Jan. 26-28 OV Thread

Mikey

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's because Gus has thrown his Magic Cloak of Orangeness over the football program and no information can escape out.. Several top recruits are being hypnotized so that on signing day they will sign with Auburn, no matter what other sources indicate. I know this because my friend's barber's uncle's wife is a beautician and does the hair of a woman whose husband is a Graduate Assistant for the swimming team.

Mikey's been in the good stuff this morning ladies & gentlemen.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I'm surprised we don't have a thread for him given that he's a 4 star leaning to AU according to some sites.   Not sure if the staff has a spot for best available at this point but if so he may be the one.

We do. Nobody has posted in it in a long time. Reality is after Tannor committed to UGA AU stopped talking to him til a couple weeks ago. I'd rather have Caleb Johnson anyway. I think he's the more talented player. Take him & see what he grows into.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2

• ellitor featured and pinned this topic
37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's here...No not Bray Wyatt.

Here is hoping he gets wifed up on this OV weekend. ALL credit goes to @aujeff11 on that fine gem! lol

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's here...No not Bray Wyatt.

I have been hoping that how much Auburn cares for our military and supports it would have a bigger impact on Ross with consideration to his mother.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:23 PM, Rednilla said:

I don't know, I just don't see him as being much of a boon for anything other than recruiting rankings. We have other needs.

I agree with you 110%. We need to get a couple of quality OL in this class. This should be our highest priority.  I am sure the coaches know what they are doing.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:36 AM, Mikey said:

Here is a preliminary list per AuburnSports.com. There are still some moving parts. OP will be updated this afternoon when the OV list is concretely known.

image.png

Are there more recruits here?  It looks like some have been cut off in your post.  Who is below Quay Walker?  Appreciate this my friend!

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Are there more recruits here?  It looks like some have been cut off in your post.  Who is below Quay Walker?  Appreciate this my friend!

It's a different visit date. The only other 2018 recruit here is signee Seth Williams.

21 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's a different visit date. The only other 2018 recruit here is signee Seth Williams.

You said that there are 3-4 slots now. Did we lose someone today? I am curious as to how we now have an extra slot or 2. I appreciate your knowledge and patience with the Doc.

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

You said that there are 3-4 slots now. Did we lose someone today? I am curious as to how we now have an extra slot or 2. I appreciate your knowledge and patience with the Doc.

No. Carlito Gonzales didn't count last year so we can sign 26 with 1 of the January enrollies counting back to 2017.

• Thanks 1

I have said it before but I think Pearl is the best recruiter we have for all sports. He always seems to put on a show for the Football recruits.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Mikey's been in the good stuff this morning ladies & gentlemen.

whatever he is taking, I want some of the good stuff! Then again, Gus has everything locked down in his treasure trove of secrets! Mikey better watch it in that Gus will be knocking on his door demanding him to turn over the top secret information that he managed to get his hands on.

4 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I have said it before but I think Pearl is the best recruiter we have for all sports. He always seems to put on a show for the Football recruits.

Butch Thompson would like a word with you! He is a stone cold killer on the trail! But yah him or BRUUUUUUUCE would be my picks.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Butch Thompson would like a word with you! He is a stone cold killer on the trail! But yah him or BRUUUUUUUCE would be my picks.

I think he meant that the show the b-ball team is putting on with the energy in the arena, all largely thanks to BP, is recruiting basketball/football/all things Auburn right now better than anything else. That you, E, lol?

Edited by fredst

6 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think he meant that the show the b-ball team is putting on with the energy in the arena, all largely thanks to BP, is recruiting basketball/football/all things Auburn right now better than anything else. That you, E?

mr fred! I had a narrative and agenda I wanted to push it regardless of how they meant it. WOOOOOO!!!!! ya dig?! haha LETS GO! 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

mr fred! I had a narrative and agenda I wanted to push it regardless of how they meant it. WOOOOOO!!!!! ya dig?! haha LETS GO! 

94BFFAC4-E0AB-4A32-8396-F99D2976C240.gif

5 minutes ago, fredst said:

94BFFAC4-E0AB-4A32-8396-F99D2976C240.gif

19907146.gif

• Haha 2

lol justyn ross wearing earbuds during the basketball game.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Listening to rammer jammer they played after bama beat OK.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nobody looks like they are having much fun in that pic. Hope that was beginning of the night and things got better

On 1/27/2018 at 7:45 AM, Mikey said:

That's because Gus has thrown his Magic Cloak of Orangeness over the football program and no information can escape out.. Several top recruits are being hypnotized so that on signing day they will sign with Auburn, no matter what other sources indicate. I know this because my friend's barber's uncle's wife is a beautician and does the hair of a woman whose husband is a Graduate Assistant for the swimming team.

Dang, your friend and I got the same barber!!!!  LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Nobody looks like they are having much fun in that pic. Hope that was beginning of the night and things got better

They were bored with how badly we were beating the snot out of LSU.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

It’s been a big weekend of recruiting for Auburn.

The Tigers hosted six Class of 2018 prospects on official visits. 4-star linebacker Quay Walker, 4-star wide receiver Justyn Ross, 4-star defensive linemen Caleb Tannor, 3-star defensive end Caleb Johnson, 3-star cornerback CD Daniels and 4-star wide receiver Seth Williams.

Two of those prospects — Walker and Ross — are top-50 prospects nationally. Walker remains committed to Alabama, but the stud linebacker from Cordele, Ga., is showing interest in Tennessee, Auburn and Georgia. Ross is down to Auburn, Alabama and Clemson. This had to be a home-run weekend for the in-state wide receiver.

Tannor and Johnson are a pair of defensive line prospects who have been regulars on the Plains this year. Johnson is a high-academic, good-character guy with a lot of versatility and athleticism. Tannor is a pass-rusher who has had high interest dating back to when he committed to Georgia over Auburn in the summer.

Daniels, a cornerback from Homewood, Ala., has received interest from the Tigers prior to his de-commitment from Memphis. If Auburn wants to go with another cornerback, Daniels could receive an offer.

Williams is already signed with Auburn, so his official visit was more of a formality than anything.

The 2018 class visitors weren’t the only prospects on campus being recruited. Four members of the 2019 class were on campus for unofficial visits, as well. Five-star linebacker Nakobe Dean, cornerback Raydarious Jones, cornerback Christian Williams and athlete Malik Washington all visited campus Saturday, hanging out with coaches and players, including going to the Auburn basketball game.

There will be updates on the six 2018 official visitors and a few of the 2019 unofficial visitors throughout the day Sunday. Hang around at SEC Country for the latest updates in Auburn football recruiting as the countdown to National Signing Day begins.

• To give you an idea of what this weekend consisted of, here’s a rundown of a few things official visitors did. As always, they got to see the school side of things, checking out academic buildings, etc. A big portion of the football program attended the basketball game, including all of the recruits. There was a good bit of time spent at Gus Malzahn’s house, especially at the end of the night for Justyn Ross’ family.
  • Ross came on his official visit with his grandmother, mother and aunt. They spent some time with the Malzahn family at their house on Saturday night. Impressing mom and grandma will be critical in lifting Auburn over Clemson and Alabama in this recruitment. It won’t be easy.
  • Three of the four unofficial 2019 visitors — Dean, Jones and Williams — stayed overnight rather than taking long drives back last night. Dean and Jones are high school teammates from Mississippi who spent a lot of time with new defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson, who has roots in Mississippi.
  • Quay Walker spent a lot of his time with high school teammate, Markaviest “Big Kat” Bryant, as you’d probably imagine. The two are quite close and have had similar end-of-cycle recruitments with multiple SEC programs battling for their talents. Many see Tennessee and Georgia as more-likely flip candidates than Auburn. Let’s see if this weekend changes that.
  • All six official visitors have arrived at the Auburn recruiting complex to wrap up their official visits. The morning usually consists of final conversations with members of the coaching staff — often family time in Gus Malzahn’s office. I’d expect most of the prospects to head out around 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., but I’ll keep you posted.
  • One of the 2019 prospects Christian Williams, a cornerback from Daphne, Ala., is still hanging our Auburn’s campus Sunday. His whole family is with him. There are quite a lot of them. Williams is unranked for now, but don’t expect it to stay that way. He has already picked up SEC offers from Auburn, South Carolina and Ole Miss. Williams has a nice frame to him, so I can see why teams are high on him.
  • The other two 2019 overnighters Nakobe Dean and Raydarious Jones have made it over to the complex on Sunday. As they have for most of the weekend, they’ll spend much of their time with Marcus Woodson, as well. Woodson’s connection to Mississippi will go a long way with deep classes in that state for the 2019 and 2020 classes.
  • I’m hearing Justyn Ross’ visit won’t end when his family leaves. Since he arrived Saturday (because of a Friday night basketball game), Ross is going to hang around a little longer when his grandmother and mother leave. He’ll spend some extra time with Kodi Burns before being taken back to Phenix City, Ala.
  • Caleb Johnson wrapped up his official visit. He’s got three schools most on his mind — Florida, Georgia and Auburn. He says that’s the order of how hard each of the three schools are recruiting him. The Tigers are starting to pick things up, however. He spent this weekend with more than defensive line coach Rodney Garner who had been his primary point man so far. He won’t take anymore visits before his National Signing Day decision. Keep an eye out for Auburn’s in-home visits to check his priority.
  • CD Daniels has left his official visit. He didn’t reveal much. Daniels said Auburn hasn’t offered yet, but he gave a smirk and a shrug when asked what’s going to happen with that. He said to stayed tuned for Feb. 7. I’m told the Tigers are trying to work out numbers, but it isn’t out of the question. He has a prior relationship with new defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson since he was committed to Memphis. Daniels said he’s looking forward to the opportunity to play for Woodson at a different spot. Daniels spent a lot of time this morning with early enrollees Asa Martin and Joey Gatewood.
  • Quay Walker departed his official visit. As expected, he didn’t do interviews. But he has a big sending-off group of Kevin Steele, Rodney Garner and Travis Williams. Walker received as much attention this weekend as any recruit I can think of in recent memory. There’s no question he’s at the top of the high-priority list.
  • Justyn Ross left his official visit and said Auburn is still in it with Clemson and Alabama despite the national perception. He’ll get an in-home visit with Gus Malzahn this week. Nick Saban has already made his in-home visit. Dabo Swinney is expected to do so, as well. Ross was able to hang out with Shedrick Jackson, Asa Martin and Joey Gatewood — three prospects he knows quite well — and that’s helpful for the Tigers. He won’t take an official visit next week, so he can use the next week and a half to form a decision with his family. He wants them to be comfortable with his choice.
  • Caleb Tannor was the last official visitor to leave. He was in the same jolly mood he’s always in. Tannor is down to three schools of Auburn, Florida and Nebraska, but he kept using the word “both” about his decision as if it’s down to Auburn and Florida. He plans to take an official visit next weekend to Florida State or Miami and one of those schools could get in the mix. Tannor will make his final decision on National Signing Day during a ceremony at his school. This will likely come down to Auburn and Florida. He’s much more familiar with Auburn than Florida, but he liked his official visit with the Gators last weekend.