lot of time today talking about Auburn. This was driven about our recently announced series with Clemson.

- they don't care for the "dis-respect" they perceive from Auburn on "internet fan sites". (Can't say I really blame them)

- very rational discussion about the pros and cons of such a match-up for both teams.

- generally, both hosts respected Auburn, although one was a lot more supportive than the other in terms of recognizing our potential (I think he had done more homework, One humorous example was that he pointed out that Auburn had signed Clemson's "dream class" DL recruits two years ago and now they are sophomores) Otherwise, our defense is still being discounted. - It's getting little respect.

- Gus has an enormous amount of respect, They consider him to be the future of College Football. (Keep in mind they have one of his disciples as an OC)

- Great recognition of the difficulty of our schedule - "is this the toughest college schedule of all time"?

- Accordingly, even recognizing we may have an even better team than last year, there is no way that we can do better than 10-2: "Who could possibly do better?" We are playing in the best division, in the best conference in College Football PLUS we play the two best teams from the other division, not to mention playing KSU away. (FWIW, they considered Miss St. to be the classical "trap" game.)

From what I heard, it was a very fair discussion.

FWIW, Walt Deptula on the same station is starting to sound like one our "homers". He thinks we are going to kick ass, including Bama. (But he also called us a "dirty program" during the Cam era. :dunno: )

10-2 won't get us in the playoff. Even though everyone can admit Auburn has the toughest schedule, or at least one of the toughest, in the country those on that selection committee will never put us in the playoff if we lose 2 games. That especially holds true if another SEC team is already among the top 4, and that's almost a certainty.

So, to get in the playoff our team has to accomplish what most people consider impossible, have a 13-0 or 12-1 record after winning the SEC title game in Atlanta. Even then I wouldn't trust the people on that committee to put Auburn in if there's another SEC team already there.

Sorry but having so few people on that committee is begging for biases and underhanded dealings to take charge of the selection. At least with the BCS there were so many people involved as well as computers that bias could seldom take charge of the selection. Of course, putting OK in the game in 2004 because Stoops wouldn't stop whining until they did was farcical, as the game showed.

10-2 won't get us in the playoff. Even though everyone can admit Auburn has the toughest schedule, or at least one of the toughest, in the country those on that selection committee will never put us in the playoff if we lose 2 games. That especially holds true if another SEC team is already among the top 4, and that's almost a certainty.

So, to get in the playoff our team has to accomplish what most people consider impossible, have a 13-0 or 12-1 record after winning the SEC title game in Atlanta. Even then I wouldn't trust the people on that committee to put Auburn in if there's another SEC team already there.

Sorry but having so few people on that committee is begging for biases and underhanded dealings to take charge of the selection. At least with the BCS there were so many people involved as well as computers that bias could seldom take charge of the selection. Of course, putting OK in the game in 2004 because Stoops wouldn't stop whining until they did was farcical, as the game showed.

That was exactly the point they made: "Auburn will not go undefeated (who could?) and will not make the final four."

Well, at least if we go undefeated, we'll have a legitimate claim to the best team in football history. At least based on accomplishments. That's a motivator! ;)

Sorry but having so few people on that committee is begging for biases and underhanded dealings to take charge of the selection. At least with the BCS there were so many people involved as well as computers that bias could seldom take charge of the selection.

A-yup. Not sold on this committee, one bit.

One loss SEC Champ will make it to the playoff. Complaining about a two loss team not getting in violates the man code. We have been to the championship game twice in 5 years. Under the current system we would have been in the game 3 of 11 years.

Just win baby.

Little doc

I listen to Walt all the time. He said recently he expects us to run the table regardless of our schedule. His logic was something like "You're not going to beat Auburn this year with just 30-35 points per game, and I don't think any of the SEC teams can score that high." However, he did take a step back when the Lawson injury was announced.

Was one of the so called experts Mikey Plyler? If so, he can go suck on that 5 game losing streak to cocky, ;)

Archived