Recruiting is a Tough Reality for Prospects

ellitor

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Just thinking,  however,   those flashy Oregon uniforms did not looks so flashy when they were getting hammered most of the season...and of course the counter-argument is that if the flashy uniforms attracted good athletes,how did Oregon end up near the bottom of the Pac 12 ?    I tend to think it is something for the wannabe teams at the college level....for kid sports, it is all about the players....and it should be fun...

If the team wins 10 games and beat UGa and bama...nobody will care when they wear...but ya gotta win...

No one is doubting that but the 10 wins consecutively has been the issue.  If a uniform change gets a higher quality player then... so be it.  But we should never forget who we are or where we came from

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

I think that the guy who follows Saban will have to live up to unrealistic expectations and will have a short lived tenure.  So I would expect that  coaching staff continuity at AU, we could be in great position to box bama out of places like Atlanta.

with our luck they will get dabo and have very little drop off in recruiting at least.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

with our luck they will get dabo and have very little drop off in recruiting at least.

I think Dabo is a lifer at Clemson now.  Just a hunch unless Bama offers so much that Clemson can't match it

54 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

One reason dabby classes are small is he does not process players out as much as the other big schools. Seems to be working for him 

Yup! I ask Corey Fravel the Clemson 247 reporter why they were only taking 15 last year and he came back with something why the 85 limit of course. He wasn't mockin me or anything. Just showing that processing doesn't enter the thought processes there much.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well, thats why i think dabo wont go to them at least not right away.  Why leave clemson where your only competition is FSU, VT, and maybe Miami to take a job where anything you do will always play second fiddle to the guy who just left?

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think Dabo is a lifer at Clemson now.  Just a hunch unless Bama offers so much that Clemson can't match it

agree

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No one is doubting that but the 10 wins consecutively has been the issue.  If a uniform change gets a higher quality player then... so be it.  But we should never forget who we are or where we came from

Oh I'm definitely a traditionalist....and thus far I've seen nothing to convince me that a new uniform philosophy would be a plus or minus....just noting that if someone decides (arbitrarily ) to make some change, they better be right.  

At most schools the coaches seem to have some latitude on that matter ...if they want to take the chance...but what I've observed is that coaches make color or uniform changes when a program needs an energy boost...and generally don't tinker with success... 

Just now, AU64 said:

Oh I'm definitely a traditionalist....and thus far I've seen nothing to convince me that a new uniform philosophy would be a plus or minus....just noting that if someone decides (arbitrarily ) to make some change, they better be right.  

At most schools the coaches seem to have some latitude on that matter ...if they want to take the chance...but what I've observed is that coaches make color or uniform changes when a program needs an energy boost...and generally don't tinker with success... 

I read this to mean you are good with orange facemasks and I want you to know I'm with you brother.

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I live just outside Pelham and know folks who talk to Dabo weekly.  He ain't leaving Clemson for bama.  He's got it made and will go down as the BEST coach in their history.  And his family loves it there.

3 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

I read this to mean you are good with orange facemasks and I want you to know I'm with you brother.

You forgot to add who's the better qb SW or JF3... that'd really get this going

1 minute ago, tinman said:

I live just outside Pelham and know folks who talk to Dabo weekly.  He ain't leaving Clemson for bama.  He's got it made and will go down as the BEST coach in their history.  And his family loves it there.

Why follow "THE MAN" when you are already The Man

Just now, corchjay said:

You forgot to add who's the better qb SW or JF3... that'd really get this going

I didn't think that was a debate.  Its clearly JF3.

(Before people actually get mad I am clearly joking its actually Clint Moseley)

Back to topic.

This is quickly turning into the Granddaddy of all Threads....  Should be titled an article about recuits and cornucopia of Auburn related info 

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Black or white cleats?  which makes you look faster?

Neither if you are Keil Frazier.

Two quick ones:

I did not mean for my post to turn into a uniform debate.  Sorry. I didn't mean to associate "flash" with uni change.   But tOSU has changed up uniforms using throwbacks and other new wrinkles.  Texas to a lesser degree has done the same.  Only bama and penn st haven't changed at all.  The schools mentioned: bama, tx, penn st, tOSU are all flagship schools for the state.  They get a automatic bump in popularity at Christmas time and so on.  I don't want to change, but if it means we make in-roads and get the players, I will pull my head out of the sand. 

Sweeney - Clemson can't match the inevitable offer.  Remember what he said in 2011 after he beat Auburn?  He will move.  Even if it's not Sweeney, they will get a quality coach and will have a carryover effect.  

I believe Auburn should go high tech and create "flash" somewhere, hire multiple marketing analytics pros regarding brand/social media and and take a very strategic approach to recruiting and create new niches.   The landscape is changing...Nebraska got left behind because they wouldn't change now I don't even know who coaches there and they are the REGION'S flagship school.   

At the end of the day my point is, and much like everyone on this message board, we want to win every game by double digits.  But what are doing to get there?  A coaching change isn't always the answer.  Fanbase? Culture? Uniform? Recruiting strategy?  That's what this thread is about.

Just now, corchjay said:

white is what I always heard but weren't we meaner in the black?

I was a dirty player not ashamed  to admit it so I did not need to look meaner. I mean how mean could a 5'10" 155 lb's look. Also since we off subject a little I always wanted to wear the tightest football pants I could put on my waist sz was 30 but it would take me 30 minutes to put on sz 24 pants to get ready for the game

I felt bad for him.  He wasnt ready for sec football and that whole season was a mess.  But  lot of that goes back to getting quality depth and being sure about the talent you are bringing in.  I think we have gotten better at talent evaluations in some positions, but i question the wisdom in stockpiling talent in some spots then being thin in places like safety.  IMO its better to take a risk  a borderline guy at  position of need than to get a better talent at a position that is already stacked.

Archived