Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Jack White is phenomenally talented but weird as all hell

That guy Telling Tiger I mentioned? He was neighbors with Jack White. He said pretty much exactly this. And what little I know of him suggests same.

Actually was on a flight out of Nashville with him. He just stood out on the concourse at the gate waiting, no hat, no sunglasses, no phone, no effort to be low profile at all. Just looking around without any effort to avoid eye contact with anyone. I know it was Nashville and they get every person in the business through there but I was really struck by it. Anyway, he put on what was easily a top 5 all time concert for me at the Fox in Atlanta. It was the Lazaretto tour. First set he had an all female band, second set it was an all male band. He was so effortless, and he'd "conduct" his band in real time while absolutely tearing the roof off with his guitar playing. Just one of those humans that channels music from another dimension as much as he decides to play any particular note or anything. Obviously he's not Hendrix but it's that same kind of thing watching him. 

Jimmy Page... Jack White... the old gods and the new.

• Love 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That guy Telling Tiger I mentioned? He was neighbors with Jack White. He said pretty much exactly this. And what little I know of him suggests same.

Actually was on a flight out of Nashville with him. He just stood out on the concourse at the gate waiting, no hat, no sunglasses, no phone, no effort to be low profile at all. Just looking around without any effort to avoid eye contact with anyone. I know it was Nashville and they get every person in the business through there but I was really struck by it. Anyway, he put on what was easily a top 5 all time concert for me at the Fox in Atlanta. It was the Lazaretto tour. First set he had an all female band, second set it was an all male band. He was so effortless, and he'd "conduct" his band in real time while absolutely tearing the roof off with his guitar playing. Just one of those humans that channels music from another dimension as much as he decides to play any particular note or anything. Obviously he's not Hendrix but it's that same kind of thing watching him. 

Jimmy Page... Jack White... the old gods and the new.

All of this comes across in the show. Jimmy though- articulate, intelligent, the complete package. And, the dude incorporates Tolkien into a bunch of his songs lol.  Older I get the more I appreciate him

• Love 1

On 9/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, fredst said:

Just found this thread. Love Turnpike Troubadours, discovered them a year or so ago (late to the game….again). All their albums are good but I really like the self titled one; love the song “The Bird Hunters”: subject matter I can relate to- hunting and getting dumped by a girl

Bird Hunters was the first song I heard by them. Love at first listen. And I don't even hunt. 

• Love 1

On 9/19/2021 at 7:45 PM, fredst said:

Thanks. I am going to refrain from posting on the other boards but will haunt some of the “fun” boards like this and the Beer/Spirits club. Like much of the internet I find the sports boards bringing out the worst in me, to the point of convincing myself that I don’t like people I’ve never even met and typing things I’d never (hopefully) say to someone’s face. The ugliness on the football board just makes me feel bad about myself the way it gets me going. But, I love all you guys knowledge on music, beer, and many other things so hopefully I can lurk around some of these places without wearing out my welcome. Cheers!

We don't know each other and you don't need to hear from me. 

But it seems to me that recognizing something you don't like about yourself and immediately implementing a plan to fix it puts you about a million miles ahead of most people. 

On 9/20/2021 at 6:41 AM, fredst said:

Yeah. I get it. I think I’m a heckuva lot more likeable in here than at work for sure, lol (ask anybody at the hospital, they will confirm). I think COVID has affected my mental health more than I’ve admitted over the past 18 months. And, my best friend of 35+ years took his own life -6 weeks ago and I’ve really struggled coming to grips with that and what it meant for me. Coming here and getting involved in a bunch of nasty interactions with anonymous people was not helping.

Now that I’ve laid that on y’all, lol…..

Just got through with some listens of Kacey Musgraves new album. Love her music. Was on her stuff very early before she hit big and have enjoyed seeing her evolution musically and as a lyricist. If you like her stuff at all it’s worth a listen 

Damn. I am very sorry to hear about your friend. And I'm sorry for what you're dealing with. 

I can't pretend to know how you feel. But I'm also no stranger to these issues, both personally and with loved ones. Hang in there. And remember you are not alone. Cheesy, but true. 

Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds. 

• Thanks 1

@fredst Man, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That just sucks, big time. We will share a drink one day.

@McLoofusDude, I still can't get over how much I miss TT. That dude was amazing. Gah....so much I didn't know about him. He and I were just getting to know each other and then he was gone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Here’s something I stumbled across on my wife’s Spotify feed. Not typically my vibe but the sound grabbed me and I’ve since listened to a few things. Different but cool I think. And, neat that I can like the singing even though I don’t understand the language, lol. Title translated: “Life Hasn’t Stopped”

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Here’s something I stumbled across on my wife’s Spotify feed. Not typically my vibe but the sound grabbed me and I’ve since listened to a few things. Different but cool I think. And, neat that I can like the singing even though I don’t understand the language, lol. Title translated: “Life Hasn’t Stopped”

I love just about any type of African music. This song has a really nice sound/beat to it and his voice is soft perfect for the song.The ending is great where it is just instructmental

Your wife has great taste in music not so sure about husband

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I love just about any type of African music. This song has a really nice sound/beat to it and his voice is soft perfect for the song.The ending is great where it is just instructmental

Your wife has great taste in music not so sure about husband

Her great taste in music is exceeded only by her great taste in men

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Almost like he said "hey Sting I want my music back".

Love when songs do that thing where they gradually add layers and then strip back down.

Really well produced 

Great accompaniment to my late morning walk in this glorious weather!

• Love 1

I'm'a miss you when you're not around
Though I wasn't around for you
When your broken body's in the ground
I'll hope there's room for two
I'm a big, big man
Not just in size or in stature, terms of space that can't be filled
I'm a bottomless canyon
Without a drop to spill

Oof. Shared by Tyler Mahan Coe. One to keep an eye on. Unless, of course, you enjoy your heart remaining in one piece.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

While unpacking boxes today (yes I’m still doing that in my new home) I came across a mint condition stub of the first concert I ever went to. The start of my love for live music. 

4063dmG.jpg

I mean, I know it's printed right there on the ticket, but still, that is 90s Bham AF. Love it.

• Haha 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:21 AM, McLoofus said:

I'm'a miss you when you're not around
Though I wasn't around for you
When your broken body's in the ground
I'll hope there's room for two
I'm a big, big man
Not just in size or in stature, terms of space that can't be filled
I'm a bottomless canyon
Without a drop to spill

Oof. Shared by Tyler Mahan Coe. One to keep an eye on. Unless, of course, you enjoy your heart remaining in one piece.

Good stuff, Loof. Added to playlist. 

There's no polite way to say why it reminded me of this great song. The big, big men are doing it. 

I assume you listen to Cocaine & Rhinestones?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 8:32 AM, McLoofus said:

I mean, I know it's printed right there on the ticket, but still, that is 90s Bham AF. Love it.

I miss our old alt-rock station "the X" here in Birmingham. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I miss our old alt-rock station "the X" here in Birmingham. 

I went to at least a couple X Fests at Oak Mountain. I probably still have the Live From the X Lounge albums around somewhere. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Good stuff, Loof. Added to playlist. 

There's no polite way to say why it reminded me of this great song. The big, big men are doing it. 

I assume you listen to Cocaine & Rhinestones?

Couldn't help but think of Moreland.

And yep, big fan of the podcast.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I went to at least a couple X Fests at Oak Mountain. I probably still have the Live From the X Lounge albums around somewhere. 

Remember the old City Stages festival? The X always had a stage there. My brother performed on it a few times. 

Those were always a good time. Hope they find a way to revive it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Remember the old City Stages festival? The X always had a stage there. My brother performed on it a few times. 

Those were always a good time. Hope they find a way to revive it. 

In all the years I lived in bham I went to City Stages once and I hated it. They went from 105.9 to 107.7, right? Then 105.9 turned to a hip hop/r&b station. 

I had a lot of fun there. Saw some killer acts. Unfortunately they operated on a fine margin and one bad year sank them. 

The X was 105.9 when it launched, taking over the old "the Bear's" frequency. Then they moved to 107.7, then to 100.5 before they shut down and WJOX took 100.5. The 100.5 move is probably what killed it. Reception sucked on that frequency.

Reg from Reg's coffee house was still doing his thing last I checked, on a streaming station. 

• Like 1