Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Gilbert jumps from job to job.  Mainly one year stints.

Crystal ball speaking, if he were to have an opportunity for a second year at all, that would mean AU has one heckuva year in 2017.  I'm sure there will be some good OC's avail after next year so I'd be willing to chance it....if I were in Gus' shoes.

5 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

So here is an idea and one we might be over looking. I know he is a current HC but with the right amount of money he might be the guy who were secretly after...

Philip Montgomery

If we hired Phillip Montgomery as our OC I would be ecstatic! His track record speaks for itself. Maybe that's why it's taking so long, we are having to scrape up more money to throw money his way to lure him away from Tulsa.

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I didnt feel very good about the 4 names floating around earlier in this thread but Sterling Gilbert sounds like a great hire at the moment.

A question about guys like this...... .have they ever recruited any significant players who ended up playing well for him...or for the coach who followed him ? 

Frankly, in my view, guys who hop around a lot (even making what appears to be vertical moves) are never held accountable for the entire coaching job they are supposed to perform.  They can turn out a reasonable offense with players they find (and probably take the job because the talent is already there) but does the school benefit from their efforts for more than one season...future recruits, development of the kids  ? 

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Well let's start by defining "coaching tree". Personally? So anybody that crossed paths with him over 30 years of coaching is not fresh enough? Professionally? So nother HUNH tyoe isn't fresh enough? Gus is one of the guru's of that offense and we've recruited our players and coaches to fit it - so all but a couple HUNH coaches are going to be his disciples or wannabes. Unless we're scrapping our O in which case having Herb Hand makes little sense. So yes, Tate is being pretty ridiculous. 

I am pretty sure he meant coaches who have not worked under CGM. The Briles have had a connection with CGM, had it not been for the Baylor whole debacle, I feel confident KB would've been named OC by now. Nevertheless, here we are. I don't think the brass wants Chip or Eli as they have come up the ranks working under CGM, something MH nor Gilbert has done.

11 hours ago, metafour said:

They didn't push Lashlee out before signing day to give the job to Hand (who isn't even an OC).  This isn't the plan; and if it actually happens, then start the HC search thread because the power brokers would be livid.

There's a plan?

was plan A Art Briles?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

There was and JJ got cold feet. Now its plan B

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Are you able (or permitted) to explain that a bit more?

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

JJ= ?

JJ may have gotten cold feet for a good reason this time. I would have gotten cold feet if I were him given the particular sitch.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not very becoming to be tossing out innuendo ...or rumor with nothing to back it up.  JMO....

7 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Well let's start by defining "coaching tree". Personally? So anybody that crossed paths with him over 30 years of coaching is not fresh enough? Professionally? So nother HUNH tyoe isn't fresh enough? Gus is one of the guru's of that offense and we've recruited our players and coaches to fit it - so all but a couple HUNH coaches are going to be his disciples or wannabes. Unless we're scrapping our O in which case having Herb Hand makes little sense. So yes, Tate is being pretty ridiculous. 

People who have coached with or under him is what it tends to be. No one has said a thing about avoiding HUNH types. Where did you get that?

There's no need to exaggerate to make a point. They would rather avoid a Gus disciple or someone he coached with coming up if possible. They want someone to bring fresh ideas to this offense. That's it. It's reasonable to valiue that and Tate isn't being ridiculous to state the bleeding obvious. 

If Art isn't coming, is there any chance we could offer Kendal to come be our OC/QB coach. I'm willing to bet that we deeper pockets than FAU.

12 hours ago, steeleagle said:

why is Gilbert being brought up here? Is he even been mentioned by any of the media of AU insiders? Just wondering.

It seems to me based on what has been reported so far..its coming down to only Lindsey and a terrible last resort...Hand.

Anyone else feeling this?

nope

12 hours ago, metafour said:

They were all vertical moves until he lost his job at Texas.  If he landed here, he'd be here for a bit.

Sorry, not sold on that.  He reminds me of Muschamp, but worse.  We need continuity with a proven coach.

12 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Is Gilbert a good QB coach? How is he as a recruiter? I apologize for my laziness to do research but you seem to have a good base of knowledge about him. 

Very good

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If anyone actually read this article- it pretty much takes MH out of the running: 

"A source told AL.com that Helfrich, who was fired after going 4-8 in his fourth season as Oregon head coach, is waiting on a head coaching job and would be highly unlikely to take the offensive coordinator position if it were offered by Auburn's Gus Malzahn.

While message boards run rampant with rumors as to Helfrich's whereabouts, his willingness to wait for a head coaching job in the future - he's due a buyout of $11.6 million over the next three years from Oregon - could be put to the test as all FBS head coaching positions are filled.

Helfrich, who was 37-16 as head coach for the Ducks, has not called plays since he was offensive coordinator at Colorado in 2008. Chip Kelly called Oregon's plays as head coach from 2009-12 and Helfrich gave offensive coordinators Scott Frost (2013-15) and Matt Lubick (2016) play-calling duties."

MF isn't going to be a HC anytime soon.  His drop in success has diminished that likelihood and his buyout would prevent that but would most likely be very negotiable if he were to take an OC job and it would be cheap compared to his HC salary.  It's just under $3 million/yr.  If he were to come on the market for OC I'd think he'd be in the range of $1.3-1.5 million.  Knight et al would want to clear the books and be done with him.  He'll most likely follow the Chizik route though and sit on his butt for a while.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

JJ may have gotten cold feet for a good reason this time. I would have gotten cold feet if I were him given the particular sitch.

Can someone please enlighten those of us not in the know on what this Plan A was and why JJ got cold feet?

I had a supervisor tell me once to be careful who you complain about because you haven't seen their replacement yet. I hope this isn't going to be one of those times. 

2 minutes ago, selias said:

Can someone please enlighten those of us not in the know on what this Plan A was and why JJ got cold feet?

My thinking is it had to to with Art Briles...just a hunch...

Archived