Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

22 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Honest?

Never been good at it,

but that's just me.

6ER2kEt.jpg

Looks like Lane Kiffin with a beard to me.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, aufan57 said:

I saw Mike Yurcich's name mentioned in a Montgomery Advertiser article. Has a good resume. I do not believe his name has been brought up in this thread. 

BIO

I think this guy could be the answer for what Gus needs in a OC. Could not ask for a better fit IMHO. I am sure that we could get with the funds we have. OSU just cannot compete with us when it comes to being able to pay a coach. I say to Gus...hire this man asap!

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Time to write him off of the list. Mike Yurich at OSU has everything we need in an OC. He could make our passing game deadly of which will make our running game deadly. Gus, hire this man today!

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Eagle! Hope you are having a great day. It has been sad at my home in that my 11 year old Welsh Corgi had a bad seizure last night and we are pretty much having her in hospice. She is my "War Damn Corgi", in that when I would get excited when we made a good play in a game, she barks and runs around the room all full of love for her beloved Auburn Tigers. She has an Auburn collar that she guards with her life. I have to be careful when I bath her with taking it off in that if I do not do it the way she likes, she will bite me in a second. She rarely breaks the skin, but she is telling me to be a bit more careful removing it. As soon as she is totally dry, she demands that I put it back on her. We will likely need to put her to rest this coming Monday. She is ready to run and play with all of God's critters in Heaven.

OK, sorry to go on about Belle, but she means the worlds to me. I understand about being a single parent indeed. One thing that should be a very positive point would be to come to Auburn in that there are few places in college football that offers something rival to Camelot; Auburn, Alabama. If he is thinking about taking the job, he should be made aware of the family friendly, Auburn, Al.

Damn!

All my best to Her Ladyship!

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Obviously its a sailboat

Oh I see ... our new OC is a sailor. :slapfh: 

Or currently resides in South Florida :wavey:

How about Gus Malzahn as OC....

Maybe the deal they are working is for a head coach and Gus is going to step back to being OC so he can concentrate on just offense.

Okay, I don't know any OCs to throw out there so just some fodder why we wait to here any other news....

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

I say give Phillip Montgomery alot more than his pay at Tulsa and he might might step down for couple years in SEC.

Not happening. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tusportsextra/tu-coach-philip-montgomery-gets-new-five-year-deal/article_959a92cf-7d29-524f-adeb-b0222ff3b11d.html

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Time to write him off of the list. Mike Yurich at OSU has everything we need in an OC. He could make our passing game deadly of which will make our running game deadly. Gus, hire this man today!

does gundy call the plays there or does he?

20 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Well one could Dream lol... 

As long as Gus is HC, I am afraid that the OC position is pretty much meaningless.  Gus is not going to give up control of the O>

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I still think we need an OC that has a lot of experience with the spread offense. Sterling Gilbert is my top choice with Mark Helfrich. There are others out there that might make a great OC. It is too bad that we cannot make it work with Art Briles. A remote chance, but one that could work would be to hire out Kiffin from FAU and pay him a better salary that he is making at FAU. Maybe a deal with getting Kendall Briles in the process. This would require losing or moving an offensive coach to another position.

I know was well as you and most others that the Kiffin plan would never get off of the runway. It would make Saban go off of the deep end. We want a coach who can beat Uga and bammer. Kiffin could make this work.

Doc, gotta disagree here. Kiffin is a cancer, esp to the coaching staff. He just does not get it. Saban could not take it anymore.

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

As long as Gus is HC, I am afraid that the OC position is pretty much meaningless.  Gus is not going to give up control of the O>

I disagree. The moving of Rhett suggests otherwise imo. It's gonna be Gus playbook but he wants someone to give full control that can open up the passing game and he wants someone to work with QB's. Imo the moving of Rhett shows Gus is evolving as a HC.

21 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

If we want Gus to act in more of a CEO role, then we may as well fire him.  He was hired for his dynamic offensive prowess.

Just now, AUDevil said:

If we want Gus to act in more of a CEO role, then we may as well fire him.  He was hired for his dynamic offensive prowess.

Gus can be involved and help in offensive strategy from a bigger picture perspective without being the guy who's directly coaching QBs or calling plays on Saturdays.

22 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Sure he will. He actually gave it up this week. That's what this whole thing is. 

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Gus can be involved and help in offensive strategy from a bigger picture perspective without being the guy who's directly coaching QBs or calling plays on Saturdays.

This I agree with...but that's far from giving the keys to an OC and staying out of it.  I'm hoping we keep a similar O...just slightly shift direction and effectively add some complexities.

Just now, AUDevil said:

This I agree with...but that's far from giving the keys to an OC and staying out of it.  I'm hoping we keep a similar O...just slightly shift direction and effectively add some complexities.

We will keep a similar offense.  We're looking for someone who can call the plays, improve our passing game and adapt to how defenses are attacking us.  Gus needs to be the head coach, not the de facto OC agonizing over every play call.

The only thing this offense needs is balance, breaking of tendencies, good fundamental QB developer, and slighty above average recruiter.  You get that and you've hit a grandslam no matter who the person is.

Archived