OT: Both trees at Toomers to be replaced

WarTiger

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Report-Both-oak-trees-to-be-replaced-at-Toomers-Corner-again-51275371

Report: Both oak trees to be replaced at Toomer's Corner again

Both oak trees — not one — will be replaced at Toomer's Corner, according to a report

•  

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn will replace both large oak tree at Toomer’s Corner in the near future.

The news was first reported by the Opelika-Auburn News on Monday.

Southern Scape of Madison, Alabama teased the large project on its Facebook page Friday and said the company was sworn to secrecy. The general manager of Southern Scape confirmed both trees, which were first installed on Valentine’s Day 2015, will be replaced. The tree along Magnolia Avenue, which was burned by Jochen Wiest after Auburn’s victory against LSU on Sept. 24, 2016, was the second replacement at the corner in less than six months. It replaced the new tree in July 2015 and was burned a year later by Wiest.

The original oak trees were poisoned by Alabama fan Harvey Updyke in late 2010.

Southern Scape and Auburn University officials did not immediately return messages from AuburnUndercover.

If both trees are replaced, it will make for the fourth and fifth different trees at the corner since the original trees were removed in April 2013.

The question now is whether fans will be allowed to roll the oak trees with toilet paper to celebrate victories in the fall. The newly-installed oaks in February 2015 were not allowed to be rolled until the fall of 2016.

Southern Scape teased on its Facebook page last week that it would plant the trees Feb. 18.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What gives?  Is the spike 80 all in the soil?  I'd like to see the replacement trees thrive.  

I've wondered to this day what happened to the wood when the trees were removed.  Did they throw it away?  Did they burn it?  Did they make furniture from it?

30 minutes ago, PatBoCamRob said:

What gives?  Is the spike 80 all in the soil?  I'd like to see the replacement trees thrive.  

I've wondered to this day what happened to the wood when the trees were removed.  Did they throw it away?  Did they burn it?  Did they make furniture from it?

It's an article from two years ago, but assuming they are to be found, I would love to have one!  :-)                                                                             http://www.villagelivingonline.com/news/mbhs-grad's-toomer's-jewelry-to-be-sold-at-a-day-0416/

What punishment did Updike end up actually getting?  I heard banned from UAT games and something like 6 months...What a candya__ sentence.   I presume the judge was a UAT grad.  You know, throw the book at someone, make an example of them and people 'wise up' real quick.  

That's what needs to happen to Jochen Weist - max him out and let the press report it.

Need to know why BOTH are being replaced. I sure hope it's not because of ' aesthetics ',  if the College tree is getting along fine, but the Magnolia Ave one is done because of the jay-hole who torched it, and they just want both to be the same size..  

So this makes it 5 trees now ?

:angryfire:

And AU has received about how much from updyke... enough to pay for a bucket of topsoil , if that ? 

Did anyone find out the season why Jochen Wiest burned our Oaks to start with? We know why updyke poisoned our Oaks in 2010. He's a crimson ASS and he's a washed up has been.

10 hours ago, AURaptor said:

Need to know why BOTH are being replaced. I sure hope it's not because of ' aesthetics ',  if the College tree is getting along fine, but the Magnolia Ave one is done because of the jay-hole who torched it, and they just want both to be the same size..  

And AU has received about how much from updyke... enough to pay for a bucket of topsoil , if that ? 

Both are being replaced because the College tree is struggling, as evidenced by dead branches in it's crown.  Had the Magnolia tree not burned, they would have pruned the College tree and hoped that it would solidfy, but since they have to go through the trouble of replacing the Magnolia tree, thanks to aforementioned "jay-hole", they decided to replace both and hope that the new trees both do better.

And I'm not sure they could get a whole bucket of topsoil from the tiny amount of restitution that updyke has paid. If bama had any class, they would offer to provide some funding.

The good news is Weist plead guilty to all charges on Jan 5, and is expected to pay the full $20,807 to replace the tree he burned. Apparently he won't get his passport back until he does.

10 hours ago, AURaptor said:

As of 4 Jan, he was still in arrears.

“Harvey Updyke, who pleaded guilty to poisoning Auburn University's oak trees, has missed a court hearing about his restitution payment schedule.…

Walker ordered Updyke to pay $816,694.98 in restitution, but he has paid only a few thousand dollars.

A probation officer said Updyke's wife said the payment budget was given to his Louisiana probation officer but he could not immediately verify that.

A contempt hearing is set for March 1.”

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/local/alabama/2017/01/04/toomers-tree-killer-hot-water-again/96147958/

So frustrating.  Typical Bama fan and Tuscaloosa Jesus substitute Harvey Updyke has ruined a tradition that current and future students are getting prevented from partaking.  At least Jay Jacobs has hired two different football coaches that haven't allowed Bama to push us around the football field.................................................

What have they done with the half dozen adult transplants that haven't flourished in the last few years?  Are they transplanted elsewhere in hopes of survival or do they end up in the chipper?

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

What have they done with the half dozen adult transplants that haven't flourished in the last few years?  Are they transplanted elsewhere in hopes of survival or do they end up in the chipper?

They are in witness protection.

12 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

So frustrating.  Typical Bama fan and Tuscaloosa Jesus substitute Harvey Updyke has ruined a tradition that current and future students are getting prevented from partaking.  At least Jay Jacobs has hired two different football coaches that haven't allowed Bama to push us around the football field.................................................

What?  AU has had 3 HC's in the last decade and we are 3-7 vs uat.  Hell, we're 3-7 vs LSU and 2-8 vs the stinking Dawgs   :banghead:

Back to the Trees......I hope the new guys flourish!

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

What?  AU has had 3 HC's in the last decade and we are 3-7 vs uat.  Hell, we're 3-7 vs LSU and 2-8 vs the stinking Dawgs   :banghead:

Back to the Trees......I hope the new guys flourish!

When I was a student, one year after beating UGA one of their fans lit them on fire.  Fire department got there and put it out in time.  Why people can't just leave them alone?

6 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

When I was a student, one year after beating UGA one of their fans lit them on fire.  Fire department got there and put it out in time.  Why people can't just leave them alone?

Happened when I was in school, too.  I think it was a Florida fan that time... or LSU... In any case, established trees can handle the toilet paper being burnt in them. It's the trees that are still trying to establish that can't handle it.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Happened when I was in school, too.  I think it was a Florida fan that time... or LSU... In any case, established trees can handle the toilet paper being burnt in them. It's the trees that are still trying to establish that can't handle it.

We need to form the Toomer's Watch or something.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

We need to form the Toomer's Watch or something.

Just put a sniper in the Samford Hall clock tower trained to look for crimson.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just put a sniper in the Samford Hall clock tower trained to look for crimson.

HE DID NOT MEAN THAT HOMELAND SECURITY!!! THAT IS JUST A JOKE NSA!!!

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The good news is Weist plead guilty to all charges on Jan 5, and is expected to pay the full $20,807 to replace the tree he burned. Apparently he won't get his passport back until he does.

He has already paid $26K for the damages, got his passport back and is now living in Germany.  He gone. 

simple solution:  1) add some security   2) park the fire truck nearby    3) throw the book at the guilty and keep hitting them with all the costs!   4)  get some media updates on the offenders showing impact on the guilty

2 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

He has already paid $26K for the damages, got his passport back and is now living in Germany.  He gone. 

Thanks for the update.  I was looking for any news past Jan 5, online, and hadn't found anything.

Oh... and good riddance. 

6 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

That's probably already more than Harvey Updike has paid.

7 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Well, he did "donate" a goodly amount of 80DF to AU, and

according to his defense

that don't come cheap.

31 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

More than probably... that's A LOT more than updyke has forked over.  Back in September he had paid about $3,000... TOTAL

On the upside, he's due back in court for contempt on March 1, so maybe they will throw his crimson loving butt in jail.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

More than probably... that's A LOT more than updyke has forked over.  Back in September he had paid about $3,000... TOTAL

On the upside, he's due back in court for contempt on March 1, so maybe they will throw his crimson loving butt in jail.

I gather that he prefers the houndstooth look.

Nonetheless, and as averse as I generally am to nose-cutting approaches for faces, I cannot argue with your sentiment.

We'll never get anything more from this turnip.

If updike only got 6 months, then you really have to wonder 2 things. #1. The judge is a bammer and #2. how much did the bammer faithful pay the judge under the table to keep uplike from getting at least 2 to 5 years in jail.

Archived