ellitor

2018 Recruiting thread (Updated 1/10/18)

34 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

This is BIG.

I'm sure there will be high grade standards involved which I'm good with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm sure there will be high grade standards involved which I'm good with.

If this comes into effect before next season, I'm sure that could affect where Jacob season goes. Also, I think if Shea Patterson starts at Michigan next year, they could be dangerous. 

I can see where this might be a total disaster. Any kid not starting is calling other schools peddling his talents. Fruit basket turnover every season. I don't like the idea at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I can see where this might be a total disaster. Any kid not starting is calling other schools peddling his talents. Fruit basket turnover every season. I don't like the idea at all.

Would undoubtedly suck for the schools, but I'm not sure that's the most important concern. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Well there is some limitations still. Schools will still have to adhere to the yearly 25 max so a number of kids won't have the options they think they will or they will have to wait to enroll at the new school til they can count in the next year's 25 limit.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Would undoubtedly suck for the schools, but I'm not sure that's the most important concern. 

Since I am a fan of a school, the idea sucks for me. Not sure how this would benefit an athlete either. There is a great deal of value in learning how to work through a difficult situation with determination, time and hard work. Setting up a system in which when the going gets tough you simply run away isn't how I raised my kids and I wouldn't want to see other young people doing this either.

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since I am a fan of a school, the idea sucks for me. Not sure how this would benefit an athlete either. There is a great deal of value in learning how to work through a difficult situation with determination, time and hard work. Setting up a system in which when the going gets tough you simply run away isn't how I raised my kids and I wouldn't want to see other young people doing this either.

The players are the only ingredient necessary for football to happen. They don't even need a football. I don't understand devaluing them in this equation.

Nor do I think that the old "just work harder" maxim always or even usually applies. There are a lot of factors outside of the players' control that might prevent them from achieving a level of success they deserve, no matter how much "hard work" they put in. Kids are screwed by coaching changes all the time, while the coaches themselves merely get a raise and face no negative repercussions whatsoever.

It's a debate that will never end. Certainly not here. But I'm all for giving the players more leverage. Rich old guys will keep getting richer off their backs no matter what happens. 

• Thanks 1