Jacobs stepping down

WDE0007

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

To think that Jay Jacobs deserves anything less than jail time is not really thinking.  He far outlived his usefulness to Auburn when he moved out of his fundraising role at TUF.  The idea that we make heroes out of guys who have so gutted Auburn athletics is absolutely asinine. 

I'll never forgive him for basically forcing David Marsh to leave...really stupid move...and a harbinger of things to come.

Maybe this will ease some of the hostility around here. Put the pitchfork down and only use the torch...Once Gus is relieved I can see many popping the second bottle of champagne they have on ice....no i kid..it was time for JJ to move on, best for him and Auburn...

6 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

By a show of hands, how many of you have jobs where you can underperform, make 7 figures, AND give a 7 month notice?

Seems that the people he works for like the President and BOT have more faith in him that some people outside the school....and I'm inclined to trust their judgment on that issue more than alums or fans scattered about the US. JMO 

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh means he will still be involved. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Seems that the people he works for like the President and BOT have more faith in him that some people outside the school....and I'm inclined to trust their judgment on that issue more than alums or fans scattered about the US. JMO 

That may be true of the Board of Trustees which leads one to doubt whether REAL change will come with this...however, Dr. Leath clearly had no faith in him and this is where all friends, family and alumni of Auburn should show a serious level of support.  I will certainly be sending him my letter of thanks tonight.  You can trust whatever outside judgement you wish, but I'm telling you this is a day of jubilation and not regret.  The lid has been lifted off the darkness that has pervaded Auburn athletics for the last 13 years (and that number is no coincidence).  And I'm not gloating, I'm encouraging.

My only problem with this idiotic timeline is Gus will spin in the wind another year and uga and bama are gonna out-recruit us again with all the negative recruiting.

This year and next year - that's 2 years of 'down recruiting' and we will feel it in 3-4 yrs This is a real problem.   Gus will likely be 8-4 this yr with a team chock full of talent.  This year and next we won't have a top 10 class anymore....I hope I am wrong.

But I have time to update my resume so I can interview to be the new AD I guess.  There's a "positive".

Lets see how this goes. We knew JJ was going to leave for a while now. So with that said we should almost if not already got someone in place. If this takes much time someone has really dropped the ball.

As others have posted, I am indeed happy that the grifter GOB of AU athletics is finally admitting it is time for his incompetent ass to resign.  JJ deserves nothing in terms of anyone being respectful towards him.  

The ultimate victory for all that have known that Jay Jacobs should have never been hired as our AD to begin with and continued to basically suck at it since his hiring, would be that on Monday, November 6, AU announce the new AD.  Screw JJ trying to milk this to June 2018!!

wde

For real with all the vitriol? Do you guys actually KNOW something that Jacobs has done that is illegal or are you just listening to rumblings from people in the AD? Most people don't like their bosses, especially when that boss is very handsomely paid compared to the employees. Most people think they would do things differently than their boss.. I want to know EXACTLY why people hate him so much. True and real examples, not just hearsay. Some of us are far removed from knowing what goes on in the AD and have no way of knowing whether or not your poor opinion of Jacobs is founded in reality. Although I think he's not particularly polished, I've never had any reason to think he had anything but the best interest of Auburn at heart.

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

For real with all the vitriol? Do you guys actually KNOW something that Jacobs has done that is illegal or are you just listening to rumblings from people in the AD? Most people don't like their bosses, especially when that boss is very handsomely paid compared to the employees. Most people think they would do things differently than their boss.. I want to know EXACTLY why people hate him so much. True and real examples, not just hearsay. Some of us are far removed from knowing what goes on in the AD and have no way of knowing whether or not your poor opinion of Jacobs is founded in reality. Although I think he's not particularly polished, I've never had any reason to think he had anything but the best interest of Auburn at heart.

I don’t have any feelings one way or another about JJ, but it will take you 5 seconds looking at the other JJ threads to figure out why some posters on here have a genuine dislike for him.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t have any feelings one way or another about JJ, but it will take you 5 seconds looking at the other JJ threads to figure out why some posters on here have a genuine dislike for him.

Maybe I am just dense, or maybe I am too lazy to go back and read it all to put 2 and 2 together. :dunno: I don't know everyone's backgrounds. Maybe some of them are employed in the AD? Maybe some of them were on a Tubs team? Maybe some of them played with him and just think he's a major goober? I really don't know. I just wanted someone to explain exactly why they hate him with the facts that go along with that.

I wish you well Jay. You did do some good over your tenure as AD. You did some things that a lot of us die hard fans have not agreed, but all in all we have a lot to be thankful for during your time.  I do think it is time for you to step down and let someone take our athletic program to the level that you tried to achieve.

With this being said, THANK GOD AND GREYHOUND YOU ARE GONE!!!!!

(I am just kidding folks....I think he is a good guy for the most and do wish him well)

What about Cole Cubelic as AD?  I enjoy his reporting on the SEC channel and know he is an Auburn Man and has the smarts to do the job. 

23 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

1. Poor hires across the board

2. Running off quality coaches - Marsh, Muschamp

3. Stuck season ticket holders with lousy football non-conference home schedule most years (poor value to loyal season  ticket holders)

4. Jordan-Hare falling behind other SEC stadiums

5. Gross mishandling of scandals involving athletes, the most-recent incident is very telling

6. No repercussions when Malzahn knowingly played a seriously-injured QB against Georgia instead of putting in a healthy QB

7. Allowed Malzahn to bring in too many yes-men and none who would challenge his system which is so obviously failing against actual competition

8. Not able to overcome poor relationships with key personnel

9. Clemson, Clemson, Clemson, and some more Clemson

10. One of the worst public speakers to ever step in front of a microphone (poor representative of a major university)

I don't question Jacobs cares deeply for Auburn and did the best (well, kind of) that he could. His best was just way, way below the caliber of performance expected of ADs in the SEC and his poor performance has harmed Auburn athletics for potentially many years to come.

34 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Maybe I am just dense, or maybe I am too lazy to go back and read it all to put 2 and 2 together. :dunno: I don't know everyone's backgrounds. Maybe some of them are employed in the AD? Maybe some of them were on a Tubs team? Maybe some of them played with him and just think he's a major goober? I really don't know. I just wanted someone to explain exactly why they hate him with the facts that go along with that.

You already asked this question and I (for one) responded very specifically.  That indeed makes you as dense as you've alluded.  You seem like a very nice person and I don't want to offend you, but you are not going to be convinced.  We can leave it at that if you wish.  

Yes, but some of the attacks on him seem personal, not necessa

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You already asked this question and I (for one) responded very specifically.  That indeed makes you as dense as you've alluded.  You seem like a very nice person and I don't want to offend you, but you are not going to be convinced.  We can leave at that if you wish.  

That was rude as hell.

1 hour ago, api1957 said:

We'll probably screw this up and hire the Iowa St AD.

Real possibility. And their football coach.

24 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The majority of what I've read on here and through news outlets tells me it was time for him to go. Yes, he's had some success during his tenure and Auburn is in very good shape financially as a whole. What I can't get past is that he is the Athletic Director and the direction Auburn athletics is going is south when it comes to issues in Softball, Basketball and Track and Field with allegations that he should have been more on top of, namely the Title IX issues. He may have found out about the basketball issue when everyone else did but it gives the appearance that he was asleep at the wheel and that is not what he gets paid for. He has to have his head on a swivel and constantly be addressing these things before certain behavior repeats itself as in Softball. An AD has to be held accountable for their shortcomings and it looks like that has finally happened. I agree with part of your sentiment because it's a sad day that Auburn is forced to deal with this and I don't celebrate that but I am thankful that the corner has been turned and we can now see the start-finish line. Looking forward to a start with a new leader and direction that Auburn deserves to have. 

10 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Yes, but some of the attacks on him seem personal, not necessa

That was rude as hell.

No ma'am it wasn't.

The guy is an effing scumbag and your going on about what a good family man he is is just dead wrong.   He has stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars from Auburn University through the TUF ticket priority system.  He absolutely made up the charges that got him what he was told he would have to do before he ever laid eyes on Golloway.  He completely cut tail and ran on Chizik to save his own hide.  He is a heretic of the worst kind and you don't have the discernment to sniff it.

That my friend was rude as hell.  I offered to leave it at less.  Jacobs will continue to tear this family apart until he goes to jail for what he's done.  

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The majority of what I've read on here and through news outlets tells me it was time for him to go. Yes, he's had some success during his tenure and Auburn is in very good shape financially as a whole. What I can't get past is that he is the Athletic Director and the direction Auburn athletics is going is south when it comes to issues in Softball, Basketball and Track and Field with allegations that he should have been more on top of, namely the Title IX issues. He may have found out about the basketball issue when everyone else did but it gives the appearance that he was asleep at the wheel and that is not what he gets paid for. He has to have his head on a swivel and constantly be addressing these things before certain behavior repeats itself as in Softball. An AD has to be held accountable for their shortcomings and it looks like that has finally happened. I agree with part of your sentiment because it's a sad day that Auburn is forced to deal with this and I don't celebrate that but I am thankful that the corner has been turned and we can now see the start-finish line. Looking forward to a start with a new leader and direction that Auburn deserves to have. 

Thank you for answering me in a thoughtful and straightforward way. I have no particular love for Jay Jacobs or hatred for him either. It seems that some people have a personal grudge against him that must involve more than his job performance to be displaying their level of hatred against him as a person.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

No ma'am it wasn't.

The guy is an effing scumbag and you're going on about what a good family man is just dead wrong.   He has stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars from Auburn University through the TUF ticket priority system.  He absolutely made up the charges that got him what he was told he would have to do before he ever laid eyes on Golloway.  He completely cut tail and ran on Chizik to save his own hide.  He is a heretic of the worst kind and you don't have the discernment to sniff it.

That my friend was rude as hell.  I offered to leave it at less.  Jacobs will continue to tear this family apart until he goes to jail for what he's done.  

WHERE exactly have I "gone on" about what a good family man he is? You obviously have not read any of my posts. I just asked a question as to why the comments seemed to be so full of hate and seemed to be personal. I was truly interested in the SPECIFICS of what people thought that he did wrong. I NEVER said I was for or against the guy. I mainly follow the football program and don't get all that involved in following the AD itself. If you hate him, fine. I don't see why you need to dump that hate on me. I'm through talking with you about it, as all you want to do is insult me. I've done nothing to you.

Archived