The disappearance of DanJel Purifoy

AU64

Half expected to see his picture on my milk carton this morning when I fixed my cereal but remembered seeing him hitting a 25 foot three point attempt (his first basket) last night with half a dozen minutes left.... after the game was basically decided.

My first question is:   How can a guy with his skill and talent play 30 minutes and get one rebound and hit two meaningless 3 point shots and only take 8 shots in a run and shoot game?

We know about the ankle injury but if you look back, DP's dis-involvement began with the arrival of #50 and as mentioned by Cole ( I think) a change of roles for DP.  Those might not might not have  occurred simultaneously but were in a close enough time frame that all of a sudden DP was apparently playing an unfamiliar position and not getting the ball.   

JMO but when BP moved him from 3 to 4 or maybe the other way around...   he might have just as well moved him to the bench....except you have to play a guy with his talent and reputation.  Looks to me that BP took DanJel out of the game as far as having an impact on our success.

There is only one ball and we seem to have 4 guys (aside from DP) who are eager to score....Heron, Dunans, Wiley and Harper/Johnson....so he seems to be the odd man out of offense and is pretty much lost on defense. 

I'm hoping I am wrong...and if so, I'm sure someone or several someones will tell me so ...but what I saw last night and in recent games is not an injured player...but an unhappy player who mostly seems to be going through the motions...especially on defense and rebounding.

My second question is:  Can BP get him re-motivated and back to the level of play that he is capable of?   If not, I'm afraid we are going to see more games like last night.  

51 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Half expected to see his picture on my milk carton this morning when I fixed my cereal but remembered seeing him hitting a 25 foot three point attempt (his first basket) last night with half a dozen minutes left.... after the game was basically decided.

My first question is:   How can a guy with his skill and talent play 30 minutes and get one rebound and hit two meaningless 3 point shots and only take 8 shots in a run and shoot game?

We know about the ankle injury but if you look back, DP's dis-involvement began with the arrival of #50 and as mentioned by Cole ( I think) a change of roles for DP.  Those might not might not have  occurred simultaneously but were in a close enough time frame that all of a sudden DP was apparently playing an unfamiliar position and not getting the ball.   

JMO but when BP moved him from 3 to 4 or maybe the other way around...   he might have just as well moved him to the bench....except you have to play a guy with his talent and reputation.  Looks to me that BP took DanJel out of the game as far as having an impact on our success.

There is only one ball and we seem to have 4 guys (aside from DP) who are eager to score....Heron, Dunans, Wiley and Harper/Johnson....so he seems to be the odd man out of offense and is pretty much lost on defense. 

I'm hoping I am wrong...and if so, I'm sure someone or several someones will tell me so ...but what I saw last night and in recent games is not an injured player...but an unhappy player who mostly seems to be going through the motions...especially on defense and rebounding.

My second question is:  Can BP get him re-motivated and back to the level of play that he is capable of?   If not, I'm afraid we are going to see more games like last night.  

if he doesn't want to get to the program, go all donald trump on him and tell him "you're fired"......if its the injury, then he'll be okay....if he is unhappy and bruce can't convince him to be a part of the big picture, then its better if he goes elsewhere

Watching him play, it reminds me of myself coming off an ankle injury. There's a lot of fear in re-injuring it coming down on someone else's foot in traffic. He seems to be avoiding traffic and that might be why.

He does seem like he doesn't want to move when he has the ball and typically throws a shot up that doesn't end well. Definitely not close to full strength.

45 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

His unwillingness to go inside kinda reveals that his ankles is still tender. He's still quite athletic though... More so than Lang even with a bum ankle 

JMO but it he can't score and can't play defense or rebound..  Lang would be an improvement until DP is fully ready to play....or play Brown who is pretty aggressive on defense.

I think it is a combination of things obviously the ankle but other players have played with a tender ankle without losing that much. I believe after the ankle he lost a little confidence there was a play in the Tenn. game where he broke early and received a long pass near the key on the scoring end instead of putting the ball on the floor and taking one or two dribbles and scoring on a dunk or layup he tried to put up a shot without even getting set. It was real awkward looking. It is like he didn't trust himself to do something he has done all his life.

I have played a lot of basketball no place near the level of these guys and I have played with a bum wheel it does affect your game partly physical and partly mental. I think at this time the mental part is hurting him more than the physical because I have seen him run and jump and cut since he came back and he can still move pretty well.  I have faith he will figure it out he is to talented not to but in the interim I could see BP cutting his minutes some until he gets his swag back.

Anybody saying get rid of him as he is not a team player hasn't watched some of the other things he has done well when out there like moving his hands in Baylor game and getting deflections.

43 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think it is a combination of things obviously the ankle but other players have played with a tender ankle without losing that much. I believe after the ankle he lost a little confidence there was a play in the Tenn. game where he broke early and received a long pass near the key on the scoring end instead of putting the ball on the floor and taking one or two dribbles and scoring on a dunk or layup he tried to put up a shot without even getting set. It was real awkward looking. It is like he didn't trust himself to do something he has done all his life.

I have played a lot of basketball no place near the level of these guys and I have played with a bum wheel it does affect your game partly physical and partly mental. I think at this time the mental part is hurting him more than the physical because I have seen him run and jump and cut since he came back and he can still move pretty well.  I have faith he will figure it out he is to talented not to but in the interim I could see BP cutting his minutes some until he gets his swag back.

Anybody saying get rid of him as he is not a team player hasn't watched some of the other things he has done well when out there like moving his hands in Baylor game and getting deflections.

Yeah, I believe he air balled that floater...a wtf shot indeed.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Nobody suggesting get rid or him or anything of the sort...just wondering if he is injured and not able to guard his man or areas,  why does BP has him on the floor for 30 minutes in a fast paced game....otherwise, if he is not injured...what's going on?  AU looks really bad on defense and rebounding .....need some help out there. 

He was really helping us on the boards prior to his injury too. Maybe he's just in a slump -- it happens. Can't think of a better time to get out of the funk than tomorrow though!

• 2 weeks later...

Injury would explain why he is not attacking the basket on O.

But I don't recall seeing him drive prior to injury either.

I saw something from Danjel last night that we saw a few times early in the season. He came out aggressive and focused. Played with a purpose on offense, but he let his aggressiveness go too far on the defensive end and got into foul trouble. I think that is a big reason why, for most of the season, he hasn't put a ton of consistent effort into defense. He doesn't want to get into foul trouble. 

38 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I saw something from Danjel last night that we saw a few times early in the season. He came out aggressive and focused. Played with a purpose on offense, but he let his aggressiveness go too far on the defensive end and got into foul trouble. I think that is a big reason why, for most of the season, he hasn't put a ton of consistent effort into defense. He doesn't want to get into foul trouble. 

And when his fouls start to rack up he confuses "not fouling" with "not playing any defense at all" almost lol. When he can find the balance between not being overly aggressive but still impeding the opposition from getting easy baskets when he has foul trouble it will be a big boost for us. Not trying to sound harsh because we need him on the floor offensively but sometimes on defense he really hurts us but when he figures defense out it will be a big boost.

Bruce said last night  that basically this entire team is made up of offensive players and they all identify themselves with the offensive side of the ball and trying to get them to play defense has been a big challenge this year.

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

And when his fouls start to rack up he confuses "not fouling" with "not playing any defense at all" almost lol. When he can find the balance between not being overly aggressive but still impeding the opposition from getting easy baskets when he has foul trouble it will be a big boost for us. Not trying to sound harsh because we need him on the floor offensively but sometimes on defense he really hurts us but when he figures defense out it will be a big boost.

Bruce said last night  that basically this entire team is made up of offensive players and they all identify themselves with the offensive side of the ball and trying to get them to play defense has been a big challenge this year.

And the other problem is that there is only one basketball and at some time in just about every game, the team reaches the point that the first guy across mid court is going to take a shot, not matter whether anyone is in position to rebound or not.  A tough group to coach...no question about that.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Bruce said that? Man tiger who else said that? Purifoy transition to paying playing guys in the post when he NEVER had to before and getting into foul trouble? Tiger I think I read somebody mentioning that multiple times before the season.....sure is alot of info that's passed on this forum that's spot on. There's alot of sites that charge people for info like that.....

The disappearance of the whole team. We're up by 23 against Ole Miss and we can't hold it. Then we give up 114 to FL. Where's all these great players that Bruce has been signing?

14 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

The disappearance of the whole team. We're up by 23 against Ole Miss and we can't hold it. Then we give up 114 to FL. Where's all these great players that Bruce has been signing?

you continue to be clueless.  We have the most talent this program has ever had at any one time probably in its entire history.  Young players make mistakes.  Nobody likes the results of those two games you mentioned, but you always look at the negative side of everything.  We gave up 114 to Florida, but we also scored 95 (the most they have given up by far all season).    We aren't going to be a final 4 team over night or even in 3-4 years.  It's going to take time. But to imply we don't have great players is just colossally stupid and basically a lie.

11 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

you continue to be clueless.  We have the most talent this program has ever had at any one time probably in its entire history.  Young players make mistakes.  Nobody likes the results of those two games you mentioned, but you always look at the negative side of everything.  We gave up 114 to Florida, but we also scored 95 (the most they have given up by far all season).    We aren't going to be a final 4 team over night or even in 3-4 years.  It's going to take time. But to imply we don't have great players is just colossally stupid and basically a lie.

Understand your frustration....but there is a difference between "mistakes"....and attitude toward the game....Just my opinion but it's not the mistakes that some of us worry about.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Understand your frustration....but there is a difference between "mistakes"....and attitude toward the game....Just my opinion but it's not the mistakes that some of us worry about.

I agree with you. Needs to be an attitude change with this young team. Perhaps another year of maturity and playing together will be the key.

AU has some very talented, although young, players. I don't think any of them are "great" yet, but time will tell.

BP looks tired and stressed. This team's highs and lows results maybe wearing on him.

Archived