I'm giving up coaching football

corchjay

Friends and colleagues I have officially retired from coaching football this morning.  I was the offensive coordinator at the high school for football and head baseball coach.  The demands from baseball increase every year and at 45 with 3 boys (14,14, and 11) still in the house I don't have the time or energy to fully be there for my family, for my baseball players, and give the attention to the football team that is required.  With the 7v7 in the summer I had to choose football or my family and I've missed so much of one of my 14 year olds games.  He's a special talent on the baseball field and I need to be there for his travel games.   I'm also considering a move into the administration side of things because I don't want to coach my own kids.  It's not fair to them.

I plan to still continue my development as an offensive football coach and can hopefully be a bigger contributor on this board for comments and analysis.  

Best of luck to you. You only get one chance to be there for your kids you are making the right choice.

HUUUGE respect for that decision.  Job, income, success are surely important but, balance is important and, nothing should get in the way of family and what if means to be a great father.

Hey, brother Very few understand the time constraints placed on coaches and the toll it takes on family. I applaud your decision and wish you all the success in your next step. As you already know, no matter the next job title, you'll always be Coach.

Btw, does that mean your school now has an opening?;D

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Friends and colleagues I have officially retired from coaching football this morning.  I was the offensive coordinator at the high school for football and head baseball coach.  The demands from baseball increase every year and at 45 with 3 boys (14,14, and 11) still in the house I don't have the time or energy to fully be there for my family, for my baseball players, and give the attention to the football team that is required.  With the 7v7 in the summer I had to choose football or my family and I've missed so much of one of my 14 year olds games.  He's a special talent on the baseball field and I need to be there for his travel games.   I'm also considering a move into the administration side of things because I don't want to coach my own kids.  It's not fair to them.

I plan to still continue my development as an offensive football coach and can hopefully be a bigger contributor on this board for comments and analysis.  

Put your feet up,

Set a spell

Both envious and lookin' forward to it.

WDE

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hey, brother Very few understand the time constraints placed on coaches and the toll it takes on family. I applaud your decision and wish you all the success in your next step. As you already know, no matter the next job title, you'll always be Coach.

Btw, does that mean your school now has an opening?;D

I'm not sure what they are currently doing if anything does come open from it I'll surely let you know.  Not sure what the county will do based on that as far as allowing to hire someone.

Funny story, my step kids call me coach.  And where "corch" came from my first year as a head coach I had a very elderly grandfather of one of my players.  He always referred to me as "corch".  It was actually endearing.  

ALWAYS keep your family First. Appreciate your contribution here. God Bless!!

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm not sure what they are currently doing if anything does come open from it I'll surely let you know.  Not sure what the county will do based on that as far as allowing to hire someone.

Funny story, my step kids call me coach.  And where "corch" came from my first year as a head coach I had a very elderly grandfather of one of my players.  He always referred to me as "corch".  It was actually endearing.  

Some will never know you by another title.

53 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You may not be coaching on the field any longer but now you will have time to coach your boys into men and the reward for that can't be bought with money. Good luck and God bless you. 

Archived