Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, steeleagle said:

My thinking is it had to to with Art Briles...just a hunch...

Art is radioactive, surely he couldn't have been at the top of the list

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, selias said:

Are you able (or permitted) to explain that a bit more?

Not yet. Things might come around again

1 minute ago, aucoff22 said:

Why doesn't Gus just be a man and hire who he wants? Tell JJ to go EAD....

What would Bruce say to JJ if he told him to cut Steven loose?

Gus doesn't have that kind of power.......

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not very becoming to be tossing out innuendo ...or rumor with nothing to back it up.  JMO....

Believe me or don't, it truly doesn't bother me.

It's great if you actually are in the know and have concrete insider information but.... If you can't share it, please don't tease the rest of us with it in the first place. It's unbecoming. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

JJ may have gotten cold feet for a good reason this time. I would have gotten cold feet if I were him given the particular sitch.

I wonder if this is the Lindsey hire with the large buyout issue? Can't think of another Plan A...since Briles was nixed... 

I saw Mike Yurcich's name mentioned in a Montgomery Advertiser article. Has a good resume. I do not believe his name has been brought up in this thread. 

BIO

2 minutes ago, madkat7 said:

It's great if you actually are in the know and have concrete insider information but.... If you can't share it, please don't tease the rest of us with it in the first place. It's unbecoming. 

Fine by me

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gus doesn't have that kind of power.......

Kind of tongue in cheek but that's what I'm saying he needs that kind of power to run his program the way he sees fit.....

I for one am sick of PTB telling our football coaches how to hire their assistants. 

3 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

It's not difficult to connect the dots. 

Oh really?  Most of us can't.  What hire would JJ get cold feet about that's not Art Briles?  

Just now, AUDevil said:

Oh really?  Most of us can't.  What hire would JJ get cold feet about that's not Art Briles?  

NALLSMINGER? :hellyeah:

1 minute ago, madkat7 said:

NALLSMINGER? :hellyeah:

Just now, sevenlee36 said:

Bringing back Tony Franklin

I've just personally sent goons to both of your doors just for mentioning those names again.  :angry:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

There was and JJ got cold feet. Now its plan B

The time to get cold feet would be BEFORE you parted ways with your OC just weeks before signing day. That sounds so unprofessional as to border on intentional. How can you be so incompetent as to not have everything completely ironed out before the Lashlee news broke? 

I am suprised Dan Enos name has not come up even once in all the speculation I have read on message boards. Is he still not permitted to take a job within the sec? I think that was the case last year when bowl cut tried to hire him. FTR I would love to have him. Great QB coach and passing scheme guy.

I have been thinking about and I will throw this out there. I don't have answers, I just like to stimulate conversation.

When Gus 1st went Arkansas in 2006 his offense was successful because is was new, inventive caught the SEC off guard and got them to the SEC championship game. It is was believed to be hamstrung the last few games by Houston Nutt possibly being a cause of them loosing the last 3 games.

2007 and 2008 at Tulsa his offenses lead the nation. He is allowed to run his offense completely with out restrictions. 

When he came to Auburn the 1st time in 2009 The running and passing game picked up, Chris Todd and his broke arm had a career year. 2010 with much help from Cam Neton we won the SEC/NC. After that we know how things went. 

2013 he comes back we reach the NCG. Yet after that the offense slowly dies. 

And now here we sit. 

The years of success Gus has had really are 2006, 07, 08, 10, 13. 

In 06 his offense was innovative but he never was able to truly unleash it because of Houston Nutt.

At Tulsa in 07 and 08 he released his offense and was gone before coaches in the AAC could adapt.

At Auburn in 10 he had Cam.

2013 he comes back but SEC coaches have seen his variety of offenses in 06, 09, 10, players are more athletic, can adapt faster and the HUNH type offense had become more popular. He has seen what works and does not. He tweeks the offense, also has one of the great plays in Auburn history - The Prayer at Jordan-Hare and the greatest play to ever end a college football game - The Kick Six and boom back in the NC game.

Then 14, 15 and 16.

So to me, his best seasons have always been a flash in the pan. Catching a conference off guard and leaving before the conference defenses have a chance to adapt. (See Nick Saban Defenses adapting for understanding, heck see Saban offenses for that matter also). Also he has had a lot of luck or miracle or supremely well executed plays, depending on you point of view. 

So is hiring someone from the Gus tree a flash in the pan type situation? Catch to Conference off guard the first year but after that, not gonna happen. Bye bye Gus.

What about hiring a former HC. Flash in the pan, because they are only going to around for a year. 

In the what have you done for me lately college football world how is possible to avoid this. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am suprised Dan Enos name has not come up even once in all the speculation I have read on message boards. Is he still not permitted to take a job within the sec? I think that was the case last year when bowl cut tried to hire him. FTR I would love to have him. Great QB coach and passing scheme guy.

Not permitted to take a job in the SEC?

Just now, selias said:

Not permitted to take a job in the SEC?

From what I remember last year when georgia tried to hire him that was in his contract at arky.

Archived