Auburn's All Time Passing Game

Guest WarEagleSteve

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

and yet the team was winless (?)

USC only lost to Texas that season as it says on the linked page.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ellitor said:

He's talking about 2015 where he did versus UK, Arky, & another sister of the poor pass D.

So, 3 times ? And 1 of those games was 4 OTs..several is a stretch 

Just now, ellitor said:

Not to the NCAA 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Several is 3 at least so that part is accurate & not a stretch. But the big thing as I said before was it was versus piss poor pas Ds.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Several is 3 at least so that part is accurate & not a stretch. But the big thing as I said before was it was versus piss poor pas Ds.

Okay I think you get the gist of it without being super literal. My point is , to think anyone on our roster can just matter of factly average 250 yards a game is not based on evidence at the moment . 2 or 3 times. Alright . A whole season? We have to see it first .

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Okay I think you get the gist of it without being super literal. My point is , to think anyone on our roster can just matter of factly average 250 yards a game is not based on evidence at the moment . 2 or 3 times. Alright . A whole season? We have to see it first .

It's certainly not a given scenario, and could be a stretch.  That being said, if we get a chance to see it, I think we might all be pleasantly surprised at the increase Sean could see in his numbers just playing in a system that is more friendly to his strengths. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sean put up a 350+ yard game against weak pass defenses with a game plan that uses the pass for more than getting out of third and long. 

37 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It's certainly not a given scenario, and could be a stretch.  That being said, if we get a chance to see it, I think we might all be pleasantly surprised at the increase Sean could see in his numbers just playing in a system that is more friendly to his strengths. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Sean put up a 350+ yard game against weak pass defenses with a game plan that uses the pass for more than getting out of third and long. 

I agree . I bet him and JS could both do that with the CCL at the helm against a few weak defenses. However, I won't say they both can average 250 yds/game until I see it for myself . They definitely have the talent to do so. The key is both need to prove they can stay healthy .

Just now, DAG said:

I agree . I bet him and JS could both do that with the CCL at the helm against a few weak defenses. However, I won't say they both can average 250 yds/game until I see it for myself . They definitely have the talent to do so. The key is both need to prove they can stay healthy .

After watching him on A-Day, I give Stidham 400+ against a poor pass D.  His long ball is too pretty to be denied. I honestly expect to see Woody against every cupcake we play this year.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

After watching him on A-Day, I give Stidham 400+ against a poor pass D.  His long ball is too pretty to be denied. I honestly expect to see Woody against every cupcake we play this year.

I agree JS long ball was nice, but the thing that impressed me is the speed and accuracy at the short distances.  I think this is where things will be different.  It has killed me for the last few years how teams have thrown those 4-6 yard outs against us and our DBs are all over them yet the QB fits the ball in the tightest of windows.  Yet every time we throw one, I keep hoping the DB doesn't jump the route and take it to the house.  JS threw 3-4 passes into tight coverage where only the WR could catch it and it was there in an instant.  No way the DB had time to jump it.  I am pulling for SW (mainly because I like pulling for the underdog) but I just haven't seen that kind of speed & accuracy from him even when he was healthy.  With that being said, SW has not been asked to make a lot of these throws, so maybe that will change this year.  

Bottom line, I hope whomever gets the nod can make these throws consistently.

2 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I agree JS long ball was nice, but the thing that impressed me is the speed and accuracy at the short distances.  I think this is where things will be different.  It has killed me for the last few years how teams have thrown those 4-6 yard outs against us and our DBs are all over them yet the QB fits the ball in the tightest of windows.  Yet every time we throw one, I keep hoping the DB doesn't jump the route and take it to the house.  JS threw 3-4 passes into tight coverage where only the WR could catch it and it was there in an instant.  No way the DB had time to jump it.  I am pulling for SW (mainly because I like pulling for the underdog) but I just haven't seen that kind of speed & accuracy from him even when he was healthy.  With that being said, SW has not been asked to make a lot of these throws, so maybe that will change this year.  

Bottom line, I hope whomever gets the nod can make these throws consistently.

I would be shocked to see Sean pass Stidham, at this point, but if/when he gets a chance, I think he's going to appear to be a better QB than he did last year just because of the game plan.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I believe you are correct sir.

But I believe that all of their wins were subsequently vacated,

ETA - Awww shoot

Note to self, read the thread before responding too soon.

Sorry.

28 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would be shocked to see Sean pass Stidham, at this point, but if/when he gets a chance, I think he's going to appear to be a better QB than he did last year just because of the game plan.

completely agree.

The stated plan of throwing 40% of the time easily becomes 30% this season if our backs produce as expected and passing on 30% of the plays probably doesn't even break many Auburn records. Now if Stidham/White stick around for these receivers to develop - 2018 is another story.

From 2000-2016:

Here are the number of times the following teams currently in the SEC finished in the nation's top-25 of pass-efficiency:

Georgia ...... 10

Florida ........ 7

Auburn ........ 6

LSU ............ 6

Alabama ..... 4

Arkansas .... 4

Ole Miss ...... 4

USC ............ 4

TAMU ......... 4

Tennessee ... 3

Kentucky ...... 2

Miss State .... 2

Missouri ....... 2

Vanderbilt .... 0

4 hours ago, DAG said:

We ran every play in all those ots. Lol. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I know right . That game pissed me the hell off . 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

?? Not sure whether you are serious. Pretty sure we threw some passes during the OT's.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

?? Not sure whether you are serious. Pretty sure we threw some passes during the OT's.

I was assuming he was being sarcastic. I hope for his sake he isn't that obtuse. I know for a fact SW converted a 2 point conversion. So, again, I hope for his sake he isn't that much of an idiot.

11 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

We tried. Dropped them. After barber got hurt. 

Lots of the passing stats depend on the coaching philosophy... Jason Campbell ...gonna round off the numbers but anyway, in 2004 threw about 20 passes per game and completed about 70% and averaged about 200 yards per game.   Just thinking that if Tubs was a more passing oriented coach, it would not have been a stretch for Campbell to have averaged closer to 275 yards per game.  

In all the years I've followed AU football, we have rarely had a coach who made the passing game his strong point....especially after we adopted the moniker of "running back u".

So...just wondering if Lindsey will have enough sway to convince Gus to give him a freer hand to pass the ball...first downs for example.  I'm thinking that either a healthy SW or JS can average 250 through our season....if allowed to.

Discounting yards or points against a weak defense is like telling an opposition batter that his hits against the AU bullpen will not count in his official statistics.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Lots of the passing stats depend on the coaching philosophy... Jason Campbell ...gonna round off the numbers but anyway, in 2004 threw about 20 passes per game and completed about 70% and averaged about 200 yards per game.   Just thinking that if Tubs was a more passing oriented coach, it would not have been a stretch for Campbell to have averaged closer to 275 yards per game.  

In all the years I've followed AU football, we have rarely had a coach who made the passing game his strong point....especially after we adopted the moniker of "running back u".

So...just wondering if Lindsey will have enough sway to convince Gus to give him a freer hand to pass the ball...first downs for example.  I'm thinking that either a healthy SW or JS can average 250 through our season....if allowed to.

Discounting yards or points against a weak defense is like telling an opposition batter that his hits against the AU bullpen will not count in his official statistics.

Nobody is discounting yards or points from a weak defense . Those games were included in our discussion . The reality is you have to put up yards against the Good defenses too or else this is a pointless discussion.

10 hours ago, alexava said:

We tried. Dropped them. After barber got hurt. 

Read a quick recap of the game. It may not list every play but it showed 1st OT- no passes, 2nd OT- 2 completions, 3rd OT- no passes- 4th OT- 3 attempts

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Read a quick recap of the game. It may not list every play but it showed 1st OT- no passes, 2nd OT- 2 completions, 3rd OT- no passes- 4th OT- 3 attempts

I remembered a coworker complaining about play calling. That is how I remembered we didn't throw much. He complained that we ran it the first 3 ots then come out in 4rth throwing. I don't think barber actually went down with an obvious injury but he didn't play the next week. 

On 4/18/2017 at 11:21 AM, Win4AU said:

Would be nice to see 2 1000 yard rushers

1000 yard WR

3000 yard Qb

Top 10 scoring defense

All possible this season whether it's Stidham or Sean

Remove White from that statement and we are in the playoffs. I love Whites guts and determination but the arm isn't there.  I look at Sean I see Gabe Gross sheer will only gets you so far.

Archived