Softball - Road to OKC

With the selection show Sunday night, we find out who all the teams are in the 64-team playoffs and who will host the 16 regional sites. One thing I did not realize is that all 32 conference tournament champions receive an automatic bid and the remaining 32 bids are done "at-large". So as SEC tournament champions AU gets an automatic bid (still to determine if they will be hosting regional and super-regional).

Of the other conference champions, the STATE of Alabama has done well with the following teams as automatic qualifiers: Auburn (SEC), Jacksonville State (OVC), Alabama State (SWAC), and Samford (SoCon).

FSU (ACC) and James Madison (Colonial Athletic), the two non-conference teams that beat AU during the season also got automatic bids.

On a side note: North Dakota State (NDSU) also got an automatic qualifying berth - NDSU and JSU met in football for the FCS playoffs with NDSU winning. Would be interesting if the softball teams met up during the playoffs as well.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2016-05-11/2016-division-i-softball-conference-championships-automatic

With the selection show Sunday night, we find out who all the teams are in the 64-team playoffs and who will host the 16 regional sites. One thing I did not realize is that all 32 conference tournament champions receive an automatic bid and the remaining 32 bids are done "at-large".

It is & has been the case for every NCAA team sport not named football for a long time,

Archived