Men vs. Charleston

WarTiger

I am really looking forward to Sexton v. Brunson. Might be the best guard matchup of the tourney. 

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved how the team grimes out this win. We played terrible in about every way on the offensive end of the court but still managed to pull it out. War eagle and beat Clemson!

44 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Did a quick count and in the first round, 25 teams scored in the 60s and 14 were in the 50s or lower.  Only 12 teams scored over 80 and some of those were playing each other..     

https://www.bing.com/search?q=round+of+64+results&form=WNSGPH&qs=SW&cvid=fecb9ddb08ba4ad8a1427cc12a577f3d&pq=round+of+64+results&cc=US&setlang=en-US&nclid=D61C9E66EA31E4763B8BB9B25693DEA4&ts=1521297162474

The tournament changes they way teams play.  Some of it is probably the pressure of the situations.....but also many underdogs attempt to slow down their high flying opponents.     In most of the low scoring games a 10 point lead seems insurmountable and the tension is really high because every basket is so important. 

The arenas have a lot to do with it. Good shooting teams often have issues shooting in large arenas because of the depth perception changing compared to a normal gym. It happens every year. I'm not surprised we shot so poorly last night. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Did a quick count and in the first round, 25 teams scored in the 60s and 14 were in the 50s or lower.  Only 12 teams scored over 80 and some of those were playing each other..     

https://www.bing.com/search?q=round+of+64+results&form=WNSGPH&qs=SW&cvid=fecb9ddb08ba4ad8a1427cc12a577f3d&pq=round+of+64+results&cc=US&setlang=en-US&nclid=D61C9E66EA31E4763B8BB9B25693DEA4&ts=1521297162474

The tournament changes they way teams play.  Some of it is probably the pressure of the situations.....but also many underdogs attempt to slow down their high flying opponents.     In most of the low scoring games a 10 point lead seems insurmountable and the tension is really high because every basket is so important. 

lol 64!!! Come on!!! I am hurt you do not think I know what I am talking about! THIS IS HOW VIRGINIA PLAYS and has been playing!!! It is called bennett ball. They are the 298th scoring team in the country at 67.1 points per game! IT IS DREADFUL DREADFUL DREADFUL and awful to watch and so boring. SO I say again GOOD RIDDANCE! GOOD BYE!!!! SO glad they are gone. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/points-per-game. We however are 16th in the ENTIRE COUNTRY at 82.7 points per game. BRUCE #$%^&* PEARL BABY!!!!!!!!! LEEEEETS GO!!!!! 

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Not a Hoosiers fan, are you?

GREAT MOVIE!!!! But def would not enjoy watching that game in game out. Def one of my favorite sport movies ever for sure!!! Again I will say I am so glad Pearl is our coach and we play a fun exciting aesthetically pleasing style of play. Yesterday we won ugly though. WOOOOOO!!!!!!! A win is a win. We are going for 75 plus vs clemson tomorrow. KNOCK ON WOOD!

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The arenas have a lot to do with it. Good shooting teams often have issues shooting in large arenas because of the depth perception changing compared to a normal gym. It happens every year. I'm not surprised we shot so poorly last night. 

the early round games are not at big arenas. Those come at the regional and final four sites in stadiums. All the round of 64 and 32 games come in regular arenas.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol 64!!! Come on!!! I am hurt you do not think I know what I am talking about! THIS IS HOW VIRGINIA PLAYS and has been playing!!! It is called bennett ball. They are the 298th scoring team in the country at 67.1 points per game! IT IS DREADFUL DREADFUL DREADFUL and awful to watch and so boring. SO I say again GOOD RIDDANCE! GOOD BYE!!!! SO glad they are gone. https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/points-per-game. We however are 16th in the ENTIRE COUNTRY at 82.7 points per game. BRUCE #$%^&* PEARL BABY!!!!!!!!! LEEEEETS GO!!!!! 

I been watching them too...just noting that lots of teams play that way and lots of teams are hard to watch....You must not pay much attention because take a look at the top "defensive teams" and note how many of them are playing this week.   Virginia just frustrates opponents but I'm guessing that if you were up there you would be OK with Bennett's coaching.  Virginia is not going to get a bunch of 4* and 5* players and you ought to give them credit for figuring out how to win with who they can recruit.  

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/146

You can either try to outscore them....or stop them from scoring.....both ways can work.  

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

the early round games are not at big arenas. Those come at the regional and final four sites in stadiums. All the round of 64 and 32 games come in regular arenas.

They are bigger than most college gyms, though.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I been watching them too...just noting that lots of teams play that way and lots of teams are hard to watch....You must not pay much attention because take a look at the top "defensive teams" and note how many of them are playing this week.   Virginia just frustrates opponents but I'm guessing that if you were up there you would be OK with Bennett's coaching.  Virginia is not going to get a bunch of 4* and 5* players and you ought to give them credit for figuring out how to win with who they can recruit.  

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/146

You can either try to outscore them....or stop them from scoring.....both ways can work.  

lol they just became the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16 seed and they got throttled. That is the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to a college basketball team ever. They will forever be a trivia question. They are regular season babies. Their style is not a recipe for success in the post season. Bennett is only 10-8 in the ncaa tourney and they have been a 1 seed 3 times in the past few years and only once did they make it past the sweet 16. Bennett is a really good coach but that is not a style of play that is going to attract ANY top level talent. No one wants to play in that junk offense. It is abysmal.

Why do weird things always happen to Auburn?  Late in the game last night Okeke was fouled but the officials said Harper was fouled and sent him to the line.  No other official noticed the mistake and of course Auburn wasn't going to say anything. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Why do weird things always happen to Auburn?  Late in the game last night Okeke was fouled but the officials said Harper was fouled and sent him to the line.  No other official noticed the mistake and of course Auburn wasn't going to say anything. 

Yeah, that is crazy! Can't believe no one caught that for Charleston

4 hours ago, around4ever said:

Of course the announcers made a big deal out of it.  They repeatedly showed the controversial bad call and went over it numerous times ... ;)

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bennett is only 10-8 in the ncaa tourney and they have been a 1 seed 3 times

That must be a joke....you complaining about that?

Trivia question:  Who is the last AU coach to be 8-10 in the NCAA tourney play? ..or be a 1 seed even once?  

After Terry Holland left, , Virginia's basketball history looked a lot like Auburn...went years without making the tournament and were barely a .500 team.  UVA is reasonably strict on academics and previous coaches had problems recruiting good players. . 

Ugly as it is, his style of play is probably what it takes to win with the kind of players they can attract and sign.  Trust you remember that they beat Clemson twice, North Carolina twice and Duke once.....I'd be happy if we can just beat Clemson once when we get them tomorrow. 

Yahoo sports headline just now

”Sneaky Sneaky” “Auburn tricked unknowing refs to seal its win”

Really?? This is just getting absurd.

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I noticed that....crap like that gets tiresome....

Just now, AU64 said:

I noticed that....crap like that gets tiresome....

It really is, it’s almost like they are trying to make AU the villain of the tournament. I also urge people not to read the comments on that article either, it’s worse than al.com by a mile. U’d think we were the most hated team in the ncaa by reading them.

8 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It really is, it’s almost like they are trying to make AU the villain of the tournament. I also urge people not to read the comments on that article either, it’s worse than al.com by a mile. U’d think we were the most hated team in the ncaa by reading them.

Yep...I don't give them the satisfaction of a "click".....didn't even check to see who wrote the piece......but twice in a day someone has accused us of stealing the win.... when the mystery foul by Brown was not called....and now this.  

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

I made the mistake of reading the comments... you can’t fix that level of stupid

shame on you ...:angry:.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

That must be a joke....you complaining about that?

Trivia question:  Who is the last AU coach to be 8-10 in the NCAA tourney play? ..or be a 1 seed even once?  

After Terry Holland left, , Virginia's basketball history looked a lot like Auburn...went years without making the tournament and were barely a .500 team.  UVA is reasonably strict on academics and previous coaches had problems recruiting good players. . 

Ugly as it is, his style of play is probably what it takes to win with the kind of players they can attract and sign.  Trust you remember that they beat Clemson twice, North Carolina twice and Duke once.....I'd be happy if we can just beat Clemson once when we get them tomorrow. 

What are they going to remember about this season? it is not going to be the regular season title or conference tourney title it will be ABOUT BEING THE FIRST ONE SEED TO EVER LOSE to a 16 seed. And it is not just that they were a 1 seed it is that they were the number 1 overall seed. All that other stuff will not make them feel any better. There is no way to spin this. It is downright embarrassing. I for one am glad. No one wants to watch that crap junk ball he plays. Virginia has some good history. They have been to 2 final fours. They have been to 6 elite eights. This is not some perennial conference cellar dwellar we are talking about. That is a cop out to say he can only attract certain kinds of players. MAYBE if he would run a fun exciting up tempo style like he did at washington state with klay thompson where they were bombs away from three he could recruit more 4 and 5 star talent and mcdonalds all americans. NO top recruit wants to play in that system. Until it changes it will stay that way. His style of play is built for the regular season.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

shame on you ...:angry:.

That was a joke 1987....but you gotta be aware of that stuff and not give them the satisfaction....:)

12 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

They had us picked to lose as their upset special, the writers probably lost a bunch of money betting that way. That makes me happy! :)

My bracket was a disaster...I expected a number of upsets and picked some....but had the worst outcome possible.....my "upset specials" managed to win and my sure winners went home early.   Started with the PAC ( I will never bet on them again) followed by Wichita State and NC State, Miami and Va Tech (boo ACC).....and of course the cream on the whipped cherry was Virginia.     And then there were Florida and Tennessee (:))  which I was happy to lose.  

The group I am in with for the tournament voted me out after my lackluster performance....pulled down the team score....

Archived