Pearl Assistants

TIGGR82

I just feel it would be better for us to just let Coach Pearl do his thing and hire who he is comfortable with.

:Sing:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally disagree with those who do not want to keep Ryan Miller. He was the only good thing about Barbee's staff and is a outstanding recruiter. Him and Tony Jones would be a Grand Slam.

wde

I just feel like it would be better to get rid of all things associated with the Tony Barbee era.

With all do respect that's a foolish mindset. Ryan Miller is a very good recruiter and if he can develop talent well for CBP's scheme then he should be considered to be retained. That's if he does not take the South Dakota State job.. A fact about Ryan Miller I don't think many people realize is his brother is Mike Miller, yes the NBA Mike Miller. CRM should have very good second hand knowledge of what it takes to get to the NBA. That's a good recruiting tool.

I totally disagree with those who do not want to keep Ryan Miller. He was the only good thing about Barbee's staff and is a outstanding recruiter. Him and Tony Jones would be a Grand Slam.

wde

I just feel like it would be better to get rid of all things associated with the Tony Barbee era.

<< Cringe >>

No point in piling on. It's ungracious. Barbee just wasn't a good fit. Our situation practically requires someone like CBP.

I wish Barbee success.

If Miller would like to stay and if CBP thinks he would be a good fit with himself and Tony Jones, I would be all for it. CRM would have the opportunity to learn from one of the all-time best College coaches. I know Coach Miller has head coaching aspirations but a few years with Coach Pearl would upgrade his resume and prepare him for the right job. WDE

wde

<< Cringe >>

No point in piling on. It's ungracious. Barbee just wasn't a good fit. Our situation practically requires someone like CBP.

I wish Barbee success.

I could not agree with you more strongly! Remember, CTBarbee did all he could with AU. It was just not the right fit for his talents. He won previous to AU and he will win again. I wish him all the best for always representing AU with class and dignity.

wde

<< Cringe >>

I wish Barbee success.

I could not agree with you more strongly! Remember, CTBarbee did all he could with AU. It was just not the right fit for his talents. He won previous to AU and he will win again. I wish him all the best for always representing AU with class and dignity.

++ Some years down the road IMO, TB will look back at his AU time as a useful learning experience. This is not his last HC job.

wde

<< Cringe >>

I wish Barbee success.

++ Some years down the road IMO, TB will look back at his AU time as a useful learning experience. This is not his last HC job.

Auburn is a tough place to coach basketball. It takes someone like a Bruce Pearl to make it work at least right now. Years down the road things should be different and we'll have a strong foundation to keep things going.

wde

<< Cringe >>

I wish Barbee success.

I dont know if he did all he could... Our team didn't know basic fundamentals of the game. I knew a guy who was on the team and he said Barbee almost never drew up plays on offense, they just had to set picks, basically come up with their own plays and get open. That was in the 11-12 season though, I suppose some things might have changed.

wde

<< Cringe >>

I wish Barbee success.

I dont know if he did all he could... Our team didn't know basic fundamentals of the game. I knew a guy who was on the team and he said Barbee almost never drew up plays on offense, they just had to set picks, basically come up with their own plays and get open. That was in the 11-12 season though, I suppose some things might have changed.

Barbee didn't commit to a system and wanted to adapt with his roster, with limited scholarships in bb you gotta get the right fits and teach the same philosophy year in and out to build a core, while nothing but a great Auburn man while here, I think this is where he failed most.

wde

<< Cringe >>

I wish Barbee success.

This. Barbee sucked as a basketball coach at AU. He may find success elsewhere but that is not important to me. He sucked at AU.

wde

Just let CBP pick the people he wants. He might want Miller or he may not. Every coach has people he wants to work with.

Really? Nothing wrong with people putting out suggestions and debating their merits. That's what forums are for. Nobody is presuming to make the hire for CBP. In the end he will hire whom he wants. That's no reason to keep our opinions to ourselves.

Just let CBP pick the people he wants. He might want Miller or he may not. Every coach has people he wants to work with.

Really? Nothing wrong with people putting out suggestions and debating their merits. That's what forums are for. Nobody is presuming to make the hire for CBP. In the end he will hire whom he wants. That's no reason to keep our opinions to ourselves.

Essentially that's true...but generally after people make what they think is a good/serious suggestion they sometimes get defensive or b**chy when their "suggestion" is not acted on.

As for BP's assistants, my view is that the guy who has responsibility for doing the job (gets fired if he does not win) should have the full authority to hire who he wants..within the policies of the organization.

One reason the NFL has so much infighting is the coach has to win but often the Gen Mgr or someone else is hiring his assistants and players.

Essentially that's true...but generally after people make what they think is a good/serious suggestion they sometimes get defensive or b**chy when their "suggestion" is not acted on.

As for BP's assistants, my view is that the guy who has responsibility for doing the job (gets fired if he does not win) should have the full authority to hire who he wants..within the policies of the organization.

One reason the NFL has so much infighting is the coach has to win but often the Gen Mgr or someone else is hiring his assistants and players.

Presumably that's the case or he wouldn't have taken the job to begin with. Not to mention being so positive about the future with his comments.

But as someone who is pretty ignorant about college BB, I enjoy all the speculation and suggestions. It's educational for me.

FWIW feeling around AU is if Chuck Person is hired it looks to be in an administrative role. He and his family live in Opelika and Chuck would like to get back and be around them more.

FWIW feeling around AU is if Chuck Person is hired it looks to be in an administrative role. He and his family live in Opelika and Chuck would like to get back and be around them more.

That would be a great way for him to learn college coaching and get back with Auburn.

Can someone tell me why people want this Ryan Miller guy? I believe he should get rid of everyone involved in Barbee's staff, you know the guys who coached and recruited the worst team of a four year stretch in Auburn history...

Can someone tell me why people want this Ryan Miller guy? I believe he should get rid of everyone involved in Barbee's staff, you know the guys who coached and recruited the worst team of a four year stretch in Auburn history...

Miller was Barbee's lead recruiter. Truth be told, recruiting was not our problem. Coach Miller helped us land Shaq Johnson, Jordan Price, and Cedric McAferee. Keeping our talented players on the team was our problem, and I do not hold Ryan Miller responsible for that. Most people believe that he is still an ace recruiter and would make an incredible recruiting force with Coach Bruce Pearl and assistant Tony Jones.

Miller was Barbee's lead recruiter. Truth be told, recruiting was not our problem. Coach Miller helped us land Shaq Johnson, Jordan Price, and Cedric McAferee. Keeping our talented players on the team was our problem, and I do not hold Ryan Miller responsible for that. Most people believe that he is still an ace recruiter and would make an incredible recruiting force with Coach Bruce Pearl and assistant Tony Jones.

So Ryan Miller is an "ace" recruiter? Perhaps we have different versions of what that terminology exactly means. How many 4* and 5* stud ball players did Miller sign in his time here?

So Ryan Miller is an "ace" recruiter? Perhaps we have different versions of what that terminology exactly means. How many 4* and 5* stud ball players did Miller sign in his time here?

Jordan Price, Shaq Johnson, and Brian Greene were all 4* players. Unfortunately due to all of the departures, CTB looked to prep and juco to fill those voids and those players are not ranked by most services.

Archived