Women vs. Ole Miss - Game Thread

WarTiger

Jaz. Jones with a layup after a pass from mcKay.   Another steal and Montgomery with a THREE.  53-31.  Timeout ole miss.

Looks like the Lady's BB is going to end Auburn's extremely bad week in sports on a happy note!

Ole Miss pressing and Frerking's throw in goes the length of the floor to McKay and she lays it in. 73-56.  Jones with a basket, assist by Frerking.   75-56

Sanders puts it in.  80-56.  Another steal by Auburn and Sanders gets it to the basket and is fouled.  1st no good.  2nd good.  81-56

Auburn will dribble it out and that is your ball game.  Auburn wins 83-60 over ole miss.  Auburn forced 24 turnovers.  Auburn had 25 assists and 13 steals.    Montgomery lead all scores with 25.  McKay had 13 points and 12 assists.   Frerking with 11.  WAR EAGLE!!

Seems to be a big quality range in the SEC or women's basketball. Hard to believe this is the same Auburn team was slammed by South Carolina a few days ago. As has been noted a number of times. The league is a case of haves and have-nots....and  a few that seem to go either way . 

It was a great game. Stifling Defense. Those girls just seem to never run out of energy today. Also some great blocked shots. Took the kids again, had a great time. Only $6 bucks for a general admission and you can almost pick a seat anywhere. If any of you have not been and live close by check it out. I know the team would appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Seems to be a big quality range in the SEC or women's basketball. Hard to believe this is the same Auburn team was slammed by South Carolina a few days ago. As has been noted a number of times. The league is a case of haves and have-nots....and  a few that seem to go either way . 

South Carolina is the class of the league this year along with Mississippi State. Tennessee is not the same with Coach Warlick as they were with Coach Summitt, but that is to be expected. 

The bottom of the league is getting better. The Ole Miss team we just beat is 12-4. Heck, Bama is 14-2, but their pre-SEC schedule was not as strong as ours. 

Do you guys think we'll make the tournament again this year? I haven't been able to follow too much this year but I know last year was a big step forward for the program.

Finally....a win this week by one of our programs. Here's to a better week coming up. 

15 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Finally....a win this week by one of our programs. Here's to a better week coming up. 

well, it is only the first day of the week.  :lol:  Women's team won last sunday too though

53 minutes ago, all4AU said:

South Carolina is the class of the league this year along with Mississippi State. Tennessee is not the same with Coach Warlick as they were with Coach Summitt, but that is to be expected. 

The bottom of the league is getting better. The Ole Miss team we just beat is 12-4. Heck, Bama is 14-2, but their pre-SEC schedule was not as strong as ours. 

Tennessee is still very very talented and will likely finish as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the SEC.  They have played a brutal schedule.  The bottom of the league is getting better, primarily due to better coaching in the conference.  We played well today, but I'm not real confident that we will be able to sustain that level of play when we play teams like Tennessee and Ms State because of their size inside and the quality post players they have.  Brandy Montgomery was on fire today. Freking is the most consistent player we have, but our success or lack thereof seems to really depend on whether Brandy is making her shots or not.   When she is on, we are tough to beat. 

Looking around the conference, LSU could surprise this year.  They look much better than last season and haven't suffered the injury bug so far.  Vanderbilt made a coaching hire that I haven't heard discussed very much, but could easily make Vandy the next Ms State in terms of success.  I really liked M Balcolm and was shocked when she was forced out, but the new staff they have has the potential to do great things at Vandy.  Texas A&M is down relative to recent years, but they are well coached and will be tough as the season progresses.

53 minutes ago, all4AU said:

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Do you guys think we'll make the tournament again this year? I haven't been able to follow too much this year but I know last year was a big step forward for the program.

I think we have a shot to make the tournament, but its probably gonna be close down the stretch.  We have some tough games, conference games, ahead.  We have to win games that we are supposed to win, like this week at Vandy.  If we lose games like that, games that we have against top level teams, like Tennessee and Ms State, become must wins and that is a dangerous way to try to get an NCAA bid.  I understand what you mean when you say last year was a "big step forward for the program", but I have a hard time accepting that our program should be just hoping to get into the tournament every year.  I believe that we have the resources and tradition in place that should allow us to recruit at a level that leads to an expectation of making the tournament.  I don't expect us to be in the sweet 16 every year, but we should be able to field a team consistently that is competitive with teams that do.

24 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I have a hard time accepting that our program should be just hoping to get into the tournament every year.  

I completely agree with this. We have the players to make it to the sweet 16. My biggest worry is that if we do make it in we will be an eight or ninth seed just like last year which means we'd have to play the number 1 seed in our portion of the bracket if we win the first game. I believe this even happened last season. I hate to be negative but I just don't think we have the power to beat a one seed right now.

Archived