Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hyped for this, but I’m a bit disappointed. It feels prematurely aged or something. The oak/coconut/bourbon is there. But it’s missing in complexity, viscosity, and body. It comes off as a hastily done BBA stout. 

W4NsXh0.jpg

Had Gate City's Terminus yesterday. At 7.8%, not necessarily a standard fridge beer, but if you're looking for a straightforward stout with big roast  and dark chocolate without too much sweetness, it should do. I feel like it's easier to find an RIS or BA booze bomb these days than a well made, "normal" stout.

19 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

This is at a nearby competitor’s store. We didn’t even get offered any Black Note(from what I know). The games and favorites these distributors play drives me crazy. I bought another 4pk.

aQGaelV.jpg

Want us to spread lies about them on the internet?

CBS. Delicious. I was a bit worried about this one because I’ve been reading a lot of buyer’s remorse type posts on FB. Bitter coffee/chocolate, easy bourbon presence, maple syrup is ever so subtle but definitely there.

lNV6N0Z.jpg

Pretty sure no one here will need it, but I share

my annual refresher course for the holidays:

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Damn that looks tasty....

If you go in drinking it like a GITM or even Envie...you’ll be disappointed. 

That said, it’s a fine beer. If it was year round in 6ers, I’d buy multiple. 

I would also pick up a 6er of Devil’s Harvest instead. 

Got my hands on a sixer of Brown Shugga tonight. I can’t wait to try it. Any recommendations on temperature for this one?  I don’t want to make the same mistake I made with the Xocoveza. 

8 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

Got my hands on a sixer of Brown Shugga tonight. I can’t wait to try it. Any recommendations on temperature for this one?  I don’t want to make the same mistake I made with the Xocoveza. 

Strong ale temp. 55°±5

Let it sit after taking it out of your fridge for about 15. 

20 minutes ago, AuburnSoldier said:

That’s a damn good beer.

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

That’s a damn good beer.

It is. Haven't had it yet this year. Really should rectify that. No problem with availability. 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

It is. Haven't had it yet this year. Really should rectify that. No problem with availability. 

Thought about you this weekend. I picked up a 4 pack of Nova Vert. They had to rename due to a cease and desist order from a winery somewhere...glad they didn’t cease and desist on the deliciousness.

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Thought about you this weekend. I picked up a 4 pack of Nova Vert. They had to rename due to a cease and desist order from a winery somewhere...glad they didn’t cease and desist on the deliciousness.

Ah, good stuff. Shame about the rename. 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, AuburnSoldier said:

Brown Shugga is one of my favorites and is frequently available at my favorite grocery store in Montgomery.

Question for you experts:

Would you rather have a 72 oz growler of a good beer or a 6-pack of the same beer, assuming the price is the same?

I ask because I saw Good People Snake Handler available in growlers at my favorite grocery store so I paid 15.99 for 64 oz. Then I got to wondering why that was better than getting a 6-pack of a good beer for 11.99. Is beer significantly better out of a keg?

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

If you go in drinking it like a GITM or even Envie...you’ll be disappointed. 

That said, it’s a fine beer. If it was year round in 6ers, I’d buy multiple. 

I would also pick up a 6er of Devil’s Harvest instead. 

I need to try Devil's Harvest again.

55 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Question for you experts:

Would you rather have a 72 oz growler of a good beer or a 6-pack of the same beer, assuming the price is the same?

I ask because I saw Good People Snake Handler available in growlers at my favorite grocery store so I paid 15.99 for 64 oz. Then I got to wondering why that was better than getting a 6-pack of a good beer for 11.99. Is beer significantly better out of a keg?

I prefer 6 packs personally. Especially if it’s a high abv beer. I just don’t like committing to a full growler, and the subsequent hangover the following day. I typically only get growlers to share with others or if it’s something really special. 

People say draft is better, but honestly I think it all pretty much tastes the same for the most part. If the growler shop or bar is doing things the right way, the beer should most certainly be fresher which is always a top priority when it comes to IPAs or stouts with adjuncts in it(coffee, chocolate, etc.). 

In the case of Snake Handler though, you did get a better deal because that comes in 4pks(unless they changed it). So you’re getting 4 pints as opposed to 4 12oz. 

Growlers better if the price per ounce is equal or better- better for the environment, too- and if you plan to finish it fast. Once you open it, you have to drink it. And even still sealed, it will eventually lose carbonation. 

Otherwise, cans/bottles are your safer bet.

Archived