2018 Opening Day Starters BSB

Now that the draft has ended, we can probably assume a few more things about next year's team. This is way too early, but I figured why not..... 

What we know:

-Keegan, Jonah Todd, Steele, and De La Torre all went fairly early in the draft.

-A big shock to me was the fact that Josh Anthony wasn't drafted. I was surprised, even after his struggles at the plate, that a team didn't pick him up late. 

-Tanner Burns and Steven Williams were finally drafted, both after announcing they would attend Auburn University. They were both picked up by the New York Yankees in the 37th and 35th rounds, respectively. 

Even assuming those guys that were drafted pretty early take the money and go ahead to pro ball, I think Auburn is in really good shape to, once again, improve next year. Here's what could be possible starters for AU on opening day in 2018:

Pitching: 1.) Mize, 2.) Daniel, 3.) Burns 

Bullpen: Watson, Mitchell, Camacho, Coker, Anderson, Herndon, Davis, Hillhouse, Warner, Sprinkle, Walczewski, Gahm, 7 freshmen that could all get a shot. 

Lineup:

1.) Jeremy Johnson (RS SO.) CF

2.) Luke Jarvis (SR) 2B

3.) Connor Davis (SO.) LF

4.) Dylan Ingram (SR.) 1B

5.) Josh Anthony (SR.) 3B

6.) Tanner Burns (FR.) DH

7.) Jay Estes (SR.) RF

8.) Steven Williams (FR.) C

9.) Will Holland (SO.) SS

Other possible players: Bowen McGuffin (SR.) OF, Mike Rojas (JR.) C, Incoming Freshmen. 

Here's what I posted in the draft thread. I could see Davis playing in LF. I think LF and CF are the biggest question marks going into the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see us do a number of different things in the OF this year. I do think Venter will start at 1B and Ingram at DH. 

C Steven Williams

1B Brendan Venter

2B Luke Jarvis

3B Josh Anthony

SS Will Holland

LF ???? (Platoon, maybe C Davis, McGuffin, Ward, Johnson)

CF Jeremey Johnson or Cade Evans

RF Jay Estes

DH Ingram

Starting weekend rotation Mize/Daniel/Burns

4 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Now that the draft has ended, we can probably assume a few more things about next year's team. This is way too early, but I figured why not..... 

What we know:

-Keegan, Jonah Todd, Steele, and De La Torre all went fairly early in the draft.

-A big shock to me was the fact that Josh Anthony wasn't drafted. I was surprised, even after his struggles at the plate, that a team didn't pick him up late. 

-Tanner Burns and Steven Williams were finally drafted, both after announcing they would attend Auburn University. They were both picked up by the New York Yankees in the 37th and 35th rounds, respectively. 

Even assuming those guys that were drafted pretty early take the money and go ahead to pro ball, I think Auburn is in really good shape to, once again, improve next year. Here's what could be possible starters for AU on opening day in 2018:

Pitching: 1.) Mize, 2.) Daniel, 3.) Burns 

Bullpen: Watson, Mitchell, Camacho, Coker, Anderson, Herndon, Davis, Hillhouse, Warner, Sprinkle, Walczewski, Gahm, 7 freshmen that could all get a shot. 

Lineup:

1.) Jeremy Johnson (RS SO.) CF

2.) Luke Jarvis (SR) 2B

3.) Connor Davis (SO.) LF

4.) Dylan Ingram (SR.) 1B

5.) Josh Anthony (SR.) 3B

6.) Tanner Burns (FR.) DH

7.) Jay Estes (SR.) RF

8.) Steven Williams (FR.) C

9.) Will Holland (SO.) SS

Other possible players: Bowen McGuffin (SR.) OF, Mike Rojas (JR.) C, Incoming Freshmen. 

That's pretty strong on paper and it's certainly exciting to see. Look forward to seeing how it will translate to the SEC. The only thing I'd be surprised at in this scenario is going with 22 pitchers and there's even a few left off like Glavin. Going to be interesting to see how we get down to the 35 for next spring. Thanks for pulling together and sharing. It's fun seeing the excitement around AU Baseball. 

I think we have a chance to see the kid from Canada (julien) wind up starting in the outfield.  I don't think he will displace Jarvis or Holland and he has too much speed to leave on the bench.

16 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I think we have a chance to see the kid from Canada (julien) wind up starting in the outfield.  I don't think he will displace Jarvis or Holland and he has too much speed to leave on the bench.

I look at all the games he has played against Cuba and also playing in the Dominican league and how well he did there. He could be a diamond in the rough type player. 

Archived