Why did Holland leave early?

GwillMac6

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php Latest NFL Mock draft has him keeping on sliding back and this time all the way to the fourth round. It Has carlton going in the first and kj in the second. Listen I am all for our guys making the right decision and bettering themselves with their very best draft position and coming out for the draft WHEN IT MAKES sense. Carlton is going to be a first round pick. That is the biggest no brainer. KJ could not of possibly had a better season than he had this season plus being the bell cow in the gus system there is always a chance you get injured again by being run down and with KJ's injury history he basically had no other choice but to come out. But holland? why? He does not have great measurables. He is not going to be a shorts and t shorts warrior at the combine. He only has 1 good year on tape. A guy like him to have the best chance at going early needs to put as many good seasons as possible on tape for scouts to see where they have no choice but to take you early even if you do not have the desirable measurables. This one was the only head scratcher for me. What say you AU family?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Maybe he cannot stand going to school. Maybe he and his family are dirt poor.  Maybe he just had to go chase his dream, now. 

He could of came back had another beast season and basically guaranteed himself more money with a higher draft position. I appreciate your differing view points though!!! WOOOO!!!!! thanks brother. Just wanted a fun, healthy discussion for the off season and with the combine coming up.

Maybe someone should just ask him! Then we’ll know instead of a bunch of guessing. Not trying to be smarty pants, just don’t want to read all the negative posts that are sure to follow.

Gwill, we don’t have differing views on this. From a draft position viewpoint, I think he should have stayed another year. But from his personal situation, I don’t have any inside information on what makes him tick. Maybe he was just sick of going to school. Maybe ....

Regardless, I am glad he came to AU. 

47 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

Maybe ...

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

Maybe ...

...He can!

What does it matter?

ETA - WDE Mr. Holland!

All it takes is one team to fall in love with him and he show out. Obviously most people want to get drafted in the first two rounds , third at the latest, but it seems that the third and fourth rounders have been quality players for premier teams. I am often surprised at how many later round guys become impact players in the NFL

Walter Football doesn't know anything.  Its a site that literally started by doing nothing but compiling other peoples' mock drafts.  They don't have real sources and they aren't "scouts".

We'll see how Holland tests.  I didn't think that he had the athleticism to rip a full backflip, but here he is:

He reminded me of Quentin Groves a little bit but Groves chose to come back and he was a second round pick. I thought Holland would have a chance to get picked that high with another year. But who knows maybe he did not think he could sustain those sack numbers for another season

Either way I freaking loved watching him play over the last few years and watching him grow into the beast he became this past season. He is a perfect example for those who don't exercise patience with these kids. Holland went from a guy who showed out on a few plays as a freshman to a sophomore who got to the QB consistently but couldn't finish the play to a junior who was wrecking offensive gameplans by himself. War damn Holland 

If I'm not mistaken NFL scouts projected him as a solid 2nd round with possibly high 2nd round.  That would justify a decision to leave early.  I'm not sure what has happened since then. 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Maybe someone should just ask him! Then we’ll know instead of a bunch of guessing. Not trying to be smarty pants, just don’t want to read all the negative posts that are sure to follow.

why in the world would any negative posts come about holland? He was our defensive superstar this year. It is just a good healthy discussion/debate. This is not exactly neiko thorpe or jake holland 2 very polarizing players! lol.

He made a decision he thought he had to make.  I am pretty sure he was not enrolled at AU on an academic scholly so athletically, he is trying to maximize what he believes is his potential for making money.

wde

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php Latest NFL Mock draft has him keeping on sliding back and this time all the way to the fourth round. It Has carlton going in the first and kj in the second. Listen I am all for our guys making the right decision and bettering themselves with their very best draft position and coming out for the draft WHEN IT MAKES sense. Carlton is going to be a first round pick. That is the biggest no brainer. KJ could not of possibly had a better season than he had this season plus being the bell cow in the gus system there is always a chance you get injured again by being run down and with KJ's injury history he basically had no other choice but to come out. But holland? why? He does not have great measurables. He is not going to be a shorts and t shorts warrior at the combine. He only has 1 good year on tape. A guy like him to have the best chance at going early needs to put as many good seasons as possible on tape for scouts to see where they have no choice but to take you early even if you do not have the desirable measurables. This one was the only head scratcher for me. What say you AU family?

He is money hungry. Most of what him and Carlton and some others talk about on social media ...He's really into expensive clothes. Like you said I can understand with the other players. He should be fine though. 

4 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

Maybe he cannot stand going to school. Maybe he and his family are dirt poor.  Maybe he just had to go chase his dream, now. 

He definitely ain't poor. He's had very expensive clothes this whole time... Somehow.

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

He is money hungry. Most of what him and Carlton and some others talk about on social media ...He's really into expensive clothes. Like you said I can understand with the other players. He should be fine though. 

Appreciate it muhhhhhhhhhhh dude!!! No sarcasm that is exactly the kind of insight I am looking for!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!! THanks brodie.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Appreciate it muhhhhhhhhhhh dude!!! No sarcasm that is exactly the kind of insight I am looking for!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!! THanks brodie.

Is this negative?

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I love Davis, but a guarnteed 1st round lock, he is not. 

I agree with the rest you said though.

27 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I love Davis, but a guarnteed 1st round lock, he is not. 

I agree with the rest you said though.

I don’t think that was his point. It is about leaving when it makes the most sense. The consensus from a variety of sources is that CD is a late 1st rounders barring any inconsistency between now and then. At the very least, he has a high chance of going in the first two rounds. It makes sense for him to make the leap.

47 minutes ago, toddc said:

Is this negative?

Not at all!!! #beatflorida. #Iamgoingtomisssenseimud.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t think that was his point. It is about leaving when it makes the most sense. The consensus from a variety of sources is that CD is a late 1st rounders barring any inconsistency between now and then. At the very least, he has a high chance of going in the first two rounds. It makes sense for him to make the leap.

I 100% agree with this. I just pointed out that Davis being a sure fire 1st rounder isn't set in stone as say Carlos Rogers was. He was a sure fire 1st rounder. As much as I love CD, he didn't own half the field like Rogers did.

As far as Holland goes, I sure wish he had stuck around for another year and improved his stock, but that's just me being selfish wanting him to dominate on our DL again next season. But I think it's ok, I feel Coe will step right in and not miss a beat. But it sure would be been nice to see sensei mud lined up for us next season.

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I 100% agree with this. I just pointed out that Davis being a sure fire 1st rounder isn't set in stone as say Carlos Rogers was. He was a sure fire 1st rounder. As much as I love CD, he didn't own half the field like Rogers did.

As far as Holland goes, I sure wish he had stuck around for another year and improved his stock, but that's just me being selfish wanting him to dominate on our DL again next season. But I think it's ok, I feel Coe will step right in and not miss a beat. But it sure would be been nice to see sensei mud lined up for us next season.

Oh most definitely. He was nowhere near Carols Rogers level. I suspect CD is built up so high because of the measures that these GMs and scouts love so much. He is over 6'0 feet and he is a CB who can cover with great length, so the potential at the next level is through the roof, even if the play doesn't match up. It seems like people fall in love with measurements much more than the ability to play the game. It is like the uproar of the Seahawks drafting RW in the third round even though, he was a clear winner in college football, under a system geared for the next level.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Oh most definitely. He was nowhere near Carols Rogers level. I suspect CD is built up so high because of the measures that these GMs and scouts love so much. He is over 6'0 feet and he is a CB who can cover with great length, so the potential at the next level is through the roof, even if the play doesn't match up. It seems like people fall in love with measurements much more than the ability to play the game. It is like the uproar of the Seahawks drafting RW in the third round even though, he was a clear winner in college football, under a system geared for the next level.

And I love that Tutt has taken it upon himself to choose to wear no. 6. Greg Brown told him that we needed a Carlton type but he can be better than Carlton. That's certainly plausible in my mind. He's fast and physical...he'll be the guy that covers like a CB and hits like a S.

Archived