Kodi Burns

PigskinPat

14 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Isn't that Horton though?  Dude knows what he's doing with RB's for sure.  

Technically yes.  And you're right...and he's going to earn his (bonus) money this weekend.  He's not going anywhere not of his choosing.

1 hour ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

Isn't that Horton though?

On paper... note the picture after the Iron Bowl where he's standing with his guys... the running backs.

This year has been Special Teams coaching by committee and it's failed pretty spectacularly.  We need a true Special Teams guru.

17 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Next season aren’t coaches allowed an additional assistant?

Yes, we can hire one on Jan 9. Hopefully we already have a shortlist of special teams rock stars who can also recruit their butts off.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Realize there was a big philosophical change in the WR game between CGM and CCL. Prior to CCL, we had the CGM/CRL/CKB approach which was basically CGM's philosophy. So it took time to change the philosophy. I think that is one reason production was low early in the season, and higher now. Also the improvement of JS played a role.

This passing game will only get better.

I am asking because I am not smart enough to see those philosophical differences. Could you explain the difference from last year to this year and provide some particular examples?

45 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I'm certainly no expert but from what I've seen our returns in both punt and especially kickoffs leaves alot to be desired.

I'm fine with the returns. It's the coverage that's bad. Especially on KOs. We don't know how to cover them because we haven't had to as long as Gus has been here. It's been nothing but touchbacks until this season. That's my super uninformed and semi-humorous theory, anyway. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm fine with the returns. It's the coverage that's bad. Especially on KOs. We don't know how to cover them because we haven't had to as long as Gus has been here. It's been nothing but touchbacks until this season. That's my super uninformed and semi-humorous theory, anyway. 

Seems like a valid theory to me.  Used to be the same with punts back when we had Clark. Then he left and we had to learn to cover because we didn't have all day to get to where the ball was going to land anymore. 

That's a huge personality flaw with Gus. He tends to think he's got something covered because circumstances have made it so it wasn't an issue. Then circumstances change and he's doesn't have a back-up plan. He didn't do the math that more 50+ yard kicks for Carlson = fewer kicks out of the end zone late in games. The good news is every time one of these things bites him in the butt, he seems to learn and not repeat the mistake.

I do wonder if he's had someone in mind for Special Teams and the 10th coordinator and that's why he laid out the staff the way he did this year. Could be giving him FAR too much credit with that one, however.  It was more likely your theory that our kickers have been so good, the rest didn't matter.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I am asking because I am not smart enough to see those philosophical differences. Could you explain the difference from last year to this year and provide some particular examples?

The biggest philosophical difference between CGM and CCL are WR blocking. CGM pushed aggressive, initial WR blocking engagement on running plays. CCL's philosophy is for WRs to run vertical routes on running plays to try to draw DBs away from the play.

CCL's philosophy is a WR going after a block shortly after the snap does two things: It keeps the DB facing the line of scrimmage, and telegraphs to the DB the play is a run. The WR running a route turns the DB around. The counter argument would be a great DB that is not blocked might not be fooled by the WR running a route.

That said, in CCL's offense I have seen aggressive initial WR blocking on WR screen routes, and with runs that have a WR screen fake.

Some other things I have seen this year are more crossing routes.

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Seems like a valid theory to me.  Used to be the same with punts back when we had Clark. Then he left and we had to learn to cover because we didn't have all day to get to where the ball was going to land anymore. 

That's a huge personality flaw with Gus. He tends to think he's got something covered because circumstances have made it so it wasn't an issue. Then circumstances change and he's doesn't have a back-up plan. He didn't do the math that more 50+ yard kicks for Carlson = fewer kicks out of the end zone late in games. The good news is every time one of these things bites him in the butt, he seems to learn and not repeat the mistake.

I do wonder if he's had someone in mind for Special Teams and the 10th coordinator and that's why he laid out the staff the way he did this year. Could be giving him FAR too much credit with that one, however.  It was more likely your theory that our kickers have been so good, the rest didn't matter.

Yep. I understand the need to have your kicker practice for touchbacks, but there has to be a back-up kicker who can practice kick for the kick coverage team.

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That, all day long, forever and ever amen. As long as he keeps learning, he won't hear anything but praise from me. He's been in CFB a year less than saban's been at bama...

...okay, sorry, should we talk about that for a second? The one coach who might be a legit saban killer was moving up to college ball from high school about the same time saban was moving back down from pro ball. I know it's been said before, but that is absolutely astounding to me...

...Anyway, what you said.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That, all day long, forever and ever amen. As long as he keeps learning, he won't hear anything but praise from me. He's been in CFB a year less than saban's been at bama...

...okay, sorry, should we talk about that for a second? The one coach who might be a legit saban killer was moving up to college ball from high school about the same time saban was moving back down from pro ball. I know it's been said before, but that is absolutely astounding to me...

The funny thing is, I think a lot of the potential threat to Saban comes from Steele... who is a weapon of his own making in many ways. Without Steele, we're back to barely beating every team because we can score at will but couldn't reliably stop a high school JV offense.

23 hours ago, corchjay said:

Kodi needs experience.  He's getting it and he'll continue to get better.  

No doubt...  KB is coaching them up and with the passing attack is able to recruit at a very good level as well.   We do not have receivers anywhere close to UGA or Bama but our guys are making as many or more plays as theirs.   A lot has to do with the gunslinger but that is always the case.  

Just now, lala said:

No doubt, but KB is coaching them up and with the passing attack is able to recruit at a very good level as well.   We do not have receivers anywhere close to UGA or Bama but our guys are making as many or more plays as theirs.   A lot has to do with the gunslinger but that is always the case.  

Agree on the QB part.  However, I'm happy with Kodi at the moment but he needs to seal the deal with some of the higher rated WRs.  There are about a billion 4 star WRs each class now it's expected we would get 2-3 4 stars just by default.  We need to get to where we bring in a top 10 WR every class.  That's how you build consistency. 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Agree on the QB part.  However, I'm happy with Kodi at the moment but he needs to seal the deal with some of the higher rated WRs.  There are about a billion 4 star WRs each class now it's expected we would get 2-3 4 stars just by default.  We need to get to where we bring in a top 10 WR every class.  That's how you build consistency. 

Agree with that!  Hopefully this year is the start.   Guys don’t want to come if all the do is block.    

9 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Yes. Last year we had a special teams coach, Scott Fountain. We let him go and UGA picked him up instantly to be their special teams coach.

This year we have a special teams coach in name only, it's a committee (read: Whoever has a spare minuet) The difference is glaring. I hope we have identified and will eventually hire a good special teams coach. Kick and punt coverage is the worst part of our team and you can lose there in a heartbeat. Note the punt return for a TD by LSU.

5 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

With a gunslinger like Stidham, 3-star WRs are made to look good. Hopefully, Malik picks up some of his talent. :bananadance:

Yes agreed.  But will also over the past 2 seasons our per recruit average for WR is the lowest it's been since 2009.  Food for thought

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I read all of this in Randy Travis’ voice...a-aa-ameeeeeeennn.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes. Last year we had a special teams coach, Scott Fountain. We let him go and UGA picked him up instantly to be their special teams coach.

This year we have a special teams coach in name only, it's a committee (read: Whoever has a spare minuet) The difference is glaring. I hope we have identified and will eventually hire a good special teams coach. Kick and punt coverage is the worst part of our team and you can lose there in a heartbeat. Note the punt return for a TD by LSU.

I agree about the special teams play but I was asking about the philosophical differences in the coaching as it related to the WR.

54 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I agree about the special teams play but I was asking about the philosophical differences in the coaching as it related to the WR.

Oh, I thought you were asking about special teams. Sorry 'bout that! :)

Archived