Teammates: Davis made decision to sit out

abw0004

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Telling his teammates is one thing, telling his coaches is another.  If he told his coaches and Gus continued with the sick excuse then Gus is at fault as well.  If you think I support Gus then you having been reading my posts.  But  didn't Gus coach in his team's bowl game after he took the AU job?

wde

Umm no he didn’t . He bailed on Arkansas State right after the championship game. He also told the team he wasn’t going to do that prior to the game , then afterwards said if it wasn’t auburn he wouldn’t have left. This is straight insider knowledge from a friend of mine who played on the squad, residing out of pine bluff. Also, why Jonesboro people are too fond of Malzahn. Gus understands more than anybody how business works. You think Gus didn’t have an idea of what is going on with his player?

Secondly , this shouldn’t have even gotten out. This is the second time Trigga has opened up to the media, where he should’ve just kept it to himself. He is going to have to learn that at the next level. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

Umm no he didn’t . He bailed on Arkansas State right after the championship game. He also told the team he wasn’t going to do that prior to the game , then afterwards said if it wasn’t auburn he wouldn’t have left. This is straight insider knowledge from a friend of mine who played on the squad, residing out of pine bluff. Also, why Jonesboro people are too fond of Malzahn. Gus understands more than anybody how business works. You think Gus didn’t have an idea of what is going on with his player?

Secondly , this shouldn’t have even gotten out. This is the second time Trigga has opened up to the media, where he should’ve just kept it to himself. He is going to have to learn that at the next level. 

Fair enough. I was wrong about Gus.   I do think Gus knew what was going on which is why I think Gus is in the wrong on how he handled this.  Just own up to it and be honest instead of the fake sick BS..  That was so transparent and yet Gus and Davis continued with the BS which makes them both look like fools.  This getting out is something most really knew, but to Trigga's credit, the truth came to light.  Add that to Braden Smith's story, then Davis had to have been on his death bed sick, if he was truly sick.  Again, I hope Davis makes it in the NFL.  I just wish he didn't abandon his teammates for a game and a half to pursue that dream.

wde

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Fair enough. I was wrong about Gus.   I do think Gus knew what was going on which is why I think Gus is in the wrong on how he handled this.  Just own up to it and be honest instead of the fake sick BS..  That was so transparent and yet Gus and Davis continued with the BS which makes them both look like fools.  This getting out is something most really knew, but to Trigga's credit, the truth came to light.  Add that to Braden Smith's story, then Davis had to have been on his death bed sick, if he was truly sick.  Again, I hope Davis makes it in the NFL.  I just wish he didn't abandon his teammates for a game and a half to pursue that dream.

wde

Maybe. Like I said , I don’t want anyone to talk about it. Show me. What the performance out there, a lot of these guys shouldn’t be saying anything. Especially if it was so “hard” to get up for this game.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe. Like I said , I don’t want anyone to talk about it. Show me. What the performance out there, a lot of these guys shouldn’t be saying anything. Especially if it was so “hard” to get up for this game.

I agree that the team (coaching staff mainly) did not prepare for the bowl game, but either play or openly say you are holding yourself out for the draft (bailing on your teammates) for the draft instead of playing the sick excuse.  Gus is just as much a problem with this as Davis since Gus played along.  Just say you don't want to play and after the 1st half of the SECCG, you started looking towards the NFL draft.

Edit: I think we just need to agree to disagree on this one.  My cancer treatments have me too tired to argue much.

wde

This discussion is centered on an NFL draft hopeful playing or not. What I find interesting is a bigger issue beneath the surface, and potentially a much great risk to college football in the long run. And that is, the number of fans and players who have now decided a non-playoff game bowl is unimportant and insignificant. In these threads about CD, one of the most prevalent statements is “meaningless game”. Times have certainly changed. Not sure where it’s headed, and not sure if we will be happy fans when we find out. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Freshman basketball tournament vs millions in the NFL...yep, Definitely apples to apples.

Actually its teenage hormones vs millions

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually its teenage hormones vs millions

Millions doesn't stand a chance against puberty!!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

In fairness to Gus, when he was the coordinator at Tulsa, as part of the agreement when he accepted the job at Auburn, Gus told Chizik that he was going to coach his team through the bowl game so he didn’t bail there.  I know that because my grandparents are big donors to that school (I know random, but they are from Oklahoma).  I have no idea about his other stops though so you may be right.  

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

I hope you aren’t serious. You are comparing a bowl game to a rivalry game in the regular season. Chances are JS wouldn’t do anything like that if he wanted any chance to win a heisman, which is his goal. Chances are that could affect his all conference individual award if he does something like that. That is not nearly in the same stratosphere as skipping a bowl game. By then all of his body of work is done. You argument would make more sense if you said he chose to skip against vandy or some crap like that, but skipping the ironbowl, against an undefeated Alabama team? I imagine most NFL scouts would want to see how he fares. The NFL does NOT care about bowl games. People need to just understand this. The same way the NBA doesn’t care about players leaving after one year of college. 

Correct, I am not serious in that I believe JS, or any player for that matter, would ever do this. Several posters had stated they are OK with CDs decision because the Peach Bowl was not for a championship and therefore did not matter. I presented a different scenario (albeit an extreme one) in which a star player did not play in a game where AU had no conference or national championship aspirations and asked if they would be OK if the player skipped the game. Of course, we would all be upset with this decision as the Iron Bowl is extremely important to us as fans and players. My point was to show that the games we deem important as fans may not match the games a player deems important. The AU fans who attended the Peach Bowl would likely claim the Peach Bowl was an important game, whereas CD did not feel that way.

You mentioned lesser teams than Alabama in the regular season. Would we as fans be OK with star players deciding which regular season games they will and won't participate in due to the risk of injury? This isn't happening now, but what's to prevent it from happening in the future? If coaches allow it in the bowl games then why not in the regular season?

51 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This discussion is centered on an NFL draft hopeful playing or not. What I find interesting is a bigger issue beneath the surface, and potentially a much great risk to college football in the long run. And that is, the number of fans and players who have now decided a non-playoff game bowl is unimportant and insignificant. In these threads about CD, one of the most prevalent statements is “meaningless game”. Times have certainly changed. Not sure where it’s headed, and not sure if we will be happy fans when we find out. 

I can't believe any AU coach, player, or fan sees any game as meaningless and therefore can be overlooked. But if that's where the game is headed, then there's a bumpy road ahead and I agree that we fans might not be happy where that road leads. Maybe no bowls games outside the playoffs if the money dries up from lack of fan enthusiasm?

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

yea-k.gif

When you lack a well reasoned response, resort to a gif. Seems to be the thing to do these days.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When you lack a well reasoned response, resort to a gif. Seems to be the thing to do these days.

Kind of like ad hominems, huh?

3 hours ago, TigerTale said:

Correct, I am not serious in that I believe JS, or any player for that matter, would ever do this. Several posters had stated they are OK with CDs decision because the Peach Bowl was not for a championship and therefore did not matter. I presented a different scenario (albeit an extreme one) in which a star player did not play in a game where AU had no conference or national championship aspirations and asked if they would be OK if the player skipped the game. Of course, we would all be upset with this decision as the Iron Bowl is extremely important to us as fans and players. My point was to show that the games we deem important as fans may not match the games a player deems important. The AU fans who attended the Peach Bowl would likely claim the Peach Bowl was an important game, whereas CD did not feel that way.

You mentioned lesser teams than Alabama in the regular season. Would we as fans be OK with star players deciding which regular season games they will and won't participate in due to the risk of injury? This isn't happening now, but what's to prevent it from happening in the future? If coaches allow it in the bowl games then why not in the regular season?

Nothing is to prevent it from happening . In fact, I believe against a lesser opponent it will happen in the future eventually. I wouldn’t take it personal so to speak. Can’t speak for everyone else.

I guess I still retain things I learned in school ball, four years in the military and so forth. You don't bail out on your buddy when things get a little tough. B. Smith, K. Johnson and J. Holland are all heading to the NFL and they all played. C. Davis chose not to play. Suppose you are in a shooting war, which of the above four do you want in a foxhole with you? It darn sure ain't gonna be C. Davis!

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Why shouldn't it have gotten out? Assuming it's the truth, his teammates don't owe Davis any favors. He didn't care enough about them to try to help them win a game. Loyalty earns loyalty in return. C. Davis showed no loyalty so he isn't due any.

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Why shouldn't it have gotten out? Assuming it's the truth, his teammates don't owe Davis any favors. He didn't care enough about them to try to help them win a game. Loyalty earns loyalty in return. C. Davis showed no loyalty so he isn't due any.

Because that was a personal conversation . Clearly he was close enough to share that with them. If Carlton Davis wanted to share that with the media then he would’ve done so. That wasn’t for them to share. They got baited and fell for it. Locker room/personal stuff should not be going to the media. In my field, the way you are acting , that is called being catty. That is the stuff they do on reality tv shows. You know? Things like the real housewives. A better thing to have done would be to take the high road and simply say Carton Davis was a great player for Auburn. He will be a great player for any NFL team who drafted him and I wish him the best . Or better yet, you direct them to Carlton Davis to answer that.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

I guess I still retain things I learned in school ball, four years in the military and so forth. You don't bail out on your buddy when things get a little tough. B. Smith, K. Johnson and J. Holland are all heading to the NFL and they all played. C. Davis chose not to play. Suppose you are in a shooting war, which of the above four do you want in a foxhole with you? It darn sure ain't gonna be C. Davis!

I know football and the military get compared often, and I certainly see some slight parallels, but comparing an exhibition bowl game to a shooting war is ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Because that was a personal conversation . Clearly he was close enough to share that with them. If Carlton Davis wanted to share that with the media then he would’ve done so. That wasn’t for them to share. They got baited and fell for it. Locker room/personal stuff should not be going to the media. In my field, the way you are acting , that is called being catty. That is the stuff they do on reality tv shows. You know? Things like the real housewives. A better thing to have done would be to take the high road and simply say Carton Davis was a great player for Auburn. He will be a great player for any NFL team who drafted him and I wish him the best . Or better yet, you direct them to Carlton Davis to answer that.

I get your point, but part of becoming an adult is taking accountability for your decisions. What he did is not groundbreaking or unique. Two examples from last year are Fournette and McCaffrey. They made a decision and made it public. I believe CD should’ve done the same. We would’ve been discussing this in December instead of late January. I hope he goes in the first round and makes a fortune though. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I know football and the military get compared often, and I certainly see some slight parallels, but comparing an exhibition bowl game to a shooting war is ridiculous. 

I’ve heard “I’d go to war with this team” from many athletes in my young adult. His point is not farfetched.

There is some war terminology that doesn’t fit well with athletic sport but is still used, regardless.

More war into football:

“Be a Warrior!!”

”Killer Instinct!”

”Blitz!”......Blitzkrieg

”Bomb”

”neutral zone”

”no man’s land”

”trenches”

On 1/23/2018 at 1:46 PM, tbone4jc said:

Meh.. i think everybody and they mommas knew about this!..

Most of us did anyway. And then I heard “muh flu season” from the self-righteous Auburn fans and then I just let it be.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Nothing is to prevent it from happening . In fact, I believe against a lesser opponent it will happen in the future eventually. I wouldn’t take it personal so to speak. Can’t speak for everyone else.

I agree that in the future we will see star players opt out of games against lesser opponents in the regular season. They will deem these games meaningless just as they deem bowl games meaningless and what's the point of playing in a meaningless game where the risk of injury exists?

But once you start down the road of meaningless games, and keep in mind we are talking about meaningless to the player not the fan, where does it end? I believe it will diminish the game and fans and players alike will be disappointed.

28 minutes ago, TigerTale said:

But once you start down the road of meaningless games, and keep in mind we are talking about meaningless to the player not the fan, where does it end?

Can somebody tell me what makes the non- playoff contending bowl game more meaningless than the two or three cupcake regular season games or any SEC game after we are already mathematically out of contending for the SEC and the playoff? I mean there are times when we are eliminated from  all preseason goals during the regular season so do we just consider the the rest of the season meaningless and tell our coaches to save our “stars” for the draft?

Also, the bowl game isn’t meaningless to the bowl sponsors. If I were them, I’d start demanding 100% participation from the non-injured players or pass on the team.

If the NCAA allows the redshirts to participate in four games total, you will see a renewed meaning into bowl games also. You will see players chomping at the bit to show what they have in front of their fans and the coaches would be able to see earlier who has the goods to play and who doesn’t. Not only that, hopefully this means Gus can use and abuse his number one backs during SEC competition and during the s*** games he will completely give them the day off as the redshirts can fill in.  The potential is there to completely revamp and gameplan for a new type of season. 

I have a hard time classifying a New Years Day bowl against an undefeated opponent as “meaningless”.  Is every game other than a playoff game or one that gets you into a playoff game now meaningless?  If that’s the case why don’t we just do the whole season as a playoff.   Just play 5 exhibitions like the pros then seed the season of 128 or whatever the number of teams here are these days.  128-64-32-16-8-4–2-1.  There you go.  It would take 7 games to determine the champion.  Then the truly meaningless exhibitions would be played at the beginning of the season and everything else would be meaningful.  Of course, the great rivalries that have made game what it is would mostly go away but occasionally Auburn/Alabama and Auburn/Georgia might be a really meaningful game if they happen to meet in the playoff.  And, of course, they could also meet in one of the exhibitions but those would be meaningless so I doubt anyone would show up to watch.  

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ve heard “I’d go to war with this team” from many athletes in my young adult. His point is not farfetched. 

You don't think it's far-fetched to insinuate that Carlton Davis would purposefully place his fellow soldiers' lives at risk during a firefight, because he sat out of the Peach Bowl? 

I've already stated that I don't like the decision he made, and I do think at some point in his life he will look back and feel some amount of regret, but the above analogy is, at least to me, a long, long stretch.

Now, I've never been to war, so I'll concede that I may be speaking out of my ass, but to compare a football game to a war zone seems to unfairly diminish the role of a soldier. 

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

You don't think it's far-fetched to insinuate that Carlton Davis would purposefully place his fellow soldiers' lives at risk during a firefight, because he sat out of the Peach Bowl? 

If he wouldn’t lay it on the line for for his buds in a football game because he is scared of the repercussions of possible injury, he doesn’t belong in a combat MOS and be would probably know that going in

15 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Now, I've never been to war, so I'll concede that I may be speaking out of my ass, but to compare a football game to a war zone seems to unfairly diminish the role of a soldier. 

Laying it all on the line for the greater good beyond the individual and brotherhood are the similarities. Don’t make it a football= firefights thing. It’s not.

Archived