2018 3* OT John Campbell

ellitor

SECCountry interview

Dr. Phillips offensive lineman 2.0

In 2015, Auburn received good news when a big offensive tackle from Dr. Phillips (Fla.) committed to the Tigers. Auburn hopes for déjà vu.

The initial commitment was from Calvin Ashley, who ended up bouncing around to a number of high schools in Florida and Washington, D.C. Ashley stuck with Auburn longer than anyone among the 2017 signees.

The Tigers can now turn their attention to another Dr. Phillips offensive tackle. John Campbell received an Auburn offer earlier this month. Campbell attended Auburn’s junior day upon Ashley’s suggestion.

Campbell trusts Ashley’s take on Auburn. It’s a strong start for the Tigers, though Campbell’s recruitment will likely run all the way until National Signing Day 2018.

Calvin Ashley-Auburn recruiting-Auburn football
Auburn offensive tackle Calvin Ashley (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“I know Calvin pretty well. I knew him since middle school. He transferred to my middle school Southwest. Then I played with him in high school,” Campbell said. “He told me Auburn is like home. They treat you like family. The coaches, they’re going to keep it 100 with you. They’re going to keep it straight with you. It’s a nice place to be.”

Campbell has been a popular prospect since attending Auburn’s junior day in January.

A 6-foot-5, 290-pound offensive tackle, Campbell has offers from — here we go — Duke, Iowa State, LSU, Georgia, UCLA, Syracuse, UNC, Colorado State, McNeese State, Buffalo, Texas-San Antonio, North Carolina State, Troy, Indiana, Boston College, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Florida, South Carolina, Alabama, Ohio State and Ole Miss. That’s in addition to the 9 offers he held previously, including one from Auburn.

Again, Campbell’s recruitment will be lengthy. Auburn sits in promising position so far, but Florida is considered the favorite at this time.

“If I had a list, Auburn would be near the top,” Campbell said. “It’s a great coaching staff. All the coaches are pushing me to my maximum potential.”

Ashley solidified his commitment to Auburn, in large part because of his relationship with Herb Hand.

Campbell is developing a similar relationship with Hand, the second-year offensive line coach who embarks on his first full recruiting cycle on staff. The tandem spent a good portion of junior day together, and that relationship will bring Campbell back when he takes a southeast bus tour later in the summer.

“Coach Hand, he’s a great coach,” Campbell said. “I see him as one of the best offensive line coaches in the SEC, or really in all of college football. He can put me into the NFL with great form, technique, speed, everything.”

25 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

With those kinds of offers I'm a little surprised he's only a 3*.

Was evalled by 247 a long time ago. They have not evalled him since then and the other 3 sites have not evalled him yet.

Archived