Kirk Herbstreit weighs in on Auburn

RunInRed

I believe we play Clemson close, but our Coaches play it too conservative.  We then improve improve and improve and win the rest of our games going into Bama.

My gut tells me we then lose another close one.... Finish with a bowl win!  Then we pray key players come back versus leaving early.  Hey, in a week I will have us undefeated!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Not trying to prove a point or anything, I'm just curious: what were your predictions for the last 10 seasons--or, if you can't remember back that far, as far back as you can remember? If you were fairly accurate, I'm psyched...for 2017.

BTW, to think that Clemson was a dropped pass away from killing all of that...

Yes, Clemson was the closest we came to defeat.

The last 5 times I've predicted a SEC Championship for AU were 1997, 2003, 2004, 2010 and 2014.

2005, I had us losing to GT in the opener because Tubbs wouldn't start Irons, but we had potential despite the graduates. Around 9 wins.

2006, I thought we were overrated due to losing so many WRs. Borges' offense became very predictable. Around 9 wins.

2007, we lost a lot, but knew talented youth on the OL was there + Kodi Burns had the potential as a running threat. Around 8 wins.

2008, with Franklin going HUNH, around 9 wins.

2009, with Gus coming in, around 10 wins.

2010, 14 wins.

2011, lost 35 upperclassmen. Around 9 wins.

2012, thought we could rebound even losing Gus. Around 8 wins.

2013, too much to rebuild. Around 8 wins.

2014, SEC Champs. Around 13 wins.

2015, We were all fooled by Johnson. Around 11 wins.

2016, 5 wins.

I've been off most years, but nailed the most important one due to upperclassmen.

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Yes, Clemson was the closest we came to defeat.

The last 5 times I've predicted a SEC Championship for AU were 1997, 2003, 2004, 2010 and 2014.

2005, I had us losing to GT in the opener because Tubbs wouldn't start Irons, but we had potential despite the graduates. Around 9 wins.

2006, I thought we were overrated due to losing so many WRs. Borges' offense became very predictable. Around 9 wins.

2007, we lost a lot, but knew talented youth on the OL was there + Kodi Burns had the potential as a running threat. Around 8 wins.

2008, with Franklin going HUNH, around 9 wins.

2009, with Gus coming in, around 10 wins.

2010, 14 wins.

2011, lost 35 upperclassmen. Around 9 wins.

2012, thought we could rebound even losing Gus. Around 8 wins.

2013, too much to rebuild. Around 8 wins.

2014, SEC Champs. Around 13 wins.

2015, We were all fooled by Johnson. Around 11 wins.

2016, 5 wins.

I've been off most years, but nailed the most important one due to upperclassmen.

I don't believe you!

3 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Viper strike to save you wasting your time replying to my quote, let me tell you a something. I truly believe you are a uat gump that likes to spend your time making comments on AU boards. I don't know if you are fooling anyone else but be assured you are not fooling me. WDE 

You are so right.

At your request, I'll forget my dad took me to see Bo Jackson twice in 83 while my grandmother worked in the Auburn dorms.

Other highlights....

I'll forget I took my wife (then gf) to see Campbell hit Taylor in the back of the end zone to beat dinky in 04.

I'll forget I took my wife (then gf) to Oxford, MS in 04 to watch AU stomp Ole Miss.

I'll forget I drove by myself to ATL in 04 to meet a fellow AUB, a message board stranger, to enjoy the 2004 SEC Championship.

I'll forget I took my son to see Cam Newton play Georgia JUST BECAUSE my dad took me to see Bo.

I'll forget the most insane game I've ever witnessed, the 94 LSU game.

I'll forget the most brutal game I've ever witnessed, the 03 USC game, where I was taking congestion pills every 4 hours fighting the rare Summer cold, and fighting the 91 degree heat in which I sat and sweat for 3 1/2 miserable quarters until the sun finally was shaded behind the stadium, all in front of the USC band, all for $400 tickets in the 2nd row.

I'll also forget taking my son to see the 2013 SEC Champions put 59 on the board in ATL and laughing like a school girl on the way back home upon finding out Michigan St. upset Ohio St.

All at your request of course.

Question: Ive heard from someone who has gone to a few practices and said that this team is in trouble because they arent close.. anyone else heard anything like this? Just a question. 

Just now, dmoney said:

Question: Ive heard from someone who has gone to a few practices and said that this team is in trouble because they arent close.. anyone else heard anything like this? Just a question. 

I recall reading on this board last season from an "insider" that the 2015 team was as close as the 2013 team, thus the reason for success.

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Yes we have a solid backfield. I was the first to say losing JR was a huge deal, but KP has been very solid and we all know KJ is electric. I still don't believe KJ is an every down back but with KP and KJ then add in KM we have a solid backfield.

Where is the proof this backfield is solid? Your visions?

5 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Probably what they meant was that they were in trouble because the practices weren't closED. So Gus fixed it and made the practice facility like Ft. Knox.  Now the team's in better shape.

Seriously though, that's the first negative report (aside from no QB decision) that I've heard since JR was dismissed.  Most reports have been pretty positive..... The few we actually get.

32 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Horton + Gus + talented recruits = ?

(it's the same answer as it has been every year when those variables are together) 

48 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Where was the proof when you made your predictions? Probably your visions or a hunch....KP was a pretty good tailback at Prattville high, has a good frame, runs with power, Kerryon is a good balance of speed and quickness and just enough power but not a bruiser. Cox can work inside runs as well as block. Not to mention AU is solid inside with X, Kozan, and ALL SEC Preseason guard Smith. The running game has potential but everybody including you is just guessing until we see what happens in a week or so, and even then we may not know what type of team AU has until the end of Sept.

On 8/8/2016 at 9:48 AM, bigbird said:

I agree.  He reminds me of Rudi

E will go crazy if Pettway has a big year. Same HS. I am certain E must have taught Pettway everything he knows. Ha.

My "MMW" prediction was 8-4 for the season.  I am sticking with that until we get over 8 wins or over 4 losses.  I really do feel like this season could go either way.  

I definitely see the reasons that Viper would predict 5-7, but I also can see the potential that some see when they say "If we get good QB play we can win the whole darn thing."

When I see the idiots on the SEC Network laughing at one guy who predicted us to be 3rd in the West, it makes me a little angry.  I would love for these guys to back pedal in November and talk about how they knew Auburn would battle for the SEC Championship and how they have been on the Gus Bus all along.

I haven't posted in a year or so, but excited about the season. Defense looks solid, if they can carry until our QB gets some momentum, that will be nice

Watched the A day game yesterday, maybe JFranklin could get the job done.

19 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Where was the proof when you made your predictions? Probably your visions or a hunch....KP was a pretty good tailback at Prattville high, has a good frame, runs with power, Kerryon is a good balance of speed and quickness and just enough power but not a bruiser. Cox can work inside runs as well as block. Not to mention AU is solid inside with X, Kozan, and ALL SEC Preseason guard Smith. The running game has potential but everybody including you is just guessing until we see what happens in a week or so, and even then we may not know what type of team AU has until the end of Sept.

No one's football predictions are solid. They can be stated with confidence, which is typically backed up by some solid evidence.

The few flashes from Kerryon & Pettway in 2015 are not solid in the least. Kerryon scored all 3 of his TDs on QB keepers. Between he, Barber, Robinson and Roc, he had the worst YPC average. Pettway looked awesome on his one catch. Still not solid.

Solid is Dyer in 2010 with 1093 yards. Solid is Tre Mason in 2012, who eclipsed 1000 yards on a horrendous team. Solid is CAP in 2013 with 610 yards & 6 TDs sharing carries with 3 ball carriers.

We have nothing even remotely close to that.

On 8/12/2016 at 9:32 PM, NCTiger1982 said:

When I read about realistic expectations, most realistic fans and other excuses to “accept” another year of underachievement I just think our biggest problem as a fan base is our acceptance of mediocrity. If we are committed to consistently being  an SECC & NC contender we have to stop making  excuses for poor performance trends. Some of our current bumps in the road are obviously from JJ hiring a HC with 1 year under his belt. I think Gus gets 2 more years to prove he has grown into the HC position regardless of our record this year. That said, the last place a HC should have problems for any extended period of time is the side he cut his teeth on. I am ready to see us kick some tail and also kick the excuses to the curb.

War Damn Eagle

NO.  What we need to do is establish consistency and WIN GAMES.  Not one thing said here as an excuse, reason, or whatever else you want to call it,  has any bearing on us being a consistent SEC and National Title contender.  

16 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No one's football predictions are solid. They can be stated with confidence, which is typically backed up by some solid evidence.

The few flashes from Kerryon & Pettway in 2015 are not solid in the least. Kerryon scored all 3 of his TDs on QB keepers. Between he, Barber, Robinson and Roc, he had the worst YPC average. Pettway looked awesome on his one catch. Still not solid.

Solid is Dyer in 2010 with 1093 yards. Solid is Tre Mason in 2012, who eclipsed 1000 yards on a horrendous team. Solid is CAP in 2013 with 610 yards & 6 TDs sharing carries with 3 ball carriers.

We have nothing even remotely close to that.

Maybe..maybe not. We are not sure Bama has anything close to Derrick Henry either.   However players do improve and the optimism for Pettway and KJ is warranted. We just can't write them off as not being remotely close to those other guys you mentioned. Because they have yet to receive adequate opportunity to prove themselves. Let's see them play some games first before making defintive judgements.

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Maybe..maybe not. We are not sure Bama has anything close to Derrick Henry either.   However players do improve and the optimism for Pettway and KJ is warranted. We just can't write them off as not being remotely close to those other guys you mentioned. Because they have yet to receive adequate opportunity to prove themselves. Let's see them play some games first before making defintive judgements.

No one in the SEC besides LSU has anything close to Henry.

Never said one can't be optimistic about Kerryon & Pettway. In fact, I am. But saying they're a solid backfield right now isn't accurate in the least. They could run for 2000+ yards combined and they still wouldn't have been warranted "solid" in the preseason as their stats do not support it.

Archived