Woody Barrett Transferring

Auhud08

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

But the three deep is significantly better.  I don't really see how you can even compare the two.

Sean was a gritty but physically limited starter.

JJ was a 2nd stringer with significant game experience, most of it terrible.

JF3 was a superb athlete who showed flashes of potential but I never heard he was "catching on quickly."

I'm just saying.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

I'm just saying.

You're just saying...nothing.  You're making a lazy comparison.  About the only thing last year's depth chart and this year's have is that one of them is still Sean White and the number "3."

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

WB was the #6 rated DT QB in the 2016 class according to 247, just 3 spots behind Jalen Hurts - I think maybe everyone poorly evaluated him.

recruiting sites rate athletic talent, there is next to no effort put into finding desire and football IQ of recruits.

Just now, auburnphan said:

recruiting sites rate athletic talent, there is next to no effort put into finding desire and football IQ of recruits.

JF3 could throw the ball better than Barrett. If that tells you anything. 

Writing was on the wall for Woody. Especially with a true freshman just walking on campus and looking good. Who knows what Willis will be but to surpass Woody with that small amount of time didn't look good for Woody. He's athletic but he needs to improve his passing. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How is that possible?  WDE, do you have any knowledge of how Gus actually evaluates a QB?

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

i think some of the contestants in the dr pepper bowl game contests could as well!

15 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Was Barrett another poor eval by Gus and Rhett?

He was #6 Dual Threat QB and a lot of other teams wanted him also. You can say Rhett didn't develop him but Chip Took a rookie Malik and made him look good and even the walk-on looked good in his time during A-Day. Apparently a case of being a great athlete but not a great QB or he didn't put in the work.  Sorry to see him go but we have 3 Scholly QB's and a decent walk-on with 1-2 more coming in the next class. I think we will be alright.

How is that possible?  WDE, do you have any knowledge of how Gus actually evaluates a QB?

IMO, I'm of the belief that Gus has a very very over inflated opinion on his coaching abilities. He was blessed, and he did recruit these kids, to have Cam and Marshall play for him. Both were ballers. Now he thinks he can do this with any "athlete". Well he can't. 

14 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Not to start a huge argument but the team was three deep last year. Jeremy Johnson had significant game experience. JF3 who was catching on quickly and Sean as the starter.  Turned out to be a paper tiger.

JF3 was never catching on.

Just now, bigbird said:

JF3 was never catching on.

May be true but Gus stated more than once that he was practicing at a high level.

3 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He was #7 Dual Threat QB and a lot of other teams wanted him also. You can say Rhett didn't develop him but Chip Took a rookie Malik and made him look good and even the walk-on looked good in his time during A-Day. Apparently a case of being a great athlete but not a great QB or he didn't put in the work.  Sorry to see him go but we have 3 Scholly QB's and a decent walk-on with 1-2 more coming in the next class. I think we will be alright.

FWIW so take this as you will, but Chip has now idea why Gus signed Woody. Said the kid would never see the field as a QB at AU. Looks like Chip was right. Not trying to bash the kid, just is what it is. This was after Chip's first week on the job. 

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

WB was the #6 rated DT QB in the 2016 class according to 247, just 3 spots behind Jalen Hurts - I think maybe everyone poorly evaluated him.

Yup. John Franklin was an abject recruiting failure on Gus's part. Barrett was not. 

I just can't get upset about this, regardless of any depth scenarios. He and Auburn football were not meant to be. We played Jeremy Johnson, John Franklin and half a Sean White over Barrett last year. This year, it took a true freshman about 5 minutes to pass him on the depth chart. No matter how good he may or may not end up being, he wasn't going to contribute at Auburn. 

5 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

While some of it's on Gus, some of it is also on Woody for not putting in the necessary work to improve.  Say what you will about JF3 not being a QB, but the kid did what he could to get better and improve his mechanics.  It's just not the most natural position for him to succeed in and wasn't going to be no matter who coached him up.  Woody has the tools, but not the dedication and attitude.

Just now, ToomersStreet said:

May be true but Gus stated more than once that he was practicing at a high level.

Gus isn't the best at admitting failure, or at offering accurate information on his players' statuses. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Gus isn't the best at admitting failure, or at offering accurate information on his players' statuses. 

Really?

Practicing at a high level doesn't mean you're catching on.  It means a coach is seeing someone give their best effort, listening to instruction and doing his best to put it into action on the practice field.  Seeing results from that hard work is a whole other ball game.  College football rosters are riddled with max effort guys who nonetheless never manage to turn that effort into actually becoming a high level player.

47 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Pretty sure we all saw this one coming, good luck to him 

Including the coaches... I wasn't buying that they decided to bring in 2 QBs this year because of Queen leaving.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Including the coaches... I wasn't buying that they decided to bring in 2 QBs this year because of Queen leaving.

Even if we had more than 3 QB depth chart, it seems like a good policy to take 2 QBs every year, regardless of depth at the position. If there is ever one position you can't have too many players at, I would say it would be QB. Just look at Alabama last year - they had a plethora of great QBs, but then 2 five stars transferred elsewhere and now they don't have near the depth they used to.

Huge miss despite what he was ranked.  AU pays Gus a bunch of money to recruit the best QBs to AU.  He should be able to identify the best ones better than recruiting sites.  We don't pay him to work his way down the 247 list of 5 stars...anybody can do that.

40 minutes ago, Timbeaux38 said:

So did he.

He really did though. Saw a few of his snapchats from during the season and let's just say he certainly felt he should've been playing last year considering the QB debacle we had. It was subliminal in delivery but clear that he wanted to be playing very soon or he'd be weighing his options. Very athletic but i think he really needs to get with a QB coach to help his game. 

12 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

maybe he was referring to a different definition of the word "high".....:dunno:

Just now, thaitopher said:

Even if we had more than 3 QB depth chart, it seems like a good policy to take 2 QBs every year, regardless of depth at the position. If there is ever one position you can't have too many players at, I would say it would be QB. Just look at Alabama last year - they had a plethora of great QBs, but then 2 five stars transferred elsewhere and now they don't have near the depth they used to.

Agreed, but I see us going for one top QB and one "with potential" each year (Like Malik).  We're swinging for the fences for both this cycle. The coaches are shooting for a 5-star and an ESPN top 100 (already committed).

2 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

It's hard to sign that many highly rated QBs every year because they all want to start sooner rather than later.  And if you do, you end up like Alabama - talented guys don't want to sit on the bench behind an entrenched starter and they transfer out.  

Signing one good QB a year is a more realistic goal, two on occasion.

Archived