Baseball vs South Carolina - Game 3

Listening to the postgame and D-Rob giving some insight into Coach Sisson's approach to hitting: "Coach Sisson always talks, ya know, it's our at-bat until there's two strikes, then it's Auburn's at-bat."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a gritty half inning of at bats...Josh Reagan had owned the Auburn hitters in the 7th and 8th, and it looked like we had no chance to get off the deck.  One out of three against a solid top ten team without your Friday night starter would not have been bad.  First two singles came on 1-2 and 0-2 counts from Todd and Robert respectively.  South Carolina has about ten big leaguers in that bullpen right now.

30 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

What a gritty half inning of at bats...Josh Reagan had owned the Auburn hitters in the 7th and 8th, and it looked like we had no chance to get off the deck.  One out of three against a solid top ten team without your Friday night starter would not have been bad.  First two singles came on 1-2 and 0-2 counts from Todd and Robert respectively.  South Carolina has about ten big leaguers in that bullpen right now.

That guy was dominating  but when a pitcher makes a mistake , it is usually because he throws the ball over the plate. ......makes the pitch too good.   He got that pitch up in the strike zone instead of down at that ankles like most of those breaking balls were going...and it was solidly hit...unlike the first hit of the inning....good fortune to get that first runner on base and keep the game alive and nice at bat for DR.

51 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

There's our over matched coach.

Pinch hit a guy who went 0-4 on Friday night and he responded for his coach.

We've got one hell of a future in baseball.

Sometimes the coach gets lucky with a move like that and makes him look smart . Other times, like when he pulled Lipscomb and the gamecocks teed off on Mitchell who had been perfect so far this year ...well, ?  You play the odds but you never know for certain what the result will be. ?. Coaching baseball… Not an easy job. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Bunt failed...stopped about 5 feet in front of plate and catcher gets the runner at 3rd....

Normal occurrence. Good thing a pinch hitter hit a bomb and removed this from (almost) everyone's memory. That makes us, what, 50/50 on bunts this game? 50% is way, way above average! :)

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Normal occurrence. Good thing a pinch hitter hit a bomb and removed this from (almost) everyone's memory. That makes us, what, 50/50 on bunts this game? 50% is way, way above average! :)

At least nobody grounded into a double play which has been a too frequent occurrence also.   But that HR was just further evidence that the manager's most important task is to know when to make the decision to pull a pitcher.   I can see why the SC coach stayed with his pitcher but the guy had given up a couple hits and was getting the ball over the plate...which is not always a good thing.

But...what a heckofa ballgame...had me in alternating states of elation and despair the last three innings. :)

Baseball is being very , very good to me!?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

But...what a heckofa ballgame...had me in alternating states of elation and despair the last three innings. :)

That's baseball. No need remind you 64. Great to Plainsman Park happy today

31 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks a ton. I do not feel sorry for Reagan. His glove must have smelled good.

probably throwing up in it but then again, might have been saying some things he did not want the world to see. 

Wow, thanks for the play-by-play folks. AU baseball seems to be back. Are we talking about hosting a regional yet? :D

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn just damn

Hey Golf, when you went to AU in 1716 did they teach you any two syllable words in your Vocabulary Course?

11 hours ago, jared52 said:

Wow, thanks for the play-by-play folks. AU baseball seems to be back. Are we talking about hosting a regional yet? :D

Potentially.  Still have 21 SEC games to go though.  However, this weekend could be a launching point for the team in a hosting bid.  I think people are underestimating how huge it is to win a series against a Top 10 team without your ace.  Plus we saw some major moves/growth points:

- Most of the bullpen contributed this weekend.

- Anthony hit a couple of balls really hard.  We need his power.

- Todd moving to 3rd in the lineup yesterday is unorthodox, but a revelation.  He and Robert have been our most consistent hitters, so putting them in places to drive runs in makes sense.

- Mize can pitch Friday if needed (although I would like to see him back on Saturday).

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Hey Golf, when you went to AU in 1716 did they teach you any two syllable words in your Vocabulary Course?

Why do you need some help?

Just love the way this team plays the game. The excitement they show for any win is awesome. They look like they're having a ton of fun playing for each other, which is a welcome sight.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Why do you need some help?

No, but I bow to your superiority, I'm not worthy.:bow:

just curious ... anyone know KT availability on the mound for this week?  Wondering if they might give him the start against tech for 40-50 pitches, then put him back in the weekend rotation this sunday for another max 40-50 pitches.  Then use the next couple of weekends to move him to saturday then friday 3 weeks from now?  is that even a worthwhile plan assuming his arm can go against tech this week?

29 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

just curious ... anyone know KT availability on the mound for this week?  Wondering if they might give him the start against tech for 40-50 pitches, then put him back in the weekend rotation this sunday for another max 40-50 pitches.  Then use the next couple of weekends to move him to saturday then friday 3 weeks from now?  is that even a worthwhile plan assuming his arm can go against tech this week?

It was reported that Keegan could have been available this past weekend.  As for him throwing this Tuesday against Tech, I would speculate the chances are less than zero.  If the problem really is/was tendinitis, he simply needs rest.  I sincerely hope Butch is strongly considering not throwing him this weekend at aTm as well.

Seriously.

35 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Wanna point out that yet another Davis with an iconic moment in Auburn Sports History this past weekend. When he was rounding 3rd I though "THERE GOES DAVIS!"

Montgomery Advertiser was channeling you......

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburnauthority/2017/04/02/there-goes-davis-auburns-conor-davis-walk-off-hr-6-5-win/99962218/

Archived