Marlon Davidson working to start

FoundationEagle

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our D depth should help the offense be less concerned about going fast.

I disagree. Malzahn's offense is predicated upon going fast, and thus needs the tempo to stay in proper rhythm. Which is why we need a QB to step up and take the reigns, be it Johnson, White, or Franklin. And if I had to guess, I do think SW holds the upper hand, just not by enough that either of the other two couldn't take it from him before the season starts.

I do agree, however, that the depth on defense, particularly along the line, should play a major role in any amount of better play we hope to see this year.

I took his quote to mean that our depth at D gives us a reason to worry less about going fast and tiring out the D with some quick scores. I could be wrong because I read it the same way you did the first time.

Not that it matters but I thought Davidson was a 5 star.

He was on Rivals, but not 247 Composite.

I thought Cowart looked pretty good in spurts at A-Day. He was playing mostly with the 2s, which means he was matched up against the OL 1s. He had one really nice play on a twist where he beat the double by driving Kozan out of position before X could get there. He looked like a guy that is developing. Looked like a sophomore that will provide really nice depth. It's just that Davidson appears to be way, way ahead of the curve for a guy that young. Not many can do it. Most of the good ones are closer to Cowart's and Holland's development curve. I really liked what we saw from Lawson, Davidson, Cowart, Holland, and James. All of those guys can rush the passer, and almost all of them look like they can hold the edge (James had some pretty rough plays against the run and Cowart struggled with some double teams out there).

If Davidson starts out of that group, he'll have earned it against some other really good players.

On the Cowart convo: Montravius Adams said Cowart got in slumps and didn't want to go as hard. Then said Jeff Holland was fussed at everyday but he always went 110%.

They basically had to derecruit Cowart this past year. When he wasn't the strongest and best player on the field he got discouraged and went into slumps. Also didn't know how to take criticism supposedly.

Not that it matters but I thought Davidson was a 5 star.

He was on Rivals, but not 247 Composite.

I've noticed that people on here use 247 the most. Has it ever been measured which recruiting service is the most accurate?

Rednilla: That 2008 defense did a great job given the circumstance. Wes Byrum was inexplicably awful that year. We would've probably beaten Vandy, Arky, and Georgia that year had he been able to make a few field goals and a couple extra points.

Our D depth should help the offense be less concerned about going fast.

I disagree. Malzahn's offense is predicated upon going fast, and thus needs the tempo to stay in proper rhythm. Which is why we need a QB to step up and take the reigns, be it Johnson, White, or Franklin. And if I had to guess, I do think SW holds the upper hand, just not by enough that either of the other two couldn't take it from him before the season starts.

I do agree, however, that the depth on defense, particularly along the line, should play a major role in any amount of better play we hope to see this year.

Obviously the D doesn't make the O go fast. Not my point. Depth on D should keep us fresh, though, if the offense has some quick 3 and outs.

Just about every year we've pulled in a big time DL recruit that was going to make that immediate impact. Then every year it takes some time for those players to actually make that impact. Whether it be half a season like Lawson, 3 years for Monty, or Gabe, and some never have that huge impact like they were projected. So with that in mind I just want to commend Marlon for coming in with the attitude and work ethic required to play at this level. It really is a rare thing and speaks volumes to both his talent and work ethic. He looked like a 3 year starter out there during A-day and I'm really excited to see how he develops over the coming years! Keep on working and big things will be in store for you! And to think he wasn't even our highest rated DL recruit this last cycle. :)

How did Tenga do at A Day and who does he fit into the rotation if at all?

last I read; big, powerful, quick......still learning the game.

On the Cowart convo: Montravius Adams said Cowart got in slumps and didn't want to go as hard. Then said Jeff Holland was fussed at everyday but he always went 110%.

This. Hope the light come on for Cowart. He can be a difference maker when he wants too.

How did Tenga do at A Day and who does he fit into the rotation if at all?

last I read; big, powerful, quick......still learning the game.

I read the same and that he would probably used in situational type roles where he could take advantage of his physical attributes without having to react so much to different schemes. Obvious passing situations where told beat you man to out side and go for Qb.

This. Hope the light come on for Cowart. He can be a difference maker when he wants too.

Seems to be typical for a lot of young guys. I would expect him to make a big leap forward just on being a year older, and a more mature player. The great thing is, we have so much talent and depth on the line, you can't afford to be anything but 100% full steam ahead of you want significant playing time.

If you look at Cowart's HS highlight film it's mainly him coming in unblocked and blowing up a play. You can't really tell how good he is because he's beating air on the play. I saw some level headed people on here mention this and predicted he would take a while to get going in college. I am willing to be patient with him. Based on rumblings on here he sounds like he's mentally soft (tweeting sad spongebob pictures? c'mon dude, are you effing kidding me?). You can't be that way your entire life and just stop when you arrive on a college campus. Give him time. He has all the physical tools............but so does Jeremy Johnson. But he was a true freshman last year so he's got plenty of time.

How silly does he look that he was trying to be on a "3 year academic plan" to get to the NFL, though? He's wayyyy behind where he himself would've thought, obviously, so hopefully it lights a fire under his butt rather than pouting and that attitude showing up on the field.

If you look at Cowart's HS highlight film it's mainly him coming in unblocked and blowing up a play. You can't really tell how good he is because he's beating air on the play. I saw some level headed people on here mention this and predicted he would take a while to get going in college. I am willing to be patient with him. Based on rumblings on here he sounds like he's mentally soft (tweeting sad spongebob pictures? c'mon dude, are you effing kidding me?). You can't be that way your entire life and just stop when you arrive on a college campus. Give him time. He has all the physical tools............but so does Jeremy Johnson. But he was a true freshman last year so he's got plenty of time.

How silly does he look that he was trying to be on a "3 year academic plan" to get to the NFL, though? He's wayyyy behind where he himself would've thought, obviously, so hopefully it lights a fire under his butt rather than pouting and that attitude showing up on the field.

Good points. You have to consider Byron was probably being recruited since he was in the 8th grade. I think he had a huge ego, was pampered through HS and then came to ol' Rodney Garner who treated him like everybody else and he was butt hurt. I have high hopes and think hes going to do fine.

Marlon Davidson already beginning to shine hopefully lights a spark for Byron.

Good points. You have to consider Byron was probably being recruited since he was in the 8th grade. I think he had a huge ego, was pampered through HS and then came to ol' Rodney Garner who treated him like everybody else and he was butt hurt. I have high hopes and think hes going to do fine.

Marlon Davidson already beginning to shine hopefully lights a spark for Byron.

Yup! This can only be good. If Garner riding him doesn't flip the switch, seeing a true frosh come in and take his snaps from him directly will definitely do it. And if not, then he never really had it in him in the first place.

You all are being too hard on bc and giving Davidson way too much praise this early. You very well may be talking down on Davidson like this next year. I hate when a top rated kid come to the school and everybody gets down on him for no reason

You all are being too hard on bc and giving Davidson way too much praise this early. You very well may be talking down on Davidson like this next year. I hate when a top rated kid come to the school and everybody gets down on him for no reason

I'm fully expecting him to "disappoint" actually. Nobody ever lives up to the hype these beat writers give to some of these kids who haven't even put on their game jerseys yet.

Edit: I mean Davidson

I agree 100%.

I'd say Byron isn't a "long way off" from being a three and out guy too. If he's a productive rotation guy this year, he's in line to be a starter as a junior (Lawson gone and no one clearly blocking Cowart's path). It takes one really productive season to hit the draft. That's reality. Nick Fairley did it. Pat Sims did it. Cowart needs to keep his head down, and he needs to carve out some production this year. He's going to be a part of the DE rotation (Lawson, Cowart, Davidson, Holland, and James all seem like they're locks for significant PT). His story is far from written, even if folks get their panties in a wad because he didn't produce as quickly as they wanted.

I'd say Byron isn't a "long way off" from being a three and out guy too. If he's a productive rotation guy this year, he's in line to be a starter as a junior (Lawson gone and no one clearly blocking Cowart's path). It takes one really productive season to hit the draft. That's reality. Nick Fairley did it. Pat Sims did it. Cowart needs to keep his head down, and he needs to carve out some production this year. He's going to be a part of the DE rotation (Lawson, Cowart, Davidson, Holland, and James all seem like they're locks for significant PT). His story is far from written, even if folks get their panties in a wad because he didn't produce as quickly as they wanted.

agreed! Look at Lawson. He could have turned pro this year and been 3 and done and he hasn't finished a full season in 2 years. If BC works hard and makes an impact this year, he will be the starter next. And assuming he continues to progress, he could very well be gone in 3.

You're right. Your Nick Fairley example is spot on. I just hope to see more flashes out of a guy who's on a 3 year plan. Or at least hope to see him on the field more consistently, considering we couldn't get a pass rush to save our lives last year.

Archived