Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

From what I remember last year when georgia tried to hire him that was in his contract at arky.

Ah, ok

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I have been thinking about and I will throw this out there. I don't have answers, I just like to stimulate conversation.

When Gus 1st went Arkansas in 2006 his offense was successful because is was new, inventive caught the SEC off guard and got them to the SEC championship game. It is was believed to be hamstrung the last few games by Houston Nutt possibly being a cause of them loosing the last 3 games.

2007 and 2008 at Tulsa his offenses lead the nation. He is allowed to run his offense completely with out restrictions. 

When he came to Auburn the 1st time in 2009 The running and passing game picked up, Chris Todd and his broke arm had a career year. 2010 with much help from Cam Neton we won the SEC/NC. After that we know how things went. 

2013 he comes back we reach the NCG. Yet after that the offense slowly dies. 

And now here we sit. 

The years of success Gus has had really are 2006, 07, 08, 10, 13. 

In 06 his offense was innovative but he never was able to truly unleash it because of Houston Nutt.

At Tulsa in 07 and 08 he released his offense and was gone before coaches in the AAC could adapt.

At Auburn in 10 he had Cam.

2013 he comes back but SEC coaches have seen his variety of offenses in 06, 09, 10, players are more athletic, can adapt faster and the HUNH type offense had become more popular. He has seen what works and does not. He tweeks the offense, also has one of the great plays in Auburn history - The Prayer at Jordan-Hare and the greatest play to ever end a college football game - The Kick Six and boom back in the NC game.

Then 14, 15 and 16.

So to me, his best seasons have always been a flash in the pan. Catching a conference off guard and leaving before the conference defenses have a chance to adapt. (See Nick Saban Defenses adapting for understanding, heck see Saban offenses for that matter also). Also he has had a lot of luck or miracle or supremely well executed plays, depending on you point of view. 

So is hiring someone from the Gus tree a flash in the pan type situation? Catch to Conference off guard the first year but after that, not gonna happen. Bye bye Gus.

What about hiring a former HC. Flash in the pan, because they are only going to around for a year. 

In the what have you done for me lately college football world how is possible to avoid this. 

Offense is still a good/great offense just needs a talented QB as all offenses do.  When Sean is healthy the offense is fine when he's not and he's been hurt to much then it falls off just like everyone's offense.   What do you think happens in that championship game if Watson got hurt and knocked out of the game on that clothesline from foster early in the game.  Bama cake walks something like 45-10.

42 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I saw Mike Yurcich's name mentioned in a Montgomery Advertiser article. Has a good resume. I do not believe his name has been brought up in this thread.

BIO

he looks like he has some good credentials; I had the chance to watch Slippery Rock & Shippensberg play football at University of Michigan's stadium in the late 70's- it was a pretty interesting game.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

SO everyone make your guess what page will we be on when a OC is finally named? I say 61.

Well it appears everyone from the initial search is ruled out.. Spavitak to West Virginia.. helfrich, briles.. who else is even available? Dan Enos?

PM has update on OC search (take it for what's its worth) 

- It won't be a Briles, will have more experience than Lindsey & Helfrich is out of the running (no info if he turned it down or what) 

- New OC will run Malzahn's system but be asked to modernize the pass offense 

- OC won't necessarily be a QB coach though that is preferred. If not a QB coach expect more staff changes 

- It's expected he will run the offense & call the plays 

- Stidham was disappointed Lashlee left but is at AU to stay 

- Returning offensive talent makes job attractive to candidates 

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

This was what I was most concerned about. Had Stidham transferred because of Lashlee, I would have gone into Tom Hanks Cast Away depression.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Its definitely Mike Shula since he started heavily using some of Gus' offense on the Panthers

If ya' can't beat 'em...join 'em.

Would be the most interesting hire, to say the least.

Seems Cam would approve.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

New OC will run Malzahn's system but be asked to modernize the pass offense 

Just curious how this could be achieved productively in 1 off-season without someone who has worked in the system before. 

I used to hate hearing of people other than our HC controlling things in our program. But for the first time I'm not  too upset at the idea. The PTB are meddling and pointing our coach in the right direction because IMO you lose all benefit of the doubt when you let Craig walk to a rival in favor of a guy who was gently fired less than a year after and replaced him with somebody like Kodi Burns - whom I am a fan of but don't think he should be at AU as a position coach at this point in his career. I can see how you'd want to make sure loud and clear this needs to be a big time hire.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

This was what I was most concerned about. Had Stidham transferred because of Lashlee, I would have gone into Tom Hanks Cast Away depression.

Unlike his situation though....you'd be on a very heavily populated island.

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

- It won't be a Briles, will have more experience than Lindsey & Helfrich is out of the running (no info if he turned it down or what) 

- OC won't necessarily be a QB coach though that is preferred. If not a QB coach expect more staff changes 

Many thanks for the SEC rant material.

I am relieved that we thought Lindsey didn't have enough experience though because...he didn't.

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Just curious how this could be achieved productively in 1 off-season without someone who has worked in the system before. 

Easy.  Just introduce a handful of new, intermediate pass routes.

Voila!

I would think this person knows a Malzahn type offense, and just needs to incorporate or mold his passing offensive schemes in with it from formations and personnel. 

That's why it is good they would have the spring AND Stidham to work together to become familiar with it...

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Sounds like nothing but a huge cluster.  What a freaking mess.  I would guess KB was plan A and got nixed.  Now the search is like a rudderless ship bobbing in the waves.  Sad.

15 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Must not pay much attention since it's about as subtile as a neon sign

add me to that list then. lol. I have seen this whole thread with all the names mentioned, and I cant get a feel for what hire JJ would get cold feet on..unless the new name cropping up just started getting mention on here today....

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Many thanks for the SEC rant material.

I am relieved that we thought Lindsey didn't have enough experience though because...he didn't.

Thank you! 

Add me to the too-stupid-to-understand-subtelety list. Maybe I'm not smart enough (or cryptic enough) for this message board. I've only been following Auburn football since the late 1960s, so I guess I can't be expected to know anything about things that are "subtle as a neon sign" when it comes to AU football.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

add me to that list then. lol. I have seen this whole thread with all the names mentioned, and I cant get a feel for what hire JJ would get cold feet on..unless the new name cropping up just started getting mention on here today....

I would say Kendal Briles since Bird gave another hint and said it wasnt Art. 

Just now, 1974AUgrad said:

Add me to the too-stupid-to-understand-subtelety list. Maybe I'm not smart enough (or cryptic enough) for this message board. I've only been following Auburn football since the late 1960s, so I guess I can't be expected to know anything about things that are "subtle as a neon sign" when it comes to AU football.

Don't worry. Neon signs are outdated anyway. :). I try to stay current...so if its not in LED display..i won't pick it up either..))

I say cut our losses and get Gilbert here Pronto. If we can't poach him from USF,we have bigger problems. Get his ass here to settle the players down, stabilize our potential recruits till NSD and give a call to Joey , keeping him on board.

Archived