USA 19 World Cup Team

auburnphan

thought we could use a thread on this opportunity.....Wiley has packed on some muscle!!!

Auburn’s Austin Wiley, Chuma Okeke named finalists to make USA Basketball’s U19 World Cup team

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like there's a good amount of buzz coming out of the practices about Wiley. 

It's still coming:

Tucker also mentioned that Wiley was in the discussion for the best player on the court tonight. Along with Diallo and PJ Washington

thats pretty cool we have 2 players trying out for the team....and also a good reminder that Wiley is still a young dude. Really looking forward to seeing what Wiley is able to bring to the table next year down low. 

Watched Wiley in a couple of the Clips that were provided he is much more chiseled than last year and also appears to be much quicker than last year. I am hoping he has also added a mid range jumper to his arsenal.  The good and the bad of this is. If he has added the mid range jumper with the improvement I have seen he probably will be gone after this year.

Wiley shines again in Cairo

Rising sophomore Austin Wiley had nine points and seven rebounds to help USA Basketball to an 82-60 victory over medal favorite France in its second friendly in as many days on Thursdayin Cairo, Egypt.

“We played a tough France team,” said Wiley. “They were pretty good. We just played hard and were more physical, and we came out with a good W.”

Mdmzi9ycrrc9mrd0ok4l
Wiley led Team USA U19 to another win Thursday.
USA Basketball

Wiley scored 15 points in an 89-66 victory over Lithuania in a friendly on Wednesday, a day after making the 6,900-mile trip from Colorado Springs, Colo., to Washington, D.C., to Germany and finally Cairo.

“Not being together that long, probably less than a week, we’re playing well, and we’re looking pretty good, and I think we’ll get even better,” said Wiley.

USA shot 49.2 percent from the field and outrebounded a taller French squad 41-37, including 11 offensive rebounds. France shot 25.3 percent from the floor and had 21 turnovers. USA dominated with a 46-28 edge in paint points and scored 26-11 advantage in fast break points.

“We rebounded well. I think our big guys (including Austin) Wiley are playing well,” said USA head coach John Calipari.

The United States opens the FIBA U19 World Cup in Cairo, Egypt, on Saturday against Iran, Sunday against Angola and July 4 vs. Italy.

“It’s real important because it gets teams out of whack,” said Wiley of playing good defense for Team USA. “It makes them a little nervous and messes with their game. So, it’s really important.”

The United States will practice on Friday prior to the preliminary round opener vs. Iran on Saturday at 10:30 am CT in the Cairo Stadium Indoor Hall 1.

USA faces Angola on Sunday at 11:15 am CT before its final group play game against Italy on July 4 at 9:30 am CT.

Following the preliminary round, all 16 teams will be seeded according to group play results and will advance to the July 5 round of 16. Winners will advance to the July 7 medal quarterfinals, while the remaining teams will continue playing out for classification.

The medal semifinals will be held July 8, and the gold and bronze medal games on July 9.

Wiley will be vying for his second-straight gold in as many summers as he was averaged 8.0 points and a team second-best 6.4 rebounds for Team USA’s gold medal winner at the FIBA Men’s U17 World Championship in Zaragoza, Spain in 2016.

The United States is looking for its third-straight gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Cup after winning over Serbia in 2013 in Prague, Czech Republic and defeating Croatia in 2015 in Heraklion, Greece.

Anybody else not supper happy about Calipari coaching Wiley and also getting to coach this team in general. 1. It seems like a recruiting advantage for a current college coach to be in charge of this team. I.E you have a better chance of making the olympic team if you come play for my team in college. 2. It seems like an advantage for him when his team plays AU that he'll have a great idea as to Wiley's strengths and weaknesses due to coaching him through these games. Seems like a retired college coach or perhaps NBA coach would be a better fit. 

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Anybody else not supper happy about Calipari coaching Wiley and also getting to coach this team in general. 1. It seems like a recruiting advantage for a current college coach to be in charge of this team. I.E you have a better chance of making the olympic team if you come play for my team in college. 2. It seems like an advantage for him when his team plays AU that he'll have a great idea as to Wiley's strengths and weaknesses due to coaching him through these games. Seems like a retired college coach or perhaps NBA coach would be a better fit. 

Coach Cal has proven he can handle a bunch of young and talented kids in a short amount of time so I like it for the advantage it gives Wiley. Cal seems super into the u19, every time I've heard him talk. The kids going to the u19 camp and holding offers from Uk likely aren't too worried about their commitment holding them back from making the team when they're already this talented. IIRC, Chuma was the lowest ranked player there (recruiting wise). 

1 hour ago, Charhair said:

Coach Cal has proven he can handle a bunch of young and talented kids in a short amount of time so I like it for the advantage it gives Wiley. Cal seems super into the u19, every time I've heard him talk. The kids going to the u19 camp and holding offers from Uk likely aren't too worried about their commitment holding them back from making the team when they're already this talented. IIRC, Chuma was the lowest ranked player there (recruiting wise). 

What i'm saying is that if an elite player was down to say Duke or Kentucky or what school to go play for. That Coach Cal being the coach and having say over who makes the olympic squad might make the player lean more towards Kentucky. But really it is him coaching our guy and getting an in depth scouting view of his game that i find more bothersome. Probably not a huge advantage but still....

I'm good with this....should be no secret that the US team should have the best coaches available to coach in an international event like this....and should be someone with international experience too...to cope with the different rules and instruct young US players in the nuances of international basketball.   Plus his job is to mold a bunch of all star players into an actual "team" and do it in a short period of time.  

I'm happy that a coach of Calipari's stature is willing to do this...and happy that Wiley has exposure to more good coaching and the chance to compete against top quality talent. .

https://www.usab.com/mens/u19/roster.aspx

Eight rebounds in 14  minutes....nice.

AUBURN, Ala. – Sophomore Austin Wiley’s monster 16-point, 16-rebound game led USA Basketball to a 109-68 win over Angola in the second game of Group D in the FIBA U19 World Cup in Cairo, Egypt at the Cairo Stadium Indoor Hall on Sunday. 

Wiley, who is the team’s captain, started for the second-straight game while shooting 4-of-9 from the field and 8-of-12 from the foul line while playing 20:36. Nine of his 16 rebounds were on the offensive glass, and he had an assist and a steal. His +41 tied for the best plus-minus on the team. 

The Hoover, Ala., native dominated the first half with 13 points and 12 rebounds as the USA enjoyed a 60-26 lead at intermission. 

In the two games, Wiley is averaging 10.5 points and 12.0 rebounds in only 17.8 minutes per game. He is shooting 50 percent from the field and 64 percent from the free throw line. 

The United States shot 45 percent (39-of-86) from the field, 37.5 percent (9-of-24) and 61 percent (22-of-36) from the foul line. 

USA, which defeated Iran 108-48 on Saturday, improved to 2-0 in Group D pool play while Angola fell to 0-2. Angola lost to Italy 70-66 in game 1. 

The USA closes group play against Italy on Tuesday at 9:30 am CT. All games are streamed live at FIBA.com

To watch the USA-Angola game again, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-mtNxq_N1Q

To watch the USA-Iran game again, go to http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2017/0107/Iran-USA

Following the preliminary round, all 16 teams will be seeded according to group play results and will advance to the round of 16 on Wednesday. Winners will advance to Friday’s medal quarterfinals, while the remaining teams will continue playing out for classification. 

The medal semifinals will be held July 8, and the gold and bronze medal games on July 9. 

Wiley is vying for his second-straight gold in as many summers as he averaged 8.0 points and a team second-best 6.4 rebounds for Team USA’s gold medal winner at the FIBA Men’s U17 World Championship in Zaragoza, Spain in 2016. 

The United States is looking for its third-straight gold medal at the FIBA U19 World Cup after winning over Serbia in 2013 in Prague, Czech Republic and defeating Croatia in 2015 in Heraklion, Greece.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070217aaa.html

Outstanding performances by Wiley....does not sound to me like the same guy who finished his first year at AU a few months ago.  Being the team captain is quite an achievement.

That first year at AU was really helpful but he's definitely stepped it up another notch in the FIBA tourney.  Should really be interesting to see what he is like back in Auburn this fall. 

If we actually get him the ball it looks like he's going to have a good season for us

40 minutes ago, Tiger said:

If we actually get him the ball it looks like he's going to have a good season for us

good point...do we have a coach who knows how to use him?  ...gotta give Calipari some credit for bringing out the best in him. .

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

good point...do we have a coach who knows how to use him?  ...gotta give Calipari some credit for bringing out the best in him. .

Seemed we always went to him to start off games but then our perimeter players would forget about him for long stretches

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Seemed we always went to him to start off games but then our perimeter players would forget about him for long stretches

Coach Pearl mentioned earlier this offseason that a full offseason with Wiley will allow for a lot more of our offense to be designed around him. The interview I heard him saying it in was before these practices and he seemed extremely high of Wiley this season so I wouldn't doubt this improvement in Wiley's game being something CBP has already noticed and is already working on an offense they will feature Wiley. 

With all of the talent we have surrounding him, I'm sure he won't be getting the amount of touches he would have on any other recent AU team but I'd expect a lot more designed touches to him. Our perimeter players will get a lot of touches too, there's way too much talent out there for us to be one dimentional. With how well he's been playing the glass this tournament, Im hoping to see Wiley turning a lot of missed shots into points. 

Coming into last year we didn't know we'd have Wiley playing and didn't have anyone else on the team who deserved the touches in the post Wiley will this season. That was probably one of the last schemes CBP had that extremely young team focus on, especially considering it's not really his bread and butter.

But coming into this season, i can't imagine how our coaching staff wouldn't be focusing a lot more of the offense around Wiley. Too much of an obvious talent and mismatch for other teams. 

7 hours ago, Charhair said:

Coach Pearl mentioned earlier this offseason that a full offseason with Wiley will allow for a lot more of our offense to be designed around him. The interview I heard him saying it in was before these practices and he seemed extremely high of Wiley this season so I wouldn't doubt this improvement in Wiley's game being something CBP has already noticed and is already working on an offense they will feature Wiley. 

With all of the talent we have surrounding him, I'm sure he won't be getting the amount of touches he would have on any other recent AU team but I'd expect a lot more designed touches to him. Our perimeter players will get a lot of touches too, there's way too much talent out there for us to be one dimentional. With how well he's been playing the glass this tournament, Im hoping to see Wiley turning a lot of missed shots into points. 

Coming into last year we didn't know we'd have Wiley playing and didn't have anyone else on the team who deserved the touches in the post Wiley will this season. That was probably one of the last schemes CBP had that extremely young team focus on, especially considering it's not really his bread and butter.

But coming into this season, i can't imagine how our coaching staff wouldn't be focusing a lot more of the offense around Wiley. Too much of an obvious talent and mismatch for other teams. 

Great point. I somehow overlooked that he came in in December. That makes me feel much better

Because of the number of points he is scoring many are assuming Calipari is running a lot of plays through him. Look at his offensive rebound numbers. I would be willing to bet if he got 9 Offensive rebounds at least half led to put backs. That is half of his 16 points. As his strength and quickness has improved he is able to get in position and stay in position. He is creating his own offense by rebounding on the O side of the floor.  Rebounding was one of our big weaknesses last year. I see it becoming a strength for Wiley this year.

Wiley will become a double/double machine this year I am predicting 12 pts/12 rebound per game average and three blocks per game. Those are All Star numbers in today's game where the Center is not as involved as much as in the past.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Because of the number of points he is scoring many are assuming Calipari is running a lot of plays through him. Look at his offensive rebound numbers. I would be willing to bet if he got 9 Offensive rebounds at least half led to put backs. That is half of his 16 points. As his strength and quickness has improved he is able to get in position and stay in position. He is creating his own offense by rebounding on the O side of the floor.  Rebounding was one of our big weaknesses last year. I see it becoming a strength for Wiley this year.

Wiley will become a double/double machine this year I am predicting 12 pts/12 rebound per game average and three blocks per game. Those are All Star numbers in today's game where the Center is not has involved as much as in the past.

Good points about the rebounding.....we were really poor in the Off Reb category last year and hoping that picks up a lot...and if I recall, Wiley was in foul trouble early in many games and perhaps he's learned to use his "presence" without fouling as frequently and has better touch around the rim on his put backs.

Archived