Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

why is Gilbert being brought up here? Is he even been mentioned by any of the media of AU insiders? Just wondering.

It seems to me based on what has been reported so far..its coming down to only Lindsey and a terrible last resort...Hand.

Anyone else feeling this?

The DC search should have taught us the names most talked about many times aren't the ones ultimately hired. I don't believe Steele was on anyone's radar when it was being discussed.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If anyone actually read this article- it pretty much takes MH out of the running: 

"A source told AL.com that Helfrich, who was fired after going 4-8 in his fourth season as Oregon head coach, is waiting on a head coaching job and would be highly unlikely to take the offensive coordinator position if it were offered by Auburn's Gus Malzahn.

While message boards run rampant with rumors as to Helfrich's whereabouts, his willingness to wait for a head coaching job in the future - he's due a buyout of $11.6 million over the next three years from Oregon - could be put to the test as all FBS head coaching positions are filled.

Helfrich, who was 37-16 as head coach for the Ducks, has not called plays since he was offensive coordinator at Colorado in 2008. Chip Kelly called Oregon's plays as head coach from 2009-12 and Helfrich gave offensive coordinators Scott Frost (2013-15) and Matt Lubick (2016) play-calling duties."

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Because one poster mentioned him as their candidate. 

Gilbert's name first popped up a while ago when talk first started flying about Lashlee being pushed out.  Mark Murphy brought him up today so I believe that he must be back in the fold, and it makes very logical sense.

There has been zero talk about Herb Hand being promoted.  That is just paranoia.  I'm not even sure if Gus would be allowed to do that.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

Are you saying my wish may come true?? :jossun:

Not saying that, but his name is on the list. BTW, he's my wish too.

Just now, steeleagle said:

oh oh. Sounds like a new list has to be developed by Gus.

Not necessarily. That list might have just been a bunch of names thrown together by some bad reporters

I am warming up to Gilbert, as Al.com and SEC Country are reporting MH desire to be a head coach. Do not want a rent a coach for a season

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/coaching-rumors-mark-helfrich-unlikely-become-auburns-offensive-coordinator

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/developments_in_auburn_offensi.html

agree..I don't want anything to do with an ex HC..now assistant who still wants to be HC. Just look what it did to Saban in the championship game with Kiffen..lol

27 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I think I like this Sterling Gilbert idea!

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not necessarily. That list might have just been a bunch of names thrown together by some bad reporters

Is Gilbert a good QB coach? How is he as a recruiter? I apologize for my laziness to do research but you seem to have a good base of knowledge about him. 

5 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Gilbert jumps from job to job.  Mainly one year stints.

Maybe after awhile him & Greg Brown will quit jumping.

6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Is Gilbert a good QB coach? How is he as a recruiter? I apologize for my laziness to do research but you seem to have a good base of knowledge about him. 

A lot of experience it seems. Jumped around a bit.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2003 Springtown (TX) HS (RB)
2004 Springtown (TX) HS (QB)
2005 Houston (GA)
2006–2007 Cooper (TX) HS (OC/QB)
2008–2010 Lake View (TX) HS
2011 Temple (TX) HS (OC/QB)
2012–2013 Eastern Illinois (OC/QB)
2014 Bowling Green (OC/QB)
2015 Tulsa (OC/QB)
2016 Texas (OC/QB)
2017–present South Florida (OC/QB)

There are probably 150 OCs out there in FBS and FCS and many of them are pretty good, creative and good teachers I expect and most of us could not name 10 of them before this opening came about. ....and the ones we know of might not even be the best....likely just coaches at schools we are familiar with or guys who have spent some time here under Gus.

I find it hard to buy into the idea that only one or two guys among them are suitable for AU. JMO but over the years, some of the biggest disappointments as coaches are guys who somehow got classified as "wow" hires.   

8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Gilbert jumps from job to job.  Mainly one year stints.

They were all vertical moves until he lost his job at Texas.  If he landed here, he'd be here for a bit.

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

I haven't a clue!

I think you are wrong about Werner being a pro-style QB coach. OM has run a pass oriented spread offense since Freeze became their coach. Werner would actually be a good hire as our OC.

9 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Yes.

Has done very well recruiting.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

They were all vertical moves until he lost his job at Texas.  If he landed here, he'd be here for a bit.

And bring continuity in scheme for Stidham

35 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Maybe after awhile him & Greg Brown will quit jumping.

I think Gilbert would settle down if he comes to Auburn. UT with its coaching change pretty much ended his tenure with the horns. He could really ignite our offense and have us back in double digit wins. I hope Gus has him on the Gus-Bus GPS

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I think you are wrong about Werner being a pro-style QB coach. OM has run a pass oriented spread offense since Freeze became their coach. Werner would actually be a good hire as our OC.

I agree. As I said his pedigree is much higher than any name I've heard mentioned. He does have the issue however of being a single parent to two teenage children, since the untimely death of his wife. Has got to be hard to manage as much time as coaching demands at that level. 

5 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

May be some truth to that but.........

if him moving on relieves us of ridiculous decisions decisions like playing 5 qb's and not playing Franklin in the uga game.........great. 

If it doesn't.......Gus won't be here long enough for it to matter

I am not in the CIA, but I'm pretty sure Rhett didn't make those decisions. 

10 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Why is that ridiculous?  One of the concerns that people have would be that Gus would replace Rhett with another Rhett, either in a personal sense or a professional one (the worst example of which would probably be to hire Eliah Drinkwitz).  Part of the impetus for this change is to bring in fresh ideas and a new perspective.  So yeah, not being in the Gus coaching tree is probably something seen as a plus.

Well let's start by defining "coaching tree". Personally? So anybody that crossed paths with him over 30 years of coaching is not fresh enough? Professionally? So nother HUNH tyoe isn't fresh enough? Gus is one of the guru's of that offense and we've recruited our players and coaches to fit it - so all but a couple HUNH coaches are going to be his disciples or wannabes. Unless we're scrapping our O in which case having Herb Hand makes little sense. So yes, Tate is being pretty ridiculous. 

Archived