Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

24 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This is what saves Bama from not having to hit a homerun with QBs who may not have panned out. It's pretty much a guarantee they'll have a top 5 defense each year. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury each year. They just need a QB who's not going to turn the ball over and make smart decisions. But i certainly agree that many schools don't hit the mark when it comes to QB evaluation. There's missing the mark which many do but then there is completely missing the mark. If we had seen a small amount of improvement from some of the QBs Gus/Rhett have brought in, then i wouldn't have an issue but it seems like they've regressed significantly under their coaching. 

It's always a really good idea to surround your QB with a great supporting cast.  Not all coaches have the luxury of loading up every position with 4-5* talent, with more 5*'s warming the bench, waiting in the wings for their shot to show out on the field.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Simple.  Excuses are things that don't line up with his own opinions.  Reasons are things that do.

:laugh::laugh:

I mean, it's widely accepted by anyone with eyeballs that SW got hurt and when they tried to put him back in he was OBVIOUSLY still injured so I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about.

Just now, keesler said:

It's always a really good idea to surround your QB with a great supporting cast.  Not all coaches have the luxury of loading up every position with 4-5* talent, with more 5*'s warming the bench, waiting in the wings for their shot to show out on the field.

And I think we are getting there ourselves.  Our defense gave us a chance to win several ball games that would have been blowouts the way our offense was playing once Sean got hurt.  If they continue to make strides, we will begin to reap some of the benefit of having a defense keep you in a game when you need it most.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

JF3 could throw the ball better than Barrett. If that tells you anything. 

Sheesh...that's very telling...

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

Agree. I think we can get to that level but just pointing out why Bama can afford to lose as many highly rated QBs as they have to transfer. 

24 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

No. We played a whole Sean White last year. And the year before. STOP making excuses for him.

For someone who seems to have a dislike for Sean White or more specifically anyone who defends him, you sure do talk about him a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I mean, it's widely accepted by anyone with eyeballs that SW got hurt and when they tried to put him back in he was OBVIOUSLY still injured so I'm trying to figure out what he's talking about.

Don't bother. Trolls just want to eat. 

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

And I think we are getting there ourselves.  Our defense gave us a chance to win several ball games that would have been blowouts the way our offense was playing once Sean got hurt.  If they continue to make strides, we will begin to reap some of the benefit of having a defense keep you in a game when you need it most.

Agree. Really, we were almost there last year. Just didn't have a backup QB and all our RBs kept getting injured. Like, ALL of them, except Truitt.

This year we're trading JJ and JFIII for Stidham and Willis, and we're adding Barrett and Williams into the mix at RB as well as getting Miller back. Losing Truitt sucks, but overall we're in better shape by a matter of miles. And, hopefully, we'll start the season with the same guy at center who will finish the season there. 

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

He waited longer than I expected him to

Didn't spring semester just end?

Also, if Stidham leaves after one year than we probably won the National Championship. 

Writing was on the wall since A Day.  Good luck to WB.  I hope he finds the success he is looking for.

Thoughts on if this mean MW will not red-shirt this year?

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

Writing was on the wall since A Day.  Good luck to WB.  I hope he finds the success he is looking for.

Yeah, A-Day was a public manifestation of what everyone in the program already knew from the previous 18 months he was here.

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Also, if Stidham leaves after one year than we probably won the National Championship. 

Champagne problems. I want to have them. 

I'm not even close to establishing a probability for that in my head. All I can say is that right now it's really low. 

2 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

No effect. It all depends on injuries to Stidham and/or White. If there aren't any, the RS stays on. That's the word, anyway. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

No effect. It all depends on injuries to Stidham and/or White. If there aren't any, the RS stays on. That's the word, anyway. 

So for the depth chart is the walkon going to be #3 for now?

Nice article on this subject:  link

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn football opened spring practices with six scholarship quarterbacks. A little more than two months later, the Tigers are down to three, with the transfer of freshman Woody Barrett becoming the latest domino to fall.

Barrett announced his decision to transfer Monday morning after a slide down the depth chart during spring camp. With his departure, Auburn has redshirt sophomore transfer Jarrett Stidham, junior Sean White and true freshman Malik Willis at quarterback for 2017.

Barrett’s decision to transfer won’t affect Auburn much in 2017. The former 4-star quarterback didn’t appear to be in Auburn’s plans after he didn’t get a single snap in the second half of the Tigers’ spring game in April.

MORE: Jim Donnan calls Jarrett Stidham one of the most significant signees

Auburn finished the scrimmage — which was headlined by Stidham’s star performance — with Willis and walk-on Devin Adams getting reps. Willis capped his own breakout spring with a great game inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Even with Barrett’s departure, the Tigers look set at quarterback for the 2017 season.

Stidham is the projected starter, and the experienced White is one of the best possible options for a backup. Willis could play in 2017, but a redshirt season is likely unless injuries force him up the depth chart. Senior John Franklin III could also move back to quarterback in an emergency.

2017 Jarrett Stidham (So.) Sean White (Jr.) Malik Willis (Fr.)

The questions will come in 2018 and beyond, though.

As a redshirt sophomore, Stidham could leave Auburn for the NFL following the 2017 season. While some fans may think that’s a long shot, he already has first-round projections in early 2018 NFL Draft mocks.

Auburn most likely will lose at least one quarterback ahead of the 2018 season. If Stidham doesn’t go pro early, White is a candidate to transfer. He would be eligible to play immediately as a grad transfer and get a shot to finish his career as a starter somewhere.

If Stidham left for the NFL early, White could stay and try to regain the starting quarterback job over Willis and the Tigers’ Class of 2018 quarterbacks.

Right now, Joey Gatewood is the only commitment, but SEC Country’s Ben Wolk wrote last week the Tigers want two in this class. The departure of Barrett makes that additional depth a must.

2018 Jarrett Stidham (Jr.) Malik Willis (So./RFr.) Joey Gatewood (Fr.) Class of 2018 QB (Fr.)
  Sean White (Sr.) Malik Willis (So./RFr.) Joey Gatewood (Fr.) Class of 2018 QB (Fr.)
  Jarrett Stidham (Jr.) Sean White (Sr.) Malik Willis (So./RFr.) Gatewood/2018 (Fr.)

No matter what happens with White in 2018, he’ll be out of eligibility in 2019. Stidham would have to stay for his senior season in order for the Tigers to have a returning starter at the position. By 2019, it could be Willis’ time.

The Tigers already are pushing hard for a Class of 2019 quarterback — Bo Nix, the son of former Tiger quarterback Patrick Nix. Also, keep an eye on Taulia Tagovailoa, the younger brother of current Alabama true freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. The Tigers have made contact with him.

2019 Jarrett Stidham (Sr.) Malik Willis (Jr./So.) Gatewood/2018 (So./Fr.) Class of 2019 QB (Fr.)
  Malik Willis (Jr./So.) Joey Gatewood (So./ Fr.) Class of 2018 QB (So./Fr.) Class of 2019 QB (Fr.)

By 2020, Willis would be eligible for early entry into the NFL Draft. That scenario means the Tigers would have to rely on quarterbacks who haven’t signed with the program at this point in time.

2020 Malik Willis (Sr./Jr.) Joey Gatewood (Jr./So.) Class of 2018 QB (Jr./So.) 2019/2020 QBs
  Joey Gatewood (Jr./So.) Class of 2018 QB (Jr./So.) Class of 2019 QB (So./Fr.) 2020 QB (Fr.)

Barrett’s transfer ensured Auburn’s need for a second quarterback in the class of 2018. If the Tigers only land Gatewood, they could be down to just two young scholarship quarterbacks as early as 2019. Auburn could fill short-term holes in the depth chart by hitting the transfer market again.

However, Gus Malzahn hired offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey to help Auburn’s problems with quarterback development under his tenure. White has been the only successful starting quarterback Auburn recruited out of high school, and his injury woes showed a lack of development behind him in 2016. Expect the Tigers to stick to developing their own high school signees as much as possible.

No matter which scenarios play out with Stidham, White, Willis or any 2018 signees, one thing is certain — the news of Barrett’s transfer puts even more pressure on Lindsey to deliver in recruiting and development.

The most important position on the field for Auburn has a lot of promise and potential problems moving forward.

It is my observations that over the recent years that almost no major college  team has more than 2 quality QBs at any given time.  These guys come to play and if they don't start after a year or so,  the odds of ever playing are pretty small...which means the kid is mostly sitting around waiting on the starter to get hurt or something like that. 

Just look at the guys at west Vance and see how many top rated QBs have passed through their program in the last 5 years or what has happened at UF or UGa....needing to bring in a transfer QB at the last minute.

Woody made the right decision IMO....and as for the evaluation....I'm of the view that every HS QB that anyone signs is basically a roll of the dice.

Meanwhile a good percent of this board is all amped up about Joey G ....a guy who  has not even played QB well enough to earn the starting job at his HS yet..but some here have penciled him in as a starter 2 years from now...or three at the most.  

Hope Woody finds a good home...but betting it will not be at a Power 5 school...hate to say it but he has already failed that test....but like Queen...there are plenty of schools where he can probably start and enjoy playing football for three more years.

Good find, @lkeel75. I keep forgetting that JFIII can always slide back over. I can't imagine him being a championship quarterback, but if we just need a warm body against La Monroe or something...

Just now, AU64 said:

It is my observations that over the recent years that almost no major college  team has more than 2 quality QBs at any given time.

Ohio State says h....

Just kidding. I had to so that someone else wouldn't. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Ohio State says h....

Understand...but then again, as we have noticed ..quite a few teams without even one quality QB...much less 2.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Understand...but then again, as we have noticed ..quite a few teams without even one quality QB...much less 2.

Oh, I was being completely sarcastic. I like to mock those who mistake the exceptions to the rules for the rules themselves, especially when they use that snarky syntax/cliche to do it.

I agree with you. Having Stidham, if he's as good as advertised, and Sean as our 1-2 puts us in far better shape than the vast majority of teams. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ohio State says h....

I've been waiting for people to throw that unicorn out there too.  One team in a generation somehow hits on three top flight QBs and the inexperienced backups show little to no dropoff after injuries knock out the guy ahead of them, and this is somehow supposed to be the norm.  Most schools are in deep s*** if the starter goes down.  99.5% of them are if they lose the 1st and 2nd stringer.  OSU was a total aberration, not the norm.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It is my observations that over the recent years that almost no major college  team has more than 2 quality QBs at any given time.  These guys come to play and if they don't start after a year or so,  the odds of ever playing are pretty small...which means the kid is mostly sitting around waiting on the starter to get hurt or something like that. 

Just look at the guys at west Vance and see how many top rated QBs have passed through their program in the last 5 years or what has happened at UF or UGa....needing to bring in a transfer QB at the last minute.

Woody made the right decision IMO....and as for the evaluation....I'm of the view that every HS QB that anyone signs is basically a roll of the dice.

Meanwhile a good percent of this board is all amped up about Joey G ....a guy who  has not even played QB well enough to earn the starting job at his HS yet..but some here have penciled him in as a starter 2 years from now...or three at the most.  

Hope Woody finds a good home...but betting it will not be at a Power 5 school...hate to say it but he has already failed that test....but like Queen...there are plenty of schools where he can probably start and enjoy playing football for three more years.

this is the part that makes me scratch my head a bit.  His film shows that he is a football player, but the limited reps at qb and reading defenses has my excitement on hold until I see that happen.  Which it may very well happen, it is by far a given that it is going to.

3 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Was Barrett another poor eval by Gus and Rhett?

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes. 

Maybe but Woody has also messed himself up in the focus & effort department. When AU took his commitment he was on pace to graduate early & putting effort in to things. As it turns out though he ended up having to go to Summer school to get to AU last Fall so his effort & focus went way down & appears to have mostly stayed that way.

Archived