Is this a bad time to be an Auburn Football/Basketball fan?

autigersj

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Unless they are 65 or older don't sit down just keep standing lol

Don't need to mind oldsters either

ETA - us

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I'll take this over 1990-1992...

Three year stretch coming off an epic IB win...hmmm...2017 is looking good then. :happydance:

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Hey I am always making noise and standing up until the people behind me tell me to sit down.  If I still have a voice after the game, I did not do enough.  It was weird going from student seating to season ticket seats. In the student section we were always standing on top of our seats unless it was halftime.  Now, I have learned, season ticket holders like to only stand for third down or if we get a touchdown, which was a bummer.  It is nice having a reserved seat though.

I was lucky enough to get student tickets in '13-'15 (until they changed the ticket policy). I'd prefer to be in that section over the entire stadium (minus some of the more annoying Greek members).

2 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I was lucky enough to get student tickets in '13-'15 (until they changed the ticket policy). I'd prefer to be in that section over the entire stadium (minus some of the more annoying Greek members).

I had them from 2009-2013.  I was fortunate to be there for both championship runs.  I was also in the Greek section where the block seating was.  I am proud to say however my fraternity was not one of the problem makers.  Never had any issues and always arrived on time to our seats.  We were the fraternity though that would find the kicker of the opposing team and start talking to him until he would acknowledge us.  It was really funny.  They kept looking away trying not to laugh, but we knew they could hear us.  I am actually okay with season tickets now, mainly because my family and I have pretty good seats and we have the seat backs which is nice.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I had them from 2009-2013.  I was fortunate to be there for both championship runs.  I was also in the Greek section where the block seating was.  I am proud to say however my fraternity was not one of the problem makers.  Never had any issues and always arrived on time to our seats.  We were the fraternity though that would find the kicker of the opposing team and start talking to him until he would acknowledge us.  It was really funny.  They kept looking away trying not to laugh, but we knew they could hear us.  I am actually okay with season tickets now, mainly because my family and I have pretty good seats and we have the seat backs which is nice.

I was a student in '04-'05 so I got the '04 and '13 championship runs. '04 is still my favorite. I just remember the entire stadium getting so loud during that season. It was amazing!

I haven't had too many issues with the Greeks - and almost always when there is a problem it's because they are drunk and eventually one of their own will intervene. I get more annoyed with the sorority girls who could care less about the game and are chattering about nonsense the whole game. lol

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I was a freshman in 91... it took me 2 years to get why football was so important at Auburn.

...and I can certainly understand.

Unfortunately what was worse than what was "on the field" was the off the field crap and the team and university (and people) getting drug through the mud.

For those who think the Cam stuff was bad?  It was MUCH worse then.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

...and I can certainly understand.

Unfortunately what was worse than what was "on the field" was the off the field crap and the team and university (and people) getting drug through the mud.

For those who think the Cam stuff was bad?  It was MUCH worse then.

I guess I was too naive at the time... the Cam stuff felt way worse to me.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I guess I was too naive at the time... the Cam stuff felt way worse to me.

The Cam stuff was 3 months of BSPN.

The Ramsey stuff was 3 years of ABC, NBC, 60 minutes, NYT, every major SE newspaper, etc. etc.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

The Cam stuff was 3 months of BSPN.

The Ramsey stuff was 3 years of ABC, NBC, 60 minutes, NYT, every major SE newspaper, etc. etc.

Yup... I was naive.  Guess that's what happens when you transfer a Midwestern non-sports fan into the SEC.

It is never a bad time to be an AUBURN FAN, but can be trying/frustrating at times being an Auburn sports fan.  But one thing about Auburn sports, it is always exciting because you can't always be sure what you are going to get.

But right now, the effort of the BBall guys, the pressure of the Women's team ( if you haven't been to watch them you are missing out) and only one month until softball starts.  Plenty to keep you entertained.  Then add Swimming and Diving and Gymnastics getting started, plenty of opportunity to cheer for the Tigers!

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Hey I am always making noise and standing up until the people behind me tell me to sit down.  If I still have a voice after the game, I did not do enough.  It was weird going from student seating to season ticket seats. In the student section we were always standing on top of our seats unless it was halftime.  Now, I have learned, season ticket holders like to only stand for third down or if we get a touchdown, which was a bummer.  It is nice having a reserved seat though.

I agree with your mindset in many of your post and always thought how your responses could very well be me posting.

That being said, this was true for me too. The switch out of the student section was quite an adjustment. We have season tickets now and I stand and yell, which totally irritates the older people (and sometimes my husband) behind us. But, I don't understand why the entire stadium isn't jacked up and into the games. I was a student during 02-06 -  Such fun years and we were always on our feet. Anywho from one Greek to another, WDE. 

And to the the original poster, I am surrounded by uga and Bama fans. None of which actually attended the school they cheer for so I feel your pain. I get picked on a lot and have to give a warning that it's time for them to back off. I was blessed that the only other AU alum was the HR manager who pulled my resume since we are "family." It will get better! Or I'll be looking for a new job. ?

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

However I will add that we need to do our part.  We need to be filling Jordan-Hare and being loud and rowdy like the days of the 80s and 90s.  Now we wait for the team to do something before we affect the game.  We need to keep filling up the basketball arena to help Bruce sell the program.  To steal and edit from JFK ... it's not what has Auburn done for you but what have you done for Auburn.

Love this post.  

My family has a roof over their heads because of what Auburn instilled in me.  Auburn gave me more than I gave Auburn. 

It is NEVER a bad time to be an Auburn Man/Woman.  What you see on TV is but a small part of it.  

Auburn will be just fine. A new day is coming.  Auburn will return to prominence on the field and court.  I don't know when, but they will

It's never a bad time to be an Auburn fan. Our teams may go through rough spots but there's no other school I'd rather be associated with.

1: agree with others - it is never a bad time to be a fan.

2: Auburn went 50 years without playing for a national title, yet in the last 6 years we won one and then played for another. We just signed the best QB in the nation and he is already on campus.

I'd say it is a great time to be an AU fan.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

We just signed who is widely considered the best juco QB in the nation and he is already on campus.

Fixed it for you.  Don't want people getting too excited, since he hasn't played a snap in over a year.

Have not read the other opinions but I still think Auburn athletics is about to do big things.

Football- We have the talent and the QB to score TDs now. Will be more competitive against the better offensive teams.

Men's Basketball- Foundation is set and our highly ranked players are learning how to win. 

Baseball- Less certainty. We did get a new video board though. Thanks Jay Jacobs

Softball- Our coach is elite and has made our program elite because of it.

I know I'm late to this thread but here's my thoughts:

As far as football goes, no it's not the worst stretch Auburn's been in. I wasn't alive during the 1970's but losing to Alabama 9 years in a row has got to be tough to live through. So no, it's not that bad for Auburn football right now. It's just more frustrating watching us continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with questionable hires and not be able to sustain success, all the while Alabama's is playing for or winning NC's.

As for basketball, some can flame me if they want but from a historical perspective, this is the worst stretch of Auburn basketball ever. It's absolutely depressing to watch how far down the program has gone. Every other SEC team has been to the NCAA tournament since we last went in 2003, which is 14 years ago now. We had an 11 year stretch of not making the NCAA tournament from 1988-1999 but even then we did make a couple of NIT appearances with Tommy Joe Eagles and Cliff Ellis in-between that stretch. We've only made one NIT appearance in the last 14 years and only had 2 winning seasons overall during this stretch of losing. Hopefully Bruce Pearl can turn it around but the thing we've been missing since Cliff Ellis was here are the fundamentals and playing smart in order to turn close losses into wins. Far too often our basketball teams have been a highlight reel of what not to do to win games. The difference that Bruce Pearl has made is upgrading the talent on the team through recruiting but the fundamentals are still lacking and may hold us back from getting to the NCAA tournament unless Pearl is able to just recruit well enough for the talent to offset the lack of fundamentals. 

Well, personally I totally get what the OP is talking about and truly to me it has nothing to do with us really. To me, it's just the constant crap with the Updyke crowd, a never ending grind that can wear down even the most ardent AU fan. Look, everyone here is a big AU grad and/or supporter so the easy answer is to say something like "it's never a bad time to an AU fan" or something similar- so sure there's that and that's totally true, but there's also been a whole lot better times too and that's a fact. :)

To the OP, keep your head up man. As others have said, this current state of affairs will pass and all will be right with the world again. 

:hellyeah:

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, autigersj said:

Agreed. I think we are proving this point everyday with the current state of affairs.

I understand what you are saying and can sympathize with you. You're just saying that as a fan you are frustrated, as I am, with watching our football team and our bball team rack up loss after loss. The good news is I believe both programs are very fixable. We are in much better shape in bball right now b/c you can clearly see when you watch that we are 1 of the top talented teams in the nation, but these guys are just so young and inexperienced that they just don't quite know what all it takes to translate talent into wins right now. I'm convinced we could not have anybody better to develop that talent than BP, and as this year goes on and into next year, we will start to see the w's pile up more and more.

As for football, we have a top 5 rushing attack in the nation. Our problem is that when we come up on teams that have the know how and the talent to stop our running attack, we do not have a legit passing attack to counter with. The key to this is if Gus is smart enough to realize this is the problem, and not too stubborn to do something about it by hiring an OC who can bring that passing game in here that we have to have in order to take us to double digit wins next year. Cheer up. War Eagle!

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, autigersj said:

Guys,

I am bummed out. At work all I hear is rolll tide from to another. "We will be fine with Sark, he likes to run the ball more". I have a couple of buddy's who are Texas and Tenn fans living in Alabama. We all say, this is worst it has been in our lives (we are relatively young). The gump fandom is at an all time nauseating high. The low football IQ from these people kill me!

From watching the end of this AU football season to seeing the basketball team just not put things together yet is disappointing. There has been alot of Gus/JJ/every QB on roster hate here lately. While I was happy to see the team go to the Sugar Bowl, I think we all know we weren't quite the caliber team to play in that bowl. I think our expectations get out of whack, We were picked last in our division and exceeded that and then it kinda crashed into the ground in awful way. Basketball feels the same way. 

Cmon softball, lets go win a title!!

I feel your pain young grasshopper. Being an Auburn fan transcends anything a bammer could ever hope for. Life for a bammer is like a box of turds and you never know which one your gonna get.

Archived