No need to call for Malzahn's exit, data shows it obvious

ChaddScott

I, for one, am not calling for Gus Malzahn's firing. I don't need need to, the data shows it's obvious Auburn needs to start preparing for a future without him.

In Auburn's last 15 games, the Tigers have scored fewer than 20 points 7 times. What more needs to be said? 

Here's my full GridironNow.com column from this morning.

http://gridironnow.com/offensive-genius-gus-malzahn-adds-another-dud-growing-list/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn’s last 15 football games have seen the Tigers score fewer than 20 points seven times – and just 23 against Vanderbilt. It is not an opinion to write that Gus Malzahn’s offense against Top – what – 30 teams seems to have a ceiling of 20 points. That has become a fact.

That is definitely a fact, Jack!

Sad, but convincing.

Everyone should read this....except the Malzahn family.

He has to be removed now.  Put a figure head in his place and let Al Borges and Chip Lindsey run the offense.  Why waste a year of eligibility of our players marching towards the cliff this year.  We don't have to endure any more of this mess and we don't have to hire a new coach right now.  Fire JJ and Gus and do what is the right thing for Auburn and it's student athletes.  LSU manned up and finally realized that Les was not taking the program any further after the Auburn loss.  Do we really need to see how this year unfolds for us?  We all know what is coming.  You can sit in a red wagon during a tornado but why would you with shelter a few feet away?  Get out the big boy broom, pull your pants up, attach your suspenders if needed, and sweep this mess out of Auburn.  How can anyone in charge not make a move?  It is almost criminal to make these kids go through this all year.  I can't stand to watch them after a game doing media interviews getting grilled about the complete Gus buffoonery that they have no control over.

5 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

He has to be removed now.  Put a figure head in his place and let Al Borges and Chip Lindsey run the offense.  Why waste a year of eligibility of our players marching towards the cliff this year.  We don't have to endure any more of this mess and we don't have to hire a new coach right now.  Fire JJ and Gus and do what is the right thing for Auburn and it's student athletes.  LSU manned up and finally realized that Les was not taking the program any further after the Auburn loss.  Do we really need to see how this year unfolds for us?  We all know what is coming.  You can sit in a red wagon during a tornado but why would you with shelter a few feet away?  Get out the big boy broom, pull your pants up, attach your suspenders if needed, and sweep this mess out of Auburn.  How can anyone in charge not make a move?  It is almost criminal to make these kids go through this all year.  I can't stand to watch them after a game doing media interviews getting grilled about the complete Gus buffoonery that they have no control over.

I agree with you, but LSU ended up with Coach O. If we don't make changes in who hires the next head coach we are likely to get the same old, same old.

wde

2 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I agree with you, but LSU ended up with Coach O. If we don't make changes in who hires the next head coach we are likely to get the same old, same old.

wde

I agree.  Thats why I said to sweep both of them out of town.  We don't have to hire our permanent coach right now.  Put Steele or someone as a figure head and let the new AD make a hire after the season.  Find the address' of every BOT member and roll their houses nightly until this gets done lol.

Auburn needs a proven winner at HC.  Not an up and comer.  Malzahn cost Marshall a Heisman in 2014.  Had Marshall been developed, Auburn would have won a national title in 2014 and Marshall would have won a Heisman.  Dreadful playcalling, lack of in game adjustments, and lack of any QB development would be the bare minimum that Gus was hired to achieve and he's failed horribly at every single one.  It's beyond time for him to go.  

Auburn is about to go on a 4 game win streak where the offense will shine.  All will be forgiven and fans will be jacked up and on top of the world again when we hit Baton Rouge.

I've seen this happen too many times in the last 3 yrs.......Folks get down on the coaching staff & Gus and want him canned, then he wins a string of games and opinions change and he somehow salvages his job.  Wash........Rinse........Repeat

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Auburn is about to go on a 4 game win streak where the offense will shine.  All will be forgiven and fans will be jacked up and on top of the world again when we hit Baton Rouge.

I've seen this happen too many times in the last 3 yrs.......Folks get down on the coaching staff & Gus and want him canned, then he wins a string of games and opinions change and he somehow salvages his job.  Wash........Rinse........Repeat

Nope not me.  I was critical on this board of the offense against GA Southern mostly not trying to let Stidham get in sync with the receivers and help them practice running routes as well as the O line in pass protection which the effects showed against Clemson.  I knew if the running game was taken away Auburn was in serious trouble.  I got blasted on here by a mod for that and couldn't believe all the supporters on here for Gus who believed we were saving things for Clemson. Gus has overstayed his welcome and he needs to go.  I don't care if he scores 99 points against Mercer, he's not an elite coach and Auburn deserves better.  

Sounds like the jets need to be warmed up and the check books opened. 

The issue so much isnt that Gus was a fake. It that he hasnt evolved the offense whatsoever since hes been at the P5 level. We simply rely on our ability to overmatch people at the offensive line and run over everyone. If our run game gets shut down, our pass offense has rarely been able to dig us out of a hole. Its further explained by when we go play action on 3rd and 10 because that is one of our few plays that offers a down field threat. It is concerning that we are not able to scheme around a WR standout and attack with them. If that guy is Hastings, then so be it. The fact that we need self evaluation more than ever right now is alarming because if you look at our Offensive staff, our experience at the P5 level is under 10 years outside of our RB coach. Al Borges is an offensive analyst on our staff and has more offensive/playcalling experience than our collective Off staff (Gus included). I have no clue why he is on our support staff if we are not tapping our resources. You can scheme around deficiencies and still be successful. The question is does our staff have the ability?

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

Totally agree that we are about to go on a 4 game win streak thanks to the schedule, but I sense something different this time with AU folks.  Especially if the offense goes MIA in Baton Rouge (again).

This is the camp I'm now in.  I LOVE AU.  I want them to win every time they play.  But a 5-7, 6-6 season wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if it lead to change at the top.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Totally agree that we are about to go on a 4 game win streak thanks to the schedule, but I sense something different this time with AU folks.  Especially if the offense goes MIA in Baton Rouge (again).

This is the camp I'm now in.  I LOVE AU.  I want them to win every time they play.  But a 5-7, 6-6 season wouldn't hurt my feelings too much if it lead to change at the top.

I absolutely hate where we are right now.  As much as I feel Gus is not the guy at Auburn I will still hope for the best this year.  If by some miracle he figures out something on offense that he hasn't been able to the last 2 years and with that defense we manage a 10-2 season then I will readily admit he deserves another year and I will eat a little crow.  Not all of the crow because it wouldn't change the cluster#$#@ the last 2 years have been but if we only lose one more game that would mean he found a way to beat 2 outta 3 of LSU, UGA and UAT.  Win a bowl game and I will be happy with 11-2...do I think all of that is going to happen?  Uh no. 

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

what do you think?

Well if you read anything above the portion you quoted, I insinuated that it is unlikely due to the experience of our staff.

Now, I do believe they will address the offensive line issues, and may make changes to our run game however, we will still struggle against teams with a pulse on defense (LSU, UGA and Alabama). 

Good article in the OP.  I used to be a Gus fan, give him a chance guy.  But the evidence is there.  Although I appreciate the gutty performance of Sean White last year in the UGA game to try and win it with and serious injury, Gus should have pulled him.  If Gus can't make that level of decision for the good of the team, we (AU/AD leadership) need to pull the "injured" Gus out of the game of being Head Coach.  It is now clear to me, Gus is too stubborn, doesn't adjust and does not prepare his team for overall success.

I know Clemson is a good team, but we should have been able to beat them.  But the track record shows, our team is not prepared for big games against good/great teams.

John C. Maxwell, motivational speaker/writer on leadership has stated "It all rises and falls on leadership."  This quote is so applicable to the situation of AU football - it rose under the leadership of Pat Dye, and has fallen under the leadership (lack thereof) of Gen Chizik/Gus Malzahn.  Like we all learned in school, when a small part of class fails, blame the student, when all the class fails, blame the teacher.  Our offense has failed, blame the teacher - that teacher is Gus.

Time for Gus to go.

Oh, one other thing.  KP was not full speed at Clemson, so why did we keep him in the game so long.  Almost another SW vs UGA situation.  Why didn't Miller get some time instead of a less than full speed KP?

LSU will tell a lot about his future . He lucked out last year with time expiring on them. I will reserve my judgement after that game , although I don't foresee it getting any better . If we have an embarrassing outing like Clemson , he truly needs to be let go. He definitely cannot afford to lose to any game to the average programs either 

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Hopefully, by now, most rational people will no longer fall into this trap again. There are only a handful of posters on this board who still think Gus is a good HC for AU.  

wde

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

LSU will tell a lot about his future . He lucked out last year with time expiring on them. I will reserve my judgement after that game , although I don't foresee it getting any better . If we have an embarrassing outing like Clemson , he truly needs to be let go. He definitely cannot afford to lose to any game to the average programs either 

I agree but I'm not taking the games in between for granted anymore.  Obviously if he loses at Mizzou that would probably be the death blow but I don't think we will drop that one.  MSU and Ole Miss may look at that game as a big opportunity though and if our offense hasn't evolved I think both could give us trouble.  D coordinators in this league are smart and if they see Auburn running the same old same old then to me those two games are not guaranteed wins.  That being said I do think he rights the ship enough to beat those teams but then it will be back to normal at LSU. 

Archived