Favorite AU Player That Wasn't Everyone Else's?

ClaytonAU

I pretended I was Tyrone Goodson way too many times playing interception in the back yard. And I probably kicked the Jaret Holmes game-winning FG between two pines trees in my back yard 1,000 times. Those two guys stick out to me as extremely memorable in my childhood because I was just getting old enough to really understand and love football. So I'll go with those two guys. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

that is awesome!!!! do you have said jersey framed in your office or anything?

It's hanging in my guest room closet at the moment. Probably over ten years now and I still haven't framed it yet. ??‍♀️ My sister and her bf (at the time) went through a ton of connections to get him to sign it. It made my Christmas morning! 

Ron O'Neal.   He went through more tear away jersey than anyone... That was the beginning of my interest and love for AU football.  

Later in in the years,.  I especially liked Jerraud Powers.   He was not flashy at all,. But was always always around the ball and a super smart player. 

William Andrews

or

Ace "you can't catch me" Wright

or

Carlos "you're going off on a stretcher" Cheatam.

Another...

Ace "one play one si cover" Atkins

Charlie Trotman and Randy Campbell: tough guys who laid it on the line for AU every week 

Jeremy Ingle: from undersized walk on to starter on an undefeated team 

Teapot Brown...

Bobby Strickland, 1968 '69 '70. Former walkon QB that Coach Jordan moved to linebacker and was the surest, meanest tackler I've ever seen. He was almost never caught out of position, it seemed he could sense what play was coming before the ball was snapped.

David Langner played football the way I always thought it should be played.  Also James Brooks.  Neither were all that big but they were going to bring everything they had on every play.  

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I talked about Brett Eddins the other day. AUsome guy!!!

Also, maybe Jarrod Powers would qualify for this list. 

You mentioning Eddins made me think of Reggie Torbor. Met him at fan day way back in the day and he is still one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Clayton Beauford.

Former QB turned WR who loved to beat thUga and looked good doing it.

11 hours ago, AidiAU said:

It's hanging in my guest room closet at the moment. Probably over ten years now and I still haven't framed it yet. ??‍♀️ My sister and her bf (at the time) went through a ton of connections to get him to sign it. It made my Christmas morning! 

Off topic but it makes me think of how lucky I was to get Ronnie Brown's signature. The Caddy and Ronnie lines never moved. I was walking by the table where Ronnie was before we left and was just looking. I looked at my dad and said "man I wish I could get Ronnie to sign my helmet". A few seconds later this older man that was 3rd in line grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me in front of him. It was arguably my greatest line break of all time lol.

One of my favorites was Brent Fullwood.....  Drafted the same Year as Bo, Jessie and Tommie Aggie, sometimes i think he is forgotten.  His speed was not far behind Bo's.  He was tough as nails.

Ben Obomanu. He was one of the most mature, stand-up guys I had the privilege of knowing in college. He's a little younger than me, but I learned from watching him deal with adversity as a true sophomore. Totally lost touch now, but he was a friend in college. Plus, he could ball. Loved watching him truly break out in 2005.

Terry Henly, he gave 100% effort on every play. Was not the most talented but he had heart.

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Tom Banks..................guy was crazy as hell but damn he knew how to party and scare the crap out of a recruit. Plus he would go to battle for any of his teammates.

Had a good career in the NFL

Image result for tom banks auburn

I'll tell him this. 

Archived