What happened yesterday? Sunday persepctive.

StatTiger

Thanks stat...I tend to judge the capabilities of the team based on what it does when playing at its best ....running the full offensive and defensive packages.

As you note, some people seem to judge the team's capabilities by play when it's obvious that the coaches are running the clock and playing the 2s and 3s .

I understand that some fans don't like the idea of just salting away a win with low risk play .....but that has nothing to do with what JS and the first offense can do and does not justify the criticism of the team and coaches just because they don't like the game strategy.  JMO

• Like 3

I agree with everything Stat said.  Despite my being firmly in the skeptical of Gus crowd I am not and have not been critical of the 2nd half performance.  When the game mattered and was in doubt we won 35-3.  Most teams take their foot off a little with a big lead plus a natural letdown from the players.  I am critical of Gus's overall record at AU but there is no doubt this team has improved.  A road at LSU is tough no matter how good or bad LSU is perceived to be.  Bottom line is LSU has a ton of talent and is capable if we don't play well.  I would much rather folks be moaning about a poor second half performance in a blowout win than moaning about a close loss.  

• Like 3

Love your analysis Stat. I particularly appreciate you pointing out that Bama's depth is still greater than ours. I'm hopeful that we're improving to the point where our primary rotation of players is right there with them. So, we have to stay healthy & keep getting better each week. May that be the case this week on the bayou! War Eagle!

• Like 2

To add to this and I’m not one to jump on a player but Stidham seemed to be the only player on the offensive side that checked out mentally which is understandable also.  He missed some key passes in 3rd down situations in the second half.  I wasn’t in the stadium but it also appeared the wind picked up a lot in the 2nd half which could be a contributing factor as many of Patterson’s throws looked like ducks and he’s a very solid thrower as well.

Edited by corchjay
  • Like 1

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic
17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thanks stat...I tend to judge the capabilities of the team based on what it does when playing at its best ....running the full offensive and defensive packages.

As you note, some people seem to judge the team's capabilities by play when it's obvious that the coaches are running the clock and playing the 2s and 3s .

I understand that some fans don't like the idea of just salting away a win with low risk play .....but that has nothing to do with what JS and the first offense can do and does not justify the criticism of the team and coaches just because they don't like the game strategy.  JMO

I didn't see a single person in here "judging the teams capabilities". I suspect it was our last chance until ULM to get our burnt redshirt some experience. We went from "rusty, not ready" week 1 to "we don't need practice" week 6? Anyway. Weekend is over. Team is definately truckin' right now. Nice read Stat. Let's go eat some corndogs.

Someone posted this, which I thought was a good way of looking at this:

In the ole miss game, we saw our ceiling and our floor as a football team. 

Here’s to hoping we see a lot more of the upper part of the room.  

If we combine the wonderful info and analysis we get from @StatTiger and Coach @JMR, we have every opportunity to be “well-educated” fans.  I really appreciate what you guys bring to the table!!!

Edit:  not to discredit others who give some great insight, I was specifically referring to the weekly “report card”, “upon further review”, and “what I think I saw” posts. 

Edited by AUpreacherman22
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, jAUSon said:

I didn't see a single person in here "judging the teams capabilities". I suspect it was our last chance until ULM to get our burnt redshirt some experience. We went from "rusty, not ready" week 1 to "we don't need practice" week 6? Anyway. Weekend is over. Team is definately truckin' right now. Nice read Stat. Let's go eat some corndogs.

Nice! Let's do it!

One of the most obvious execution improvements this game IMO was blocking by our wing players. For the most part it was technically sound and they HELD blocks (I mean within the rules) and didn't just shove & release. Glad to see it, a real headscratcher over the last few seasons when we've had ineffective blocking form some big strong receivers. 

So helpful. Thank you, Stat, and prayers for health.

You have a way of making the complex sound simple of which is fantastic for arm chair coaches like me!  I hope we can get KP healthy enough to get into the game and add another dimension to KJ. Both backs 90% at the same time would be awesome. Get the other backs into the game early and often so that Lsu will not know what is hitting them until it is too late!