A-Day post game thread (merged threads)

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said after Auburn's A-Day scrimmage

-- "Overall very good day."

-- Says the No. 1 defense stood out the most. 

-- "We got a chance to let everybody play."

-- Calls Daniel Carlson (five field goals) the best kicker in the country again.

-- No major injuries

-- Auburn will hold one final practice next week to end spring.

-- Jarrett Stidham "managed the offense well." Protected football. Good for him to play in front of crowd. Receivers "made some plays too." 

-- Chip Lindsey wanted a balanced offense. Says it was about 50-50 in run/pass.

-- Daniel Carlson filled in for Ian Shannon at punter. Shannon was absent due to a death in the family, but Carlson has been punting in practice.

-- Malzahn says Sean White, who did not play due to injury, has done well this spring. 

-- Kerryon Johnson had an ankle sprain. "Should be fine."

-- Nate Craig-Myers and Will Hastings "took that next step" and their performance could be a "shot in the arm" going into fall camp.

-- Defensive MVP Paul James has been challenged by Rodney Garner. Malzahn said a read-zone play stood out to him. "Good change of direction." Says James could provide "quality depth."

-- Kamryn Pettway had a very good spring, healthy. Did not play.

-- "Can't have enough depth at running back in our league." Malzahn praises the power of Malik Miller.

-- Malzahn will not name a starting quarterback until fall camp when Sean White is fully healthy and able to compete. 

-- On the vote of the 10th assistant coach: "I've got some ideas, but I'm not set on any one thing."

C86nxVAXgAAEHMS.jpg

C86n3BJW0AAlDu_.jpg

C86n-ZYWAAAsBNi.jpg

C86o3QuW0AIjDoF.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instant analysis: Jarrett Stidham leads Auburn A-Day aerial assault

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Jarrett Stidham led Auburn's offense in an aerial assault during the annual A-Day game.

Stidham threw for 267 yards, with four passes over 25 yards, for the Blue first-teamers in a 37-13 win over the White second-teamers before an announced crowd of 46,331 at Jordan-Hare Stadium

Here are five things that stood out from this year's A-Day game on the Plains.

1. Jarrett Stidham is by far the best quarterback on Auburn's roster

No matter what Gus Malzahn or Chip Lindsey say about the quarterback "competition" continuing until Sean White can be evaluated, it's clear Stidham is the most physically gifted signal caller on the roster.

Stidham was 16 of 20 for 267 yards with four passes over 25 yards during the first half, including bombs for 46 and 50 yards to Darius Slayton and Nate Craig-Myers, respectively. He also had five carries for 17 yards and a score.

White's career-long pass is 48 yards.

There's not much White can do to change the fact that he's not as powerful a thrower.

2. Stidham has confidence in Nate Craig-Myers

Craig-Myers was Stidham's favorite deep target. He had four receptions for 138 yards with 101 coming from Stidham, including a 50-yarder down the right sideline.

Craig-Myers had just four catches for 70 yards last season.

3. Daniel Carlson is punting again

The starting punter job si wide open heading into the off-season after Daniel Carlson handled the duties on A-Day.

Carlson had five punts for an average of 42.4 yards while Ian Shannon did not appear to be in attendance.

4. Malik Willis should have legitimate chance to be the backup this fall

The true freshman was 11 of 17 for 157 yards and showed some play-making ability. Willis had a 28-yard pass to Ryan Davis and 37-yarder to Craig-Myers and showed some running ability even with a quick whistle and no-contact jersey.

5. Kerryon Johnson enters the off-season with an ankle injury

Johnson had seven carries for 47 yards with a four-yard touchdown and added a 17-yard reception but suffered an ankle injury, according to SEC Network.

This is the most encouraged I've felt from an A-day game. I loved seeing Stidham be the wizard that he is and NCM make those great plays that make him seem to be the primary guy. This is not a Jeremy Johnson situation with Stidham..of course he will have some mistakes but he is THE guy finally without a doubt. I feel good about hastings making my hunter renfrow comment hold up but he still needs to work on covering up the ball especially with these heavy hitters in the sec. I hope Kerryon can stay healthy and not have to deal with the pesky ankle injuries anymore but the rb depth looks fantastic. Very impressed by the 1st team's run defense and depth also. This makes the wait for Sep. 2 even more agonizing but I'll take it. 

War Eagle!!!:wareagle:

6 minutes ago, oposssum said:

Missed most of the game, but I  loved the pass to Johnson.  

It will be on somewhere on an AU site...worth watching....some good passes...and dare I say it....not a single dropped pass by one of the WRs....and a couple difficult catches for big gains.    Passing game definitely looking up.

OOPs...yes there was one in the end zone on a wheel route to Martin....

Just saying I really liked what I saw. Has zip on his throws and can put touch on it too. I was surprised with the way NCM played catching those deep balls. Malik Willis is going to be a force in about two years he doesn't look like a freshman. Overall loved the way today looked real hopeful for this year. 

Stidham is the real deal. Location of his throws was something great. I thought NCM had a good day but other than that I did not think the WRs looked very good from where I was. Maybe I will look at the tv replay and think otherwise. I seem to be alone in that opinion. I think our D is very good but thin at DB. Our OLine looked better than I expected.

did i mention Stidham!? Holy crap the kid can play. Very exciting times.

I agree with all that has already been said. 

I also liked PJ3 and Malik Miller looked strong on a couple of runs. 

1st team OL looked good as far as I could tell. A couple of camera angles kept me from seeing if we made good plays on DL or missed blocks. 

NATE CRAIG MYERS!!!! WELCOME TO THE SHOW YOUNG MAN!!!! He balled the heck out. War Eagle!!!

And how about our own Wes Welker aka Will Hastings? I know he had that fumble but he has sure hands and runs crisp routes. 

My sources tell me Woody Barrett went ahead and transferred to a D1 school during halftime after seeing how dominant MW was today. ???

I just wish we could have seen some bubba runnin over some folks. Oh well gotta wait till September! 

• WarTiger changed the title to A-Day post game thread (merged threads)

Great day for JS. Also NCM got to show why he was so highly recruited. MW showed he can be a serious player too. My only disappointment is punting. Where is Shannon. We have not had a punter that is even SEC average in a while. Bama's punter hits them out of the county. Carlson does not need to punt. 

The punting part of this has been answered. Shannon was at a funeral. Sorry for him and his loss. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

It will be on somewhere on an AU site...worth watching....some good passes...and dare I say it....not a single dropped pass by one of the WRs....and a couple difficult catches for big gains.    Passing game definitely looking up.

OOPs...yes there was one in the end zone on a wheel route to Martin....

Not a WR , so you were still right; that's not the 1st time he has dropped a wheel route either.

3 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Not a WR , so you were still right; that's not the 1st time he has dropped a wheel route either.

Guess that's true....not an easy catch for a RB....came right over his shoulder almost down his jersey front...but as noted...the WRs were really good today and JS must have been encouraged at the possibility that some of his best passes this fall might not come in contact with stone hands.  

I liked NCM catching the ball with his hands....not bouncing off his pads and even better, he took them in stride ....whereas I think the past few seasons a good percent of our passes were to "spots" on the field where the WRs were mostly waiting on the ball to arrive and then starting their YAC from a standstill.  

Some beautiful routes .....

It seemed to me that there was a drop off between 1st string OL and 2nd.  It showed in the rushing yards for the 2s.  Confirms that we don't have depth on the OL right now.  Hope it improves.  Liked what I saw everywhere else. 

Archived