Big Cat Visitor List & Thread (June 3rd)

ellitor

E, I was of the understanding that Shedrick Jackson was somewhat of a fall back plan. Has that changed or did I have the wrong presumption?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a homer...now that I said that, is it my impression that across the board HS players are committing slower than usual?  If so, I attribute that to playing the social media game and enjoying it.   Kinda like a fisherman playing a fish a little longer than needed.  

Maybe this is a trend? 

45 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

E, I was of the understanding that Shedrick Jackson was somewhat of a fall back plan. Has that changed or did I have the wrong presumption?

That was my guess & WDE's thoughts. Keith said for a while AU was very high on him. I assume that means he has been a take for a bit. If JLee is right in that we are in fact taking a big WR class of 4-5 then I don't mind taking him. Plus he is still growing per Keith.

23 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am a homer...now that I said that, is it my impression that across the board HS players are committing slower than usual?  If so, I attribute that to playing the social media game and enjoying it.   Kinda like a fisherman playing a fish a little longer than needed.  

Maybe this is a trend? 

I think it's all the new recruiting rules & calendar changes that just took place. I think some schools & recruits are being more cautious because of it.

Travis Williams needs a serious bump in pay. This guy is keeping AU in the mix for a TON of quality players and LB play is the best we've seen in years. I only wish there was another one of him to go around.

KD is in Justyn Ross' ear as shown by them retweeting and talking on Twitter. Seems like he's interested despite what the pic in the locker room looked like.

3 hours ago, CR said:

Travis Williams needs a serious bump in pay. This guy is keeping AU in the mix for a TON of quality players and LB play is the best we've seen in years. I only wish there was another one of him to go around.

Dude's personality is so infectious...I would run through 5 brick walls back to back for him...well not really but ya know what I mean.

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

KD is in Justyn Ross' ear as shown by them retweeting and talking on Twitter. Seems like he's interested despite what the pic in the locker room looked like.

So are most of our commits... If Ross doesn't sign, he's going to have say "no" to A LOT of guys who are investing a lot of time in him. As for the picture... I've seen more than one.  He seemed to be going for the serious look in his pictures. Everything I've read that he said was positive.

Auburn main reason Rivals250 LB not committed to Ohio State

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

C4caljzbxphxqlewwdre

Jeffrey Lee/AuburnSports.com

AUBURN | Tucker (Ga.) linebacker Michael Harris already would be committed to Ohio State if not for one thing.

“Auburn,” Harris said. “Auburn is tugging on me.”

Auburn invested more time in Harris Saturday when the four-star linebacker, his mother and family friend visited for Big Cat.

“Auburn shows me the same love every time I visit, every time I talk to them,” Harris said.

That includes linebackers coach Travis Williams, who Harris has developed a strong bond.

“I’m always talking to Coach Williams,” Harris said. “Every time I hit him up, he always answers. We are always texting each other. He’s a great guy. He shows a lot of energy and I like that.”

So does Harris’ mother.

If it were up to her, Harris would be wearing orange and blue in college.

“My mom loves it; she’s in love with Auburn,” Harris said. “(Auburn) is where she wants me to go.”

Harris very well could sign with Auburn. He has the Tigers in his No. 2 spot behind Ohio State. Harris plans to visit Ohio State on June 17.

“I’m looking at the love, how people treat me, how they act and how the coaches act,” Harris said.

Harris has no complaints with the attention and love Auburn has shown and continues to show.

“I’ve been to Auburn more, and every time I come it seems like it’s more and more love,” Harris said. “I feel like Auburn puts more time into me than Ohio State.”

Will Auburn’s efforts pay off? Harris could make a commitment before the end of the summer, and if so, a big factor in his decision could be the upcoming visit to Ohio State.

“I’m waiting to go up there and see what it’s like, how they treat me,” Harris said. “If I commit this summer, it would be to Ohio State or Auburn.”

Rivals ranks Harris, who stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 210 pounds, the No. 9 inside linebacker in the 2018 class and No. 215 in the Rivals250.

Big Cat 'boosts' Auburn for 4-star WR

Bm2jmodi3xxwnsgkx39m

AUBURN | Four-star wide receiver Kearis Jackson’s visit to Auburn Saturday was different, but it was supposed to be.

Jackson was one of 33 highly-ranked recruits on campus for the Tigers’ Big Cat event.

“I enjoyed everything, talking to the coaches and being around some of the top guys in the country,” Jackson said. “It was a blessing to be here.”

Jackson and the other recruits participated in pie-eating and watermelon-eating contests, karaoke and a scavenger hunt.

“This visit really was different. It was more outside of football, enjoying everything and having fun,” Jackson said. “The scavenger hunt was my favorite, just riding around campus with the coaches on the golf cart, just having fun."

Jackson, from Peach County, Ga., spent the majority of the visit with Auburn receivers coach Kodi Burns. The two have developed a strong bond during the recruiting process.

“He’s like a big brother,” Jackson said. “I talk to him almost every day. We played pool and did a lot of things together. It’s fun talking to him. He’s a young guy and motivated about his job. He explained how important I am to Auburn, how I could come in and play a big role and help win another championship.”

Jackson also spoke with Auburn sophomore quarterback Jarrett Stidham, who enrolled at Auburn in January. Stidham played as a freshman at Baylor where he built a reputation as a future star.

“(Stidham) said he heard a lot about me and that he can’t wait to throw me some balls,” Jackson said. “I heard he’s a great quarterback and is supposed to be the real deal.”

Jackson entered the visit with Auburn as one of his top schools, along with Georgia and Ohio State. The Tigers did nothing but help themselves throughout the day.

“It boosts them up,” Jackson said. “Auburn was already high on my list, but they went up a little bit more.”

Jackson is close friends with fellow four-star recruit Trey Hill, who is ranked the No. 2 offensive guard. Hill also attended Big Cat on Saturday and the two could end up playing together in college.

“We are very close,” Jackson said. “We plan on going to the same school.”

Jackson is on pace to graduate high school in December and enroll in college in January. He’ll decide which school he’ll attend sooner than later.

“After I take all my visits this summer,” Jackson said. “Either during the season or right before.”

Jackson plans to visit Ohio State “sometime in July” and also may visit Alabama June 17.

Rivals ranks Jackson, who stands six feet tall and weighs 190 pounds, the No. 33 wide receiver in the 2018 class and No. 159 in the Rivals250.

Top WR target starts to separate top 5

AUBURN, Ala. — Matthew Hill didn’t commit at Big Cat Weekend, but as he left, he made it clear to Auburn coaches who holds the advantage with his recruitment.

“I just told the coaches that Auburn is basically the leader because I grew up an Auburn fan. So that’s by default,” Hill said. “Of course I’m going to love Auburn because it’s like home.”

The 4-star wide receiver released a list of his all-SEC top 5 on May 25. It included Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida and South Carolina, and he added the disclaimer that there was no order. It appears his Auburn background, at least his immediate reaction post-weekend, will play a stronger role in his ultimate decision.

So how deep does that fandom run?

It all started in middle school when he attended his first Auburn football game against Kentucky. Some family connections to the program have eased him even further toward the Plains.

Auburn recruiting-Matthew Hill
Auburn WR target Matthew Hill has a lot of reasons to like the Tigers. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“My god-grandfather is an alum from here. He ran cross-country, so he’s always been pushing me toward Auburn. My auntie was in love with Cam Newton at the time. She was always like, ‘I love Cam Newton,’ so I started to love him too,” Hill said. “Ever since then, I’ve really loved Auburn.”

Hill said Auburn is, without question, recruiting him the hardest among his top 5. Alabama and South Carolina file in tied for second for that designation. He didn’t mince words when he explained why. Auburn is well aware he’s a fan.

The Tigers coaching staff has take a bullish approach to his recruitment with that in mind.

“Yes, because they know I grew up an Auburn fan. They said, ‘Oh, this is home to him,’ so they want to make sure they get me,” Hill said.

The other programs involved still have a shot.

Hill will visit Alabama next weekend and likely make it to South Carolina the weekend after that. He’ll also make it to Florida soon since he’ll vacation in Disney World “in the next couple weeks” and will stop by Gainesville on the way back.

For a team to leapfrog the Tigers, it’ll have to do something that Auburn has already started to do.

“I have to feel like I’m at home,” Hill said. “You know how you feel when you’re at home and feel comfortable? I just want to feel like that wherever I’d go. You want to have a family no matter where you go. That’s what would push me to another school.”

All five schools involved have told Hill they want him as a wide receiver, though they’d give him the opportunity on the defensive side of the ball if that was something that interested him. Hill has made it clear he sees himself as an offensive playmaker.

He expects to have a final decision in the “next month or month and a half.”

Quote of the day, courtesy of Matthew Hill

Big Cat Weekend’s post-event interviews had plenty of intrigue as it pertains to Auburn recruiting. But the quote of the day (in my opinion) really had nothing to do with that.

Hill enjoyed his chance to interact with coaches, specifically Kodi Burns, in a different light. He also felt like he got that from an unexpected member of the coaching staff during the karaoke session that wrapped up Big Cat Weekend.

Herb Hand brought out his old-school rap skills. Multiple prospects made mention of Hand’s performance, including Hill who provided a 5-star quote:

“Coach Hand, oh boy, he really impressed me with his rapping abilities. Somebody needs to sign him.”

Decision 'soon' for WR target Shedrick Jackson

According to 3-star receiver Shedrick Jackson, his commitment decision is almost upon us.

Keith Niebuhr

6_5324549.JPG
Receiver target Shedrick Jackson. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

According to 3-star receiver Shedrick Jackson of Hoover (Ala.), his commitment decision is almost upon us.

“Soon,” Jackson said Saturday evening. “Maybe in two weeks.”

He added, “I’m thinking about making it live,” Jackson said. “Just got to figure out a plan.”

The 6-feet-2, 195-pound Jackson has not named a leader but his top group consists of Auburn, Georgia Tech, Memphis, Mississippi State and Missouri. Auburn is the overwhelming favorite in the 247Sports Composite for the No. 84 receiver in the 247Sports Composite.

Jackson has made multiple visits to Auburn this year, including last Saturday for Big Cat Weekend.

“It went great,” Jackson said. “I had a lot of fun down here. Met a lot of new guys. Created a bond with them, too, and the coaches also. … I had a lot of fun. It was kind of like the junior days I’ve been to but it was a lot more interaction. Talking to coaches. Talking to a bunch of other guys. I had a great time.”

Did the thought of committing at Big Cat cross Jackson’s mind?

“I talked to Coach (Gus Malzahn) about it,” Jackson said. “I talked about where I stand with him — and Auburn. Going to take it day by day.”

With Auburn, a few things stand out to Jackson.

“Just the type of place it is, honestly,” Jackson said. “The atmosphere around here. The bond the coaches have with the players is the great.”

Many know Jackson as being nephew to Auburn legend Bo Jackson. But according to Jackson, the Tigers have recruited him for his abilities — not his bloodlines.

Auburn has made him feel like a priority, he said.

“Definitely,” Jackson said. “Talking to not just Coach Malzahn but Coach (Kodi) Burns, Coach (Chip) Lindsey, Coach (Rodney) Garner — all of them. They say they really want me here to be a Tiger. It was pretty great.”

No. 2 OG talks Big Cat

Loo0abvmdqmmjwhfl4wc

AUBURN | Trey Hill, the No. 2 offensive guard in the 2018 class, was among the 33 recruits in Auburn Saturday for Big Cat.

Hill, from Houston County in Warner Robbins, Ga., spent the day watching and participating in pie- and watermelon-eating contests, a scavenger hunt and karaoke as part of offensive line coach Herb Hand’s team, Hand’s Hosses.

“It was a pretty good day,” Hill said. “Karaoke with the coaches, it was great. Coach Hand rapped an old-school song and it was great.”

Hill met with Hand and coach Gus Malzahn, and hung out with the other recruits, including close friend and fellow four-star recruit Kearis Jackson.

“The coaches told me the same things, where they want me to play and stuff, and that they have a family vibe here,” Hill said.

Hill and Jackson are close friends and have talked about playing together in college. Jackson is a highly-recruited wideout from Peach County High in Fort Valley, Ga.

Auburn, Georgia, Florida State, Ohio State and Southern Cal are heavily recruiting both, Hill said.

“We have talked about it a couple of times,” Hill said. “But it will just depend on what happens. It’s not in stone.”

Both are scheduled to graduate in December and sign in the early signing period. Hill said he doesn’t have a list of favorites, but Saturday’s visit was beneficial to Auburn.

“It’ll probably bump them up a little bit, but nothing major,” Hill said. “I like the coaching staff, the family vibe, and just being here.”

Hill doesn’t have a timetable for announcing his commitment, only that it would be before the early signing period in December.

Rivals ranks Hill, who is 6-foot-4 and weighs 325 pounds, the No. 8 player in Georgia and No. 53 in the Rivals100.

Three-star safety Jamien Sherwood can see himself playing at Auburn

Three-star safety Jamien Sherwood visited Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. (James Crepea/jcrepea@al.com)
Three-star safety Jamien Sherwood visited Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. (James Crepea/jcrepea@al.com)

Jamien Sherwood likes what he sees at Auburn.

The three-star safety out of Jensen Beach, Fla. enjoyed his visit to the Plains on Big Cat Weekend and can envision playing for the Tigers.

Asked if he could see himself playing at Auburn, Sherwood responded "of course" and cited playing time as a factor.

"Like most the other schools and this school in particular, low depth chart," Sherwood said. "They like my ability and if this was the place I come, I have to work to be No. 1."

Sherwood is right in reading Auburn's depth chart at safety, where the Tigers will lose three seniors in Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin after this season.

Auburn will have Daniel Thomas returning for his junior season in 2018 along with current freshmen Jordyn Peters, Traivon Leonard and Carlito Gonzalez, who has not arrived on campus yet, among those back in the secondary after this season so playing early would be possibly if not likely for Auburn's safety recruits in 2018.

The 6-foot-2, 198 pound Sherwood spent time getting to know Auburn secondary coach Greg Brown and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele last weekend.

"Coach Brown he's a great dude, funny guy," Sherwood said. "He recruits me hard, we talk every other day. I can see myself playing for him too. He has Thorpe award winners, a lot of coaching under his belt and he's great man to be around."

Sherwood, who holds offers from Miami, Florida State, Florida, Ole Miss, Oregon and others, will continue to visit schools and intends to return to Auburn again.

"Soon after that I'll be ready to make a decision," Sherwood said. "(In) August or anytime during the season. If I don't have a decision in the fall I'll definitely be back for a game ... but I'll be back sometime this summer too again."

Auburn 'exceeded' expectations for four-star Texas receiver Tommy Bush

Four-star Texas wide receiver Tommy Bush visited Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. (Drew Champlin/dchamplin@al.com)
Four-star Texas wide receiver Tommy Bush visited Auburn during Big Cat Weekend. (Drew Champlin/dchamplin@al.com)

Tommy Bush wasn't entirely sure what Auburn's coaching staff was like before visiting the Plains, but after Big Cat Weekend the four-star receiver left impressed.

"They exceeded (expectations)," Bush said. "I didn't really know the coaches like that so I wasn't really expecting them to be such high-energy, but when I came here I see they have another side of them. ... (Coach Gus Malzahn) was very good. You don't expect him to be that kind of nice person so it was good to meet him in person too."

Big Cat Weekend was the first chance for Bush and his parents to interact with the coaching staff after Auburn first made contact after The Opening in February and receivers coach Kodi Burns visited Bush's practice at Samuel Clemens High School in Shertz, Texas.

It's readily apparent what Auburn sees in the 6-foot-4, 191-pound wide out, who fits the mold of Sammie Coates, Tony Stevens and other tall wide outs the Tigers have turned to at split end over the years.

The visit to Auburn was part of a week-plus long tour of the region for the Bush family, who went to Georgia on Friday and planned visits elsewhere in the SEC and Florida State before returning to Texas.

"It's a great experience, it's nice," Bush said. "I really need to pay attention to these schools and figure out what's unique about them and what separates them. ... Of course education, but most of them, they're going to have a good education.

"My parents are a big part in this deal. I got to make sure they're comfortable with me either leaving the state or staying in-state. They're important in this decision. I feel like it's home to me, if I feel like I have a great fit after talking to coaches about how they're going to use me and I feel like that's the right decision, then that's it."

Bush thinks he'll make another visit to Auburn and is not locked in to going to college in Texas. Moving has been a regular part of his life as his father, a graduate of Troy, and is a retired master sergeant in the Air Force and the Bush family has lived in Alaska, Kansas, Florida, Germany and Texas.

Bush joked he considers himself from the U.S. rather than a specific state.

"It's nice to kind of have that background," he said. "I've been traveling pretty much every three years, I travel to a new place so it's no problem. ... It is a possibility that I can (go to college outside of Texas). I don't have no problem leaving the state."

Auburn tied atop Mobile Christian DE Andres Fox's list, but with which school?

Andres Fox visited Auburn on Saturday (Drew Champlin / AL.com)
Andres Fox visited Auburn on Saturday (Drew Champlin / AL.com)

Auburn is tied atop the list for Mobile Christian defensive end Andres Fox, but he's not ready to say who the Tigers are tied with just yet.

The 6-foot-5, 240-pound Fox (first named pronounced An-Dray-us) visited Auburn on Saturday for Big Cat Weekend. His final three are Auburn, Alabama and LSU - with Auburn tied on the top with one of the two.

"(Auburn) showed that they really want me," Fox said. "I told two other schools that I want to visit them first."

Andres Fox raves about recent Alabama visit

He said Saturday that he didn't plan to visit Alabama this week for its camp, but rather on June 17 so he can work with linebackers coach Tosh Lupoi. That's the day of a lineman camp at Alabama.

Fox said that LSU continues to recruit him the hardest.

Fox is a three-star recruit on the 247Sports composite.

Some highlights and notes on Fox following Saturday's trip to Auburn

• He's up to 240 pounds thanks to gains in the weight room, having gained 10 since late March. Coaches rave about his potential if he can add the weight to his 6-foot-5 frame.
  • He didn't participate in the pie-eating contest at Big Cat, just the watermelon eating one.
  • The best part of the event for him? Watching offensive line coach Herb Hand freestyle.
  • Auburn is recruiting Fox at the defensive end/BUCK position. That's where Carl Lawson succeeded and turned into an NFL Draft pick.
  • A commitment could come in August before his senior season begins. Fox and Mobile Christian finished as Class 3A runners up last season.
  • Auburn showed him "how they really care about their players."

•  

Watch Auburn commit Kameron Stutts dominate pie-eating contest at Big Cat

Kameron Stutts took his seat and took one for the team.

It was a pie-eating contest, a staple at Auburn's Big Cat Weekend. The offensive lineman from Brooks High School in Killen, who committed to the Tigers at the A-Day game on April 8, knew his mission.

"Banana cream pie," the 6-foot-4, 325-pound Stutts said. "I'm not even a big fan of bananas, but I had to do what I had to do for the team."

Many recruits in attendance at the social recruit filled with highly-regarded recruits said one of the highlights was Stutts' performance in the pie-eating contest.

"I (finished) it in plenty of time," Stutts said. "Everybody else was halfway done. We have some video evidence of other coaches taking half the (other contestants') pie and throwing it."

Stutts said he spent time with uncommitted recruits Asa Martin, a running back from Austin and Justyn Ross, a receiver from Central-Phenix City.

The best part for him was just having fun and talking to everyone. Being one of the few Auburn commits there, he put his recruiter hat on.

"Most other colleges you go and they don't do nothing like this," Stutts said. "This a really unique thing and it's really fun and family-based. That's something I noticed about Auburn and one of the reasons that I made my commitment, is the family-based atmosphere and everything. It's just a nice place to be."

Stutts also relished his future position coach, Herb Hand, outlasting linebackers coach Travis Williams in the freestyle rap battle.

"I think coach Hand killed it," he said.

Auburn leading ‘right now’ for safety Joseph Foucha

First cut coming for three-star safety Joseph Foucha, but Auburn has little to worry about.

Michael Niziolek

6_5233869.jpg
(Photo: 247Sports)

AUBURN, Ala. Safety Joseph Foucha couldn’t sleep the night before visiting Auburn for Big Cat weekend.

“We got here around 10 (a.m.), but I was up at four in the morning all the way to eight like it was the first day of the school,” Foucha said. “I was excited to be here. I was up all morning anxious to be here.”

Foucha, a three-star out of New Orleans, La., plans to narrow his list of top 15 schools down to five with “the first cut very soon,” but Auburn has little to worry about after his second stop on the Plains.

“I would say Auburn is leading right now,” Foucha said.

Foucha considered verbally committing during Big Cat Weekend, but was concerned about making the decision on a visit.

“Going to wait,” Foucha said. “Let some time go by.”

Foucha visited Alabama Sunday and is planning a visit this summer to Florida State, but he won’t forget the time he spent on Auburn’s campus anytime soon. Foucha’s first sit down with coach Gus Malzahn went well and his relationship with with assistants Greg Brown, Travis Williams and Kodi Burns continues to grow.

“It was everything I expected to be,” Foucha said.

There are other schools the 5-foot-10, 194-pounder would like to get see, but a return trip to Auburn might be in the cards before that.

“Great school,” Foucha said of Auburn. “A school I’ve been looking at since I was young, great opportunity to play. Great coaches showed me a lot of things. They showed me it's more than football today."

The only downside of the visit? A second-place finish in the pie-eating contest.

“If I had another chance I would have finished first,” Foucha said.

Seems we used to have a lot more 4 and 5 star players at Big Cat.  Now we seem to have a lot more 3 and 4 star players.   Have we changed our focus on who we invite, are some of the higher rated players not as interested as they once were, or am I just off base?   

7 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Seems we used to have a lot more 4 and 5 star players at Big Cat.  Now we seem to have a lot more 3 and 4 star players.   Have we changed our focus on who we invite, are some of the higher rated players not as interested as they once were, or am I just off base?   

Of base on the 4* part. 17 is a lot. As for 5*s Justyn Ross & Trey Hill will be 5*s before the cycle is over. The focus on who we invite hasn't changed. We still invite our staff's top targets regardless of site rankings.

Auburn in tight battle for 4-star OLB

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Auburn is in a tight battle with South Carolina for the services of one of the South’s top outside linebackers.

How close?

“I'd say like a one-second win,” four-star linebacker Channing Tindall said. “They're battling real close right now.”

Dp80w9nxndeqpjzaftnm
Tindall has four SEC schools at the top of his list.
Nick Lucero/Rivals.com

Tindall, from Spring Valley in Columbia, S.C., gives the Gamecocks a slight lead at the moment.

“I love Coach (Will) Muschamp,” Tindall said. “If I go to South Carolina I could change the culture and be with family.”

Tindall attended Auburn’s Big Cat recruiting event Saturday, his second trip to the Plains this year. His close relationship with linebacker coach Travis Williams has the Tigers a close second.

“Defensive scheme and better relationship with the coaches,” said Tindall on what stands out about Auburn. “I talk with T-Will about once a week. Especially with him coming from my high school, I have a really good relationship with him.”

Williams was a record-breaking linebacker at Spring Valley in Columbia, S.C., before becoming an All-SEC linebacker at Auburn. Tindall is determined to break Williams’ single-game record of 25 tackles this fall. And he could eventually follow in Williams’ footsteps to Auburn.

“Stepping in from senior year out to college is like your first step because you're kind of still like a child living with your parents. It's like the first time stepping into manhood,” Tindall said. “Coach T-Will being from someone I know from Columbia it's kind of like another father figure on your shoulder so you're not there by yourself.”

Florida and Georgia round out the top four teams on Tindall’s list. A final decision is still at least a few months away.

“I'm probably making my decision within the first two games of the college season,” Tindall said.

Tindall plans to visit Notre Dame June 8 before competing in the Rivals Five-Star Challenge in Indianapolis the following two days. He also plans a trip to Georgia within the next week.

3 hours ago, casatiger said:

On top of what E said, several 5*s were pre-occupied at national events that weekend, as well. As more and more big events keep popping up, it's going to get harder and harder to get everyone, especially the big names, on campus for a single weekend.

Archived