Null



Sign in to follow this  
around4ever

Four Players Out For Mercer.

Recommended Posts

around4ever    305

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-safety-Nick-Ruffin-dealing-with-injury-107371864

AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn safety Nick Ruffin is "day to day" after suffering an injury late in a loss to Clemson last week, coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Wednesday.

The senior safety was hurt in the 14-6 loss at Clemson and joins several other players who may sit out the game, according to sources. Running backs Kamryn Pettway (heel) and Kerryon Johnson (hamstring), and receiver Darius Slayton (undisclosed) could miss Auburn's homecoming game against Mercer on Saturday.

All players were at practice Wednesday participating in at least some drills, Malzahn said on the SEC coaches teleconference. Those four players, however, are the most likely to sit out the game against the FCS foe Saturday at 3 p.m. on SEC Network Alternate.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




oracle79    816

So what's the deal with Malik Miller?  Participation report says he participated, but didn't touch the ball.  Leads me to believe he's not in the gushouse.  So is he too small, too slow, too bad at pass pro, can't catch, can't pick up blitz, fumble prone, doesn't know play book?  What gives?  Who is our #3 RB?  Maybe we'll at least find that out against Mercer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CameronCrazy    196
55 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So what's the deal with Malik Miller?  Participation report says he participated, but didn't touch the ball.  Leads me to believe he's not in the gushouse.  So is he too small, too slow, too bad at pass pro, can't catch, can't pick up blitz, fumble prone, doesn't know play book?  What gives?  Who is our #3 RB?  Maybe we'll at least find that out against Mercer.

Malik Miller should have gotten the ball Saturday night when it was obvious that Pettway couldn't bounce it outside or push off that foot. I've been impressed with Miller during his limited playing time

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WarTim    478

Not sure that KJ will make it back before second half of season. KP? Who knows?  Tough situation for those two young men and AU. Gotta have several RBs step up now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JMassie11    254

Again Miller is not as good as pass block and honestly Pettway is our best pass blocking back. You think 11 sacks was a lot, without pettway it would have been worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abw0004    770

I would honestly hold anyone out that is nicked up even the slightest.  No need to risk them for this game.  Lets get them healthy for the SEC slate, and get a better look at the younger guys.  Use this week to get KP off of his heel as that is the fastest way to heal plantar fasciitis.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tiger    1,649

Any news on Deshaun Davis? That injury had me worried considering his history with knee injuries. That didn't look good when he was laying on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would honestly hold anyone out that is nicked up even the slightest.  No need to risk them for this game.  Lets get them healthy for the SEC slate, and get a better look at the younger guys.  Use this week to get KP off of his heel as that is the fastest way to heal plantar fasciitis.

Has this been confirmed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thaitopher    558
21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Any news on Deshaun Davis? That injury had me worried considering his history with knee injuries. That didn't look good when he was laying on the field.

He tweeted earlier this week that he is fine. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lkeel75    457
32 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Any news on Deshaun Davis? That injury had me worried considering his history with knee injuries. That didn't look good when he was laying on the field.

I can't remember who it was on the radio the other day, but he supposedly just had the wind knocked out of him and they kept him out for precautionary reasons.

 

30 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Has this been confirmed?

I don't know about "confirmed" but that is exactly what my dr told me when I had this.  Stay off of it as much as possible and stretch it as much as you can.  Gave me this little ball device that you could roll on the bottom of your foot to stretch it out.  Felt great and ended up going away after a week or so of limited activities.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CCTAU    93
6 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Again Miller is not as good as pass block and honestly Pettway is our best pass blocking back. You think 11 sacks was a lot, without pettway it would have been worse.

I would think this game would be a great opportunity to get Miller some pass protect experience!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abw0004    770
1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Has this been confirmed?

Everywhere you look they are saying this is it, not a sprain, including a few of the insiders on this forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm beginning to wonder what AU does with regard to stretching.  I have plantar fasciitssisisisisssss or however you spell it.  From my own experience, it can be remedied over time with stretching.  The doc told me the problem isn't actually in the heel, it's in the quads, hammies and calves.  So I started stretching.  Constantly.  And sleeping with a boot on to keep my calves slightly stretched.  My issues were gone within about 8-10 days and haven't reoccurred.  (My issues were profound prior to the doctor's visit.  I used to feel like I was walking on glass shards before i started stretching.)  Add to the Pettway injury the fact that KJ went down with a hammy, Pettway had a quad last year, and you see the direction I'm headed.  Do we not stretch these players out enough?  These guys have legs like tree trunks and it SEEMS there is a connection between muscles being stretched/warm and injury.  I'm no doctor, but I've lived it and can run like the wind now......a slow, wheezing, gasping wind, but like wind nonetheless.  I almost start to cringe when these guys breakaway for a long run as I fear that one of these guys are gonna pull up lame.  What gives??

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
auburnphan    693
13 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

I'm beginning to wonder what AU does with regard to stretching.  I have plantar fasciitssisisisisssss or however you spell it.  From my own experience, it can be remedied over time with stretching.  The doc told me the problem isn't actually in the heel, it's in the quads, hammies and calves.  So I started stretching.  Constantly.  And sleeping with a boot on to keep my calves slightly stretched.  My issues were gone within about 8-10 days and haven't reoccurred.  (My issues were profound prior to the doctor's visit.  I used to feel like I was walking on glass shards before i started stretching.)  Add to the Pettway injury the fact that KJ went down with a hammy, Pettway had a quad last year, and you see the direction I'm headed.  Do we not stretch these players out enough?  These guys have legs like tree trunks and it SEEMS there is a connection between muscles being stretched/warm and injury.  I'm no doctor, but I've lived it and can run like the wind now......a slow, wheezing, gasping wind, but like wind nonetheless.  I almost start to cringe when these guys breakaway for a long run as I fear that one of these guys are gonna pull up lame.  What gives??

THis injury with athletes tends to last the entire season.    All teams are having these issues.  When athletes are becoming so strong and powerful the body can only take so much.  It is bound to happen.  University of  Wisconsin has a program for all their lineman to get them bak to a healthy weight after their playing days because they know it is unhealthy to sustain the strain they are putting on their bodies.  I assume most schools do this as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

THis injury with athletes tends to last the entire season.    All teams are having these issues.  When athletes are becoming so strong and powerful the body can only take so much.  It is bound to happen.  University of  Wisconsin has a program for all their lineman to get them bak to a healthy weight after their playing days because they know it is unhealthy to sustain the strain they are putting on their bodies.  I assume most schools do this as well

Yeah, I suspect it will linger and assume they work with specialists and such.   Just seems we have a high incident rate with these two RB's in particular and I don't see other teams struggling with it like AU seems to be consistently doing. (I'm sure other teams have similar lingering/repetitive issues, but given I watch AU more than any other team, sometimes it feels like AU has been jinxed by injuries to the key players that AU needs to have healthy).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
auburnphan    693
Just now, Woodstock Tiger said:

Yeah, I suspect it will linger and assume they work with specialists and such.   Just seems we have a high incident rate with these two RB's in particular and I don't see other teams struggling with it like AU seems to be consistently doing. (I'm sure other teams have similar lingering/repetitive issues, but given I watch AU more than any other team, sometimes it feels like AU has been jinxed by injuries to the key players that AU needs to have healthy).  

Living in Wisconsin all I hear about is the Badgers and trust me they have tons of injuries.  It is just not us!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
auelvis87    9

Prediction for the offense:  1) With our 2 top RB's out we'll put Cam Martin in and have him run it up the middle at least 30 times even though he is not suited to be that kind of running back (and he'll run it up the middle on every 1st down), 2) we won't utilize the tight end at all, 3) we won't attempt any slant passes or screen passes, 4) when it's 3rd and 8 we'll have our receivers run 4 yard routes, 5) when it's 3rd and 1 we'll have our receivers run 25 yard go routes, 6) when Mercer shows blitz we'll run the flee flicker, 7) and when it's 4 and goal on the 3 inch line we'll call a timeout, get a delay of came penalty, and settle for a field goal.

Is it that obvious that I don't have any confidence in our offensive coaches right now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doc4aday    470
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, around4ever said:

Do you think these players will be ready for Mizzou?  I hope this is the case. However, I would not want to rush things and feel that having the ready for MSU is more important than Mizzou. But....we cannot take Mizzou for granted as a W without at least some of the key players back in that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAG    2,553
2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Do you think these players will be ready for Mizzou?  I hope this is the case. However, I would not want to rush things and feel that having the ready for MSU is more important than Mizzou. But....we cannot take Mizzou for granted as a W without at least some of the key players back in that game.

Mizzou sucks . They gave up 43 points to Missouri state . I imagine 90 percent of Missouri state players can't make auburn roster and I am being generous . There is no reason we shouldn't be able to beat them even with the injuries . No excuses.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abw0004    770
16 hours ago, auelvis87 said:

Prediction for the offense:  1) With our 2 top RB's out we'll put Cam Martin in and have him run it up the middle at least 30 times even though he is not suited to be that kind of running back (and he'll run it up the middle on every 1st down), 2) we won't utilize the tight end at all, 3) we won't attempt any slant passes or screen passes, 4) when it's 3rd and 8 we'll have our receivers run 4 yard routes, 5) when it's 3rd and 1 we'll have our receivers run 25 yard go routes, 6) when Mercer shows blitz we'll run the flee flicker, 7) and when it's 4 and goal on the 3 inch line we'll call a timeout, get a delay of came penalty, and settle for a field goal.

Is it that obvious that I don't have any confidence in our offensive coaches right now?

It is Kam Martin, not Cam FYI.  Actually, now that I think about it, the first three running backs first names start with a K, not C.  

Edited by abw0004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
johnnyAU    443

It's time for my guy Malik "the Masher" Miller to get his due.  He needs to get at least 10 carries against Mercer so he can show case what he can do. Who's with me?

(so do Martin and Barrett for that matter, but I digress.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
doc4aday    470

What other SEC teams are having issues with running backs being injured this early in the season?  I would like to know along with others I would think. It seems we should have at least 5 RBs on scholarship that can play when called on.  We lose KP & KJ for too many games, we are in trouble once SEC schedule kicks in full force. Mizzou is the only game we can still be able to get some guys healthy without putting them back on the field too soon.

I have an 80 year old friend with the same foot issue as KP and she is in a world of pain with it. I would imagine a young man such as KP should heal much faster than an older person. I hope they hold KP and KJ maybe until MSU.  2 weeks should get them hopefully back to a reasonable health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AUwent    176

There's no excuse for not being able to put 30+ on Mizzou with Barrett, Miller and KMart. So it'd be nice if they can carry us the next two weeks.

Edited by AUwent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this