An alt-right white student union has cropped up in Auburn

AUDub

40 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

When I joined this forum several years back, I never checked the Political Forum.  When I did check it about 2 years ago, I was appalled by the leftist tone. Decided there needed to be a few more conservative voices.?

That's because the more... adamant conservatives tend to get banned.

As for this topic, are these white supremacist groups becoming:

1) more frequent? or 2) just more open to the public about their views? or 3) merely covered more often now than in the past by media?

There has definitely been anti jew/black/native/irish in many universities for a long time, it makes me wonder which of the three reasons it is.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

"Adamant" needs scare quotes. 

Nobody has has ever been banned for being conservative here. If people are banned, it was because of rampant intellectual dishonesty (Raptor, and that was a ban 10 years in the making), lying or personal attacks or because they were jack holes and asked for it (Barnaby). 

1) more frequent? or 2) just more open to the public about their views? or 3) merely covered more often now than in the past by media?

There has definitely been anti jew/black/native/irish in many universities for a long time, it makes me wonder which of the three reasons it is.

Combination, with an emphasis on them becoming more frequent. Cracked had a good article on this the other day.

You're not a racist, right?

Good. So, I've been thinking about this a lot since the internet puked a bunch of white nationalist factoids in my face a while back. It was stuff like ...

* Black crime rates are drastically higher everywhere, even in places with no history of slavery, institutional racism, or European colonialism, such as Ethiopia and Liberia.

* Blacks score lower on average on every intelligence test ever devised, and are far more likely to show criminal or antisocial personality traits.

Only 5 percent of black people say they "often" experience discrimination, and 30 percent say they "never" experience discrimination. Among whites, those numbers are almost identical. In fact, 43 percent of blacks say that the reason they struggle is "lack of motivation to work hard" (only 30 percent of whites will say this about black people).

* In Sweden, immigrants from Africa and the Middle East have a crime rate up to 500 percent higher than native citizens. The same is true in Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, and the UK, from the limited data available to us -- those governments actively suppress even the gathering of such statistics.

* Muslims around the world overwhelmingly say that homosexuality, abortion, and even drinking alcohol are all morally unacceptable, and that women should "always" obey their husbands -- openly rejecting progressive American ideals at every turn.

* Muslims around the globe also report bitterly unfavorable opinions of Jews, say that they do not make friends with non-Muslims and overwhelmingly believe it's unacceptable for Muslims to marry outside the faith -- all of which make it impossible to assimilate into Western society.

That's a small sample of the list. The people who call themselves "race realists" can whip out volumes upon volumes of this stuff on command, complete with colorful graphs. As we recently mentioned, they often refer to such info dumps as "the Red Pill" that will wake any reader up to the reality that minorities are the proverbial murderous robots swarming around white people's coma pods. Thousands of teenagers are reading material like this at this very moment, or listening to it on YouTube, all of it packaged as "The truth THEY don't want you to know!"

Here's my question:

Can you debunk those numbers up there without Googling them?

7. A Generation Is Getting "Redpilled" As We Speak

Let's say a kid -- maybe your son -- came up to you and dumped those links at your feet because he heard his favorite YouTube celebrity JonTron quoting them (and JonTron himself appears to be parroting a Red Pill factoid dump he'd recently encountered). How do you react?

607193_v2_mobile.jpg

Besides wondering what a "JonTron" is.

For most of the people reading this, merely seeing those stats gives you a nauseous feeling. These aren't just ugly ideas; they're genocidal. They bring to mind the sound of screaming minorities dragged from homes and the smell of humans in furnaces. It's a physical, gut-level fear of an ancient defeated monster bursting up from its tomb.

So do you scold the kid, ask where he heard such awful things? Would you tell him that this "JonTron" character sounds like a racist Nazi and forbid him from ever watching again? Do you walk away confident that those labels will be sufficient to shut down those wayward thoughts, secure in your ruling that this is a Forbidden Subject?

Because I think that's wrong. Dangerously, disastrously, fatally wrong.

607194_v2_mobile.jpg

In case it isn't obvious, saying you forbid a teenager from anything tends to backfire.

That's how we've been handling it -- either smearing the sources or shutting down the discussion as forbidden unless conducted entirely in bumper sticker platitudes about equality. It worked for a while. It doesn't anymore. That's because ...

6. For The First Time In Human History, It Is Not Possible To Quarantine An Idea

... even a s***ty one. You get that nauseated feeling I mentioned above because decades of socialization trained you to have it, taught you that even discussing the subject of racial superiority or inferiority makes you a monster. You were inoculated against it, in the same way society has been inoculated against toothbrush mustaches.

For lots of today's youth, the vaccine didn't take. Their gut doesn't turn when they see those stats at the top. You already know this if you've spent even five minutes reading YouTube comments or the r/The_Donald subreddit. It has been my observation that for the average kid raised in the free information era, their guts turn only in the presence of two things:

A) Censorship

B) Hypocrisy

This is why their most important cultural voices came to the defense of JonTron and PewDiePie after their respective racism controversies. Racism is bad, they say, but censorship is worse. I realize that to readers over a certain age, those are both nonsense names. If so, you should know that among teenagers, YouTube personalities matter much, much more than TV or movie stars. The top five most famous celebrities among people age 13-18 are all YouTube hosts. PewDiePie -- the most famous one who was recently accused of making anti-Jew jokes -- has videos that got more viewers than the Seinfeld finale. The world has changed.

If everyone who saw this video formed their own country, it'd be bigger than the United Kingdom.

In my opinion, inoculating that age group -- turning the rejection of bigotry into an automatic reflex that requires no further explanation -- is no longer possible. They were raised in humanity's first era of total information transparency, in 4chan's "everything goes" culture. The more you tell them not to look into a subject, the more they want to do it. Racist sh**heads are taking advantage.

Read further at the link.

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

When I joined this forum several years back, I never checked the Political Forum.  When I did check it about 2 years ago, I was appalled by the leftist tone. Decided there needed to be a few more conservative voices.?

Agree....I've been on the sports forum for quite a while....just started opining on the Political part in recent months...thought it might be interesting since I keep up with political things pretty closely.  But here as you note....it is left....and that's fine....and several of the people are at least civil...but not all.  I'm willing to defend my views.

I was surprised how,  what I thought were "Auburn people" , could be so downright nasty and brutal to others on this site for no reason other than differences of opinion.     It happens on the sports sites from a couple people who can't accept that there might be differing opinions or experiences ...but some of the snarky stuff on this side kind of clarifies for me why the national political tone has gotten so nasty.

13 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

"Adamant" needs scare quotes. 

Nobody has has ever been banned for being conservative here. If people are banned, it was because of rampant intellectual dishonesty (Raptor, and that was a ban 10 years in the making), lying or personal attacks or because they were jack holes and asked for it (Barnaby). 

Combination, with an emphasis on them becoming more frequent. Cracked had a good article on this the other day.

I was gonna italics "adamant" lmao

That's certainly an interesting take by the Cracked writer. I haven't visited their site in quite some time, the jokes don't come like they used to, and most writers seem to be copying the style that popular Sean guy they had back in the day did... but with less talent.

I don't think this age and it's technology are causing racism, bigotry, every other negative thing. But I do think the writer was spot on about racism no longer being the taboo that it once was. It is a joke to a lot of kids today.

I also don't believe going to 4chan or to youtube comment sections is a good way to get a pulse on racism in today's world.

That's certainly an interesting take by the Cracked writer. I haven't visited their site in quite some time, the jokes don't come like they used to, and most writers seem to be copying the style that popular Sean guy they had back in the day did... but with less talent.

When you're doing list based humor, the well will eventually run dry. They're also terrible when they try to dabble in legalism. Their human experience articles are very these days good. 

Good news, though. Seanbaby is writing for them again. 

I don't think this age and it's technology are causing racism, bigotry, every other negative thing. But I do think the writer was spot on about racism no longer being the taboo that it once was. It is a joke to a lot of kids today.

Not necessarily causing it, but that pretty much goes hand in hand with the it's impossible to quarantine an idea point. Ideas that were once relegated to the cellar are easily accessible, and some folks will take them seriously upon encountering them.

It's like the writer said in the article, for a person of a certain mindset, the idea that you're superior because of your race is like a shot of heroin. 

I also don't believe going to 4chan or to youtube comment sections is a good way to get a pulse on racism in today's world.

There's a hell of a correlation with the changes in the way we consume media and the rise of the alt-right though.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Sierra Club members?  :-\

Yes....some are way to the left of myself and I'm a pretty hard charger when it comes to environmental protection.lol

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

I would say #2 and #3. When you say anti-Jew/black/Indian/Irish, are you referring to students or the faculty? In the two colleges where I have served as an adjunct, I haven't noticed this bias.

16 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Good grief.

16 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Nobody get's banned for being "conservative".   If that's the way you see it, you have completely missed the point of why people get banned. Not only that, but you are insulting conservatism by doing so.

The rest of your post is quite valid.

58 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Nobody get's banned for being "conservative".   If that's the way you see it, you have completely missed the point of why people get banned. Not only that, but you are insulting conservatism by doing so.

The rest of your post is quite valid.

I did not mean for it to be taken that way.

People aren't banned for being conservative, but you have to admit... the, uhhh more extremist of this board have tended to be conservative.

7 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I did not mean for it to be taken that way.

People aren't banned for being conservative, but you have to admit... the, uhhh more extremist of this board have tended to be conservative.

But of course I would "admit" that.  ;D

On 4/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, Bigbens42 said:

http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/index.ssf/2017/04/students_ask_auburn_university.html#incart_river_mobileshort_home_pop

Shameful, but the university's response is correct and shame is our best weapon here. This does not reflect Auburn values, and sensible folks need to let them know it. 

That's total BS IMHO. I have no use for this group but AU has joined Berkley, et. al., in choosing who can excercise free speech on the campus.

3 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's total BS IMHO. I have no use for this group but AU has joined Berkley, et. al., in choosing who can excercise free speech on the campus.

Proud, this post was made when the event was still on. I posted in support of letting him speak. Please read the ******* thing before you call anything I say BS.

21 hours ago, PUB78 said:

I for one am glad you are here and for sure agree with you.

Someone above said Raptor has been banned. Is that true. If so I think one of the lefties here should also to be fair and balanced

I would note that one of the board stalwarts and a great Auburn guy, WarTim, was banned from the Political Forum for being too outspoken in his opinions which IMO were far less pot stirring than some here.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Someone above said Raptor has been banned. Is that true. If so I think one of the lefties here should also to be fair and balanced

Raptor was banned for his rampant intellectual dishonesty. If there's a lefty equivalent, I'd be all for it.

I would note that one of the board stalwarts and a great Auburn guy, WarTim, was banned from the Political Forum for being too outspoken in his opinions which IMO were far less pot stirring than some here.

WarTim called for the outright murder of all Muslims. An Auburn man wouldn't take pleasure in the death of a billion people. **** him. 

On 4/14/2017 at 1:47 PM, icanthearyou said:

Well, I take you seriously.  Up until, you cower from the challenge of providing a basis for your opinion.  Can you express your thoughts with clarity and detail?

Icky,

I was too blunt with my reply. I do read your posts and those of the left. I do try to understand them but just can't grasp many of them. I do think most of us who comment on this forum have more in common than we think. It is the "hot button" issues that brings out the worse in all of us.

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yeah, let's bring back 1 of only 2 full time posters ever on these boards to actually make me cringe.

Let's bring back the guy who slowly lost his sanity and reverted to a weird pseudo cro-magnan board life of calling everyone gay or sissies that didn't love the Illuminati conspiracy BS he posted all the time.

On a better note, I've seen his posts in Auburn football, and he seems to be a normal guy again. This political place is just toxic to some I think.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Raptor was banned for his rampant intellectual dishonesty. If there's a lefty equivalent, I'd be all for it.

WarTim called for the outright murder of all Muslims. An Auburn man wouldn't take pleasure in the death of a billion people. **** him. 

1. Sow me where he called for the murder of ALL Muslims as opposed to those radical ones who kill lots of people including Chrietians as we see on a regular basis. Ban me then because I agree with that.

2. Intellectually dishonesty? Surely you kid. I won't call nams but there are several others her that fit that category, several i have on ignore. I suppose it's all how you want to see it or be the judge of them.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Yeah, let's bring back 1 of only 2 full time posters ever on these boards to actually make me cringe.

Let's bring back the guy who slowly lost his sanity and reverted to a weird pseudo cro-magnan board life of calling everyone gay or sissies that didn't love the Illuminati conspiracy BS he posted all the time.

On a better note, I've seen his posts in Auburn football, and he seems to be a normal guy again. This political place is just toxic to some I think.

Certainly WarTim doesn't fit that category but I agree on some.

22 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

1. Sow me where he called for the murder of ALL Muslims as opposed to those radical ones who kill lots of people including Chrietians as we see on a regular basis. Ban me then because I agree with that.

Titan dumped the original thread when everyone snapped, but it came up prior to his ban. I was following the thread and can reconstruct it from my e-mail. When asked to clarify what he meant, he doubled down. When asked to explain in the thread I'm linking here, he refused to do so. He said it, Proud. No one, not even he, denies it.

Start here:

2. Intellectually dishonesty? Surely you kid. I won't call nams but there are several others her that fit that category, several i have on ignore. I suppose it's all how you want to see it or be the judge of them.

I know you won't take my word for it. Would you consider a fellow conservative, @TitanTiger, objective? If so, ask him. 

On 4/14/2017 at 1:12 PM, PUB78 said:

-lack of personal responsibility 

-playing the victim and race card

-weakening our military 

-promoting homosexuality

-abortion on demand

-promoting transgender as normal

-promoting policies that continue people in poverty rather than a way out or up.

-open borders

Define or give an example of " promoting homosexuality "?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

Define or give an example of " promoting homosexuality "?

For one, how about the annual Gay/Lesbian march in D.C. every year? If you haven't been there and seen it you should check it out sometime.

3 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Titan dumped the original thread when everyone snapped, but it came up prior to his ban. I was following the thread and can reconstruct it from my e-mail. When asked to clarify what he meant, he doubled down. When asked to explain in the thread I'm linking here, he refused to do so. He said it, Proud. No one, not even he, denies it.

Start here:

I know you won't take my word for it. Would you consider a fellow conservative, @TitanTiger, objective? If so, ask him. 

Obviously Titan had his reason. He is the forum sheriff. We don't always agree and toleration of free speech in this forum is not tolerated sometime. It comes down to a matter of judgement, sometimes over trivial issues.

7 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Obviously Titan had his reason. He is the forum sheriff. We don't always agree and toleration of free speech in this forum is not tolerated sometime. It comes down to a matter of judgement, sometimes over trivial issues.

Ben's recollection on Tim and this issue is correct.

Archived