SEC Baseball Tournament

Miss. St wins game 4 3-0 over UGA. They get Arkansas next tomorrow morning.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

What will happen if we lose to Florida today/tomorrow?

What do you mean? We still play another team tomorrow regardless & are likely in a regional anyway.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What do you mean? We still play another team tomorrow regardless & are likely in a regional anyway.

I know it's double elimination, but how exactly does double elimination work?

In Double Elimination Play, when you lose your first game, you are placed in the Loser's Bracket and go home with your next Loss. On the other hand, by winning your first game in Double Elimination Play, you are placed in the Winner's Bracket and then must lose 2 games to be sent home.

34 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

If we lose tonight, we play the loser of MSU/Ark in Thursday. If we win, we play the winner of that same game Friday morning. There are scenarios for wins and losses after tonight, but that's what's directly in front of us. We have to lose twice to go home now. 

58 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

That's still a vague question as it is written. In a double Elimination format if you lose 2 games before the Double Elimination part is over then you go home. In the SEC Tourney Day 1 is single elimination. From then through the quarterfinals it goes to a double elimination format. The Semis & Final revert back to a single elimination. Here's a link that shows where all the winners & losers go. It's updated through the Miss St win today.

25 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Believe you drop into the losers bracket and have to play your way into the final where you have to win twice to take the trophy.. correct me if I'm wrong

That's the old way. It's now double elimination til 4 teams are left. Then it goes back to single elimination.

UK beat Carolina in Game 5 7-2. UK plays the winner of LSU & Mizzou tomorrow. Carolina plays the loser of that same game tomorrow as well.

As it stands right now, we're in a somewhat advantageous position. Win tonight and we get a day off. Lose tonight and we get a team that has to play early tomorrow morning and sit around for 3 hours before the game with us. 

But.... the weather might not cooperate with us tonight. There are storms that look to be moving into Birmingham in the next couple hours that could screw all of that up. Having to push back another game is going to make the double elimination portion of this tournament a war of attrition.  

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

As it stands right now, we're in a somewhat advantageous position. Win tonight and we get a day off. Lose tonight and we get a team that has to play early tomorrow morning and sit around for 3 hours before the game with us. 

But.... the weather might not cooperate with us tonight. There are storms that look to be moving into Birmingham in the next couple hours that could screw all of that up. Having to push back another game is going to make the double elimination portion of this tournament a war of attrition.  

If we don't get our game (game 7) in tonight then the losers of games 7 & 8 will have to play 2 games tomorrow. Yuck!

But if we can get the game in then I like our chances of knocking out Arky or Miss St tomorrow afternoon with Davis Daniel starting against a team that has to play 2 games in 1 day, especially if it's Miss St with their normally struggling pitching..

I hope we don't get pushed back until tomorrow morning. I say we play this game even if we gotta stay up until 3 in the morning

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

I hope we don't get pushed back until tomorrow morning. I say we play this game even if we gotta stay up until 3 in the morning

I say when the rain stops we go over to where the Barons or UAB play and play the game.

Do I recall that there is some sort of rule that the game must start before 11 PM ?

Seems that came up recently in a series down in Louisiana or somewhere. 

Without knowing the outlook for the rain delay ,if  it doesn't go on very long, there seems to be the possibility for us to get the game started before a curfew is imposed.

For those at the game … What does it look like.?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Do I recall that there is some sort of rule that the game must start before 11 PM ?

Seems that came up recently in a series down in Louisiana or somewhere. 

Without knowing the outlook for the rain delay ,if  it doesn't go on very long, there seems to be the possibility for us to get the game started before a curfew is imposed.

Happened in softball last week. Not sure the SEC Baseball Tourney has the same rules on that.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Happened in softball last week. Not sure the SEC Baseball Tourney has the same rules on that.

I remember when I was at AU the girls had a 10PM curfew on weekdays and 11 on the weekends...Did not apply for boys...the thinking being that when the girls were back in the dorm (where they had to live) that the boys were no longer a problem. 

Maybe that rule is still in effect. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

UK beat Carolina in Game 5 7-2. UK plays the winner of LSU & Mizzou tomorrow. Carolina plays the loser of that same game tomorrow as well.

Kentucky has three of the top five hitters (batting averages) in the conference...and five of the top ten.  That's ridiculous.

Was looking at the radar from the Birmingham area and appears that when the current pod moves away there might be enough clear sky to play our game unless something new develops . 

I guess that is still the intent ? 

AU lost to Florida in Game 7 5-4. They will play the Miss St. Arkansas loser around 4:30 today. Florida plays the Miss St Arkansas winner tomorrow morning.

JMO but not sure I have a favorite in the current game....Arky leading 3-0 at the moment....top of 4th. Plenty of time for either to pull it out...

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but not sure I have a favorite in the current game....Arky leading 3-0 at the moment....top of 4th. Plenty of time for either to pull it out...

I have a favorite. Miss St. has little pitching depth so I want them to lose so we have a better chance of having a big offensive game.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Miss St. has little pitching depth so I want them to lose so we have a better chance of having a big offensive game.

I was thinking the same thing until about an hour ago.  Arkansas is emptying the bullpen trying to win this game.  They may be mentally checked out if they wind up losing...currently 3-3 in the top of the 9th.  MSU has bases loaded and nobody out

Archived