who is ultimately responsible'

milehighfan

Well ultimately it falls on Gus but the position coach is the one who does the work with the player. I don't know if they just essentially handed the keys to JJ and hoped that any mistakes they saw would work themselves out or if he just melted under the glare of the bright lights when the curtain went up and he was the man.

inb4

"Fire Gus fire Lashlee we need a DT QB Chris Todd and Tulsa"

I don't think AU has to have a DT QB. It just adds another dimension to it. I'm frustrated like anyone. QB development has been a problem. I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies with that.

inb4

"Fire Gus fire Lashlee we need a DT QB Chris Todd and Tulsa"

I don't think AU has to have a DT QB. It just adds another dimension to it. I'm frustrated like anyone. QB development has been a problem. I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies with that.

I don't disagree.

I'm just covering the bases because that's what this thread will inevitably turn into.

It all falls back to the head coach. But then, Jay Jacobs had a hand in bringing Gus back to Auburn in 2013. So it could start with the AD.

Gus.

wde

+1

It´s up to the coaches to create game-type simulations in practice and develop a QB based on how he responds. It´s hard to believe JJ was a star in practice and went out and played in games like he did. I don´t buy it. And play calling did not utilize what strengths JJ has. I like JJ, but I hope they move him to WR or another position because I don´t want to see him take another snap at QB after the Bowl Game.

Gus.

wde

+1

It´s up to the coaches to create game-type simulations in practice and develop a QB based on how he responds. It´s hard to believe JJ was a star in practice and went out and played in games like he did. I don´t buy it. And play calling did not utilize what strengths JJ has. I like JJ, but I hope they move him to WR or another position because I don´t want to see him take another snap at QB after the Bowl Game.

How can they ever create a simulation that's anything like being the starting QB playing in front of a stadium of 80k screaming fans?

They have some pretty cool technology now. They have ways to monitor a player and when they are most effective. The QB simulator that Arkansas uses I think we could/should incorporate.

They have some pretty cool technology now. They have ways to monitor a player and when they are most effective. The QB simulator that Arkansas uses I think we could/should incorporate.

What is it? I'm not up to speed on what's out there now.

It all falls back to the head coach. But then, Jay Jacobs had a hand in bringing Gus back to Auburn in 2013. So it could start with the AD.

A4e you're silly.

Ultimately, it rests on the coaches shoulders but raw talent has to be there to begin with. While it is true that CGM And CRL are partially to blame, I don't know how many times it has to be said but JJ simply doesn't have what it takes to be an elite QB in this league.

Sure, he has all the measurables but it takes much more than that to be an elite talent. The coaches can only do so much. 90% of what we saw this year boils down to either the lack of talent or the inability to recognize/utilize the skills that one has.

Cooltiger

I found the article and it lists us as a team that used it?! There aren't many and I'm not sure if we actively use it. This link is what I found on the qb simulator. The other thing I referred to I know FSU uses.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/06/09/strivr-eon-football-virtual-reality-training-college-quarterbacks/28725797/

I find it interesting that no one said JJ. There is only so much time with the players and they need to do a lot on their own.

Gus.

wde

+1

How can they ever create a simulation that's anything like being the starting QB playing in front of a stadium of 80k screaming fans?

The bottom line is it´s water under the bridge, it doesn´t matter who we blame now. All we can do is try to learn from it and move on. It happened with Kiehl Frazier and now, to a lesser extent, with JJ. I just want them to move JJ to receiver (a la Kodi Burns) or another position and let´s get Sean White or John Franklin III ready for next year. Seeing JJ miss so many open receivers or slip and fall in the pocket is killing me.

Seeing as how he doesn't appear to like contact I don't see him showing much at that position. At times WR's are supposed to block, ours rarely did but they were supposed to.

The Internet, gluten, leap years, etc. QB situation just blew up in our faces, I mean lots of people outside of the program believed JJ was the next great one, and all signs pointed that he would be. I doubt if Gus knew once JJ became the man, he would lose all his marbles.

Archived